We want to pass on the same country we grew up in to our children

ElmerMudd

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2009
Northwest
The cry has been there is there is way too much change going on. Many are saying they want to pass on the same country they grew up to their children.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's. It was time of prosperity and there is much of that world I would like to maintain and pass on to the next generation.

The bigger problem is not that our politics are changing the issue is our population is changing.

We have almost 100 million more legal citizens in the US than we did in the 1950's. The per centage of our population that is non white is substantially higher and growing. Our wealth is concentrated with a smaller per centage of the population and the per centage of the population living in poverty has increased substantially. The problems and issues we face are substantially different.

THE WORLD WE ALL GREW UP IS GONE. WE CANNOT PASS IT ON TO OUR CHILDREN.
We must do all we can to make to make our country the best it can be for our children.

OLD SOLUTIONS WILL NOT WORK FOR TODAY'S PROBLEMS.

WE MUST DEVELOP SOLUTIONS FOR OUR COUNTRY THE WAY IT IS NOT THE WAY WE WISH IT WAS. We can make our counntry better but we cannot make it the same. We must deal with real world and real world solutions.

Thank you, ElmerMudd, for a great comment. There was much I liked. I, however, despised colored drinking fountains and segregated theatre balconies for the minorities and so many children with polio and a peacetime draft that robbed young men of their youth, killing them at times. And so many other things I don't want back at all.

Change is the only consistent historical fact about the U.S. New York City had more than 50% aliens in the 1860s, for instance. One of two colonists in 1775 spoke another language than English as the family first language. And so forth and so on.

The republic as we knew it is gone, and it is not coming back. Those who will be successful must master the continuing centralization of community and business and government, and must be the masters of technological change. Race means nothing any more in terms of power. Sex is meaning much less in terms of power. Religion means almost nothing (except in the small town) in terms of power. Either adapt or be marginalized.

Thank you, ElmerMudd, for a great comment. There was much I liked. I, however, despised colored drinking fountains and segregated theatre balconies for the minorities and so many children with polio and a peacetime draft that robbed young men of their youth, killing them at times. And so many other things I don't want back at all.

Change is the only consistent historical fact about the U.S. New York City had more than 50% aliens in the 1860s, for instance. One of two colonists in 1775 spoke another language than English as the family first language. And so forth and so on.

The republic as we knew it is gone, and it is not coming back. Those who will be successful must master the continuing centralization of community and business and government, and must be the masters of technological change. Race means nothing any more in terms of power. Sex is meaning much less in terms of power. Religion means almost nothing (except in the small town) in terms of power. Either adapt or be marginalized.

I agree with and understand the premise but to many people seem to want to through out the baby with the bath water.

I agree with and understand the premise but to many people seem to want to through out the baby with the bath water.

Each generation, I think, must feel like that. That the generations since 1980 have never known the undying, summer-long sandlot ball game -- a practice that stretched back into the previous century -- is very sad to me.

The three-day bible vacation school during the summer in Miss Evan's garage (one week long, cookies and milk for snacks, and bible stories) was held in almost every small community in America, all of which had a Ms. Evans. Even the Jewish kids came to bible school in my town.

But. . . such is the human condition since the Industrial Revolution that changed time and space in the world. We can only go back if we have an apocalyptic event that kills the technology. No thank you. I will keep what I have, thank you very much.

Each generation, I think, must feel like that. That the generations since 1980 have never known the undying, summer-long sandlot ball game -- a practice that stretched back into the previous century -- is very sad to me.

The three-day bible vacation school during the summer in Miss Evan's garage (one week long, cookies and milk for snacks, and bible stories) was held in almost every small community in America, all of which had a Ms. Evans. Even the Jewish kids came to bible school in my town.

But. . . such is the human condition since the Industrial Revolution that changed time and space in the world. We can only go back if we have an apocalyptic event that kills the technology. No thank you. I will keep what I have, thank you very much.

Once again I understand, The only constant is change, but that said there is always the base principles that we attempt to hold to. That is what I was refering to.

The cry has been there is there is way too much change going on. Many are saying they want to pass on the same country they grew up to their children.
Understandable that you would want to pass on the good to your children. But I wonder... do you think at least some of that wistfulness is nostalgia? And maybe things weren't so perfect at a time when women couldn't access the work force in any meaningful way; and people didn't go to college; and got married so young that they were still kids when they had kids.

Perhaps we just have our own happy memories of childhood and that's separate and apart from the politics of the time?

I don't know the answer. But I do know that I don't want to turn the same world over to my son...I want it to be better.

I agree that we do not want to unnecessarily make changes. We must maintain our values and principles.

But we cannot deny change. We cannot deny the reality of the world. We cannot wish away the realities of our country.

We must have solutions for all, not just solutions that meet our individual needs.

Forum List

Back