We should unite with libs and take to the streets on Port issue!

Here we go again with streams of lies, repeated over and over again. This debate is being framed with innacurate and ignorant comments. This disinformation will be turned into liberal mantras that even REPUBLICANS chant. It has been made CRYSTAL clear that security ( remember--the important issue here? ) will NOT CHANGE ONE IOTA. Americans are in charge of it and will continue to be in charge of it yet over and over I hear the administration being accused of putting our SECURITY in the hands of another country. Ever wonder why people, supposedly even smart people, repeat this over and over when they KNOW FULL WELL it's a lie? C,mon people--at least nip this one in the bud so we dont have to listen to it along with all the other Liberal lies.

Fmr jarhead said:
You are quite incorrect in your ASSumption that the UAE is HOSTILE toward the US. WE continue to transport military troops and equipment through Abu Dabi and Dubai, as well as maintain one of our forward command centers there....there is little, if any hostile intent of the majority of UAE citizens since we became the 3rd country to recognize them as a soveriegn collective of states in the early 70's.

It appears as though you have drunk the Koolaid, and are ready to fall in to lockstep with the looney bats on this one....

Ask yourself if this is really about business or your fear of Muslims.....

Ask yourself if you are really all that comfortable suddenly calling me a koolaid drinker just because I don't want our ports given over to a Muslim government when most of the world's Muslims want us dead. UAE, just like Saudi Arabia, is cordial to us publicly, but I don't trust them enough to control our six biggest ports. Hell, I wouldn't trust the British government to run our ports because I don't think it they should be controlled by any foreign government, but handing them over to a Muslim government is just stupid. BTW, did you actually read what I posted or do you assume that I'm just like anybody else who disagrees with you?

And for how this will make our ports more vulnerable, I'm still trying to figure out what I could say that would satisfy you in that fashion. Most Muslims want us dead. UAE is mostly Muslim. Rumor has it that some crazy Muslims have a nuke. The easiest way to get one of those into the country is by ship. The ships are checked by the people who own the ports they're going to. If a Muslims country owns the ports, then this Muslim country will be inspecting the ships. If it turns out that the crazy ones really do have a nuke, all they have to do is find one Muslim supervisor that's sympathetic to their cause to get a nuke into a harbor. With a government running the thing, it'll be far less likely that they'll be more careful about things like background screening, since government agencies don't typically look to be profitable, like corporations do. That is, of course, assuming that that government isn't looking to stab us in the back, which is very likely, and then it's even more dangerous.

If the company stays in the hands of a private firm, you can be damn sure that they'll be as damn sure as they can be that they aren't hiring any Al Qaida members to inspect crates for suspicious or dangerous cargo. I really don't know how I can make it any clearer than that.

BTW, I'm a red meat-eating, gun-toting, small government, low taxes, grunting, rough and tumble, red-blooded American conservative, so don't be calling me a Koolaid drinker. Them's fightin' words.

I, personally, am dissapointed at both you and dillo. I know you're better than this, but both of you are doing what I tend to attack several board liberals for, and that's attempting to say that we have the burden of proof and then dismissing any sources we give as horribly biased without even looking at the facts they present. Even the New York Times has some good articles in them.

dilloduck said:
Here we go again with streams of lies, repeated over and over again. This debate is being framed with innacurate and ignorant comments. This disinformation will be turned into liberal mantras that even REPUBLICANS chant. It has been made CRYSTAL clear that security ( remember--the important issue here? ) will NOT CHANGE ONE IOTA. Americans are in charge of it and will continue to be in charge of it yet over and over I hear the administration being accused of putting our SECURITY in the hands of another country. Ever wonder why people, supposedly even smart people, repeat this over and over when they KNOW FULL WELL it's a lie? C,mon people--at least nip this one in the bud so we dont have to listen to it along with all the other Liberal lies.

Would you fly on an Iranian airline just because the NSA was running the metal detectors?

Hobbit said:
Would you fly on an Iranian airline just because the NSA was running the metal detectors?

This comparison is ludicrous and exactly what the left would like for you to believe is happening.Get the hook out of your mouth and chill. Ever ask yourself why this is ALL OF THE SUDDEN an issue??? Chicken little Republicans can only make this worse than the PR already is. Stop spreading liberal propaganda!

Hobbit said:
Ask yourself if you are really all that comfortable suddenly calling me a koolaid drinker just because I don't want our ports given over to a Muslim government when most of the world's Muslims want us dead.

okay, crazy pills. At least you are sane enough to admit that not all muslims are terrorists.

UAE, just like Saudi Arabia, is cordial to us publicly, but I don't trust them enough to control our six biggest ports.

You buy their gas. It doesn't fly here.

Hell, I wouldn't trust the British government to run our ports because I don't think it they should be controlled by any foreign government

And they aren't. We still control all security measures.

but handing them over to a Muslim government is just stupid.

Besides the fact that we aren't handing over control, it's a capitalist company run by what appears to be many non Arabs and non Muslims. The managers of the company are there because they are experienced ctainer loading/unloading professionals not government minions.

BTW, did you actually read what I posted or do you assume that I'm just like anybody else who disagrees with you?

pot calling the salt black?

And for how this will make our ports more vulnerable, I'm still trying to figure out what I could say that would satisfy you in that fashion.

,because you have nothing but the following crazy ethnophobic hunches to back your hysteria up:

Most Muslims want us dead. UAE is mostly Muslim. Rumor has it that some crazy Muslims have a nuke. The easiest way to get one of those into the country is by ship.
Why would you spend $6.8 bil on a port you plan to blow up?

The ships are checked by the people who own the ports they're going to. If a Muslims country owns the ports, then this Muslim country will be inspecting the ships.

Wrong. the coast gaurd and whatever other local police run security checks.

If it turns out that the crazy ones really do have a nuke, all they have to do is find one Muslim supervisor that's sympathetic to their cause to get a nuke into a harbor.
With this deal, most of the people in charge are not even muslim, not even arab. If there is a crazy out there with a nuke, all he has to do is shove it in one ctainer out of a thousand on a ship headed for the port of philadelphia and blow it up. Or even sink a warhead down in the belly of an oil tanker. Why waste $6.8 billion?

With a government running the thing, it'll be far less likely that they'll be more careful about things like background screening, since government agencies don't typically look to be profitable, like corporations do. That is, of course, assuming that that government isn't looking to stab us in the back, which is very likely, and then it's even more dangerous.

Makes no sense. DPR exists to make a profit for the UAE, unlike the public library system. They will inevitably hire good workers that bring them the bacon. Not really seeing how this is dangerous, unless you're Hillary and the dockworker's Union is breathing down your neck.

Hobbit said:
Ask yourself if you are really all that comfortable suddenly calling me a koolaid drinker just because I don't want our ports given over to a Muslim government when most of the world's Muslims want us dead. UAE, just like Saudi Arabia, is cordial to us publicly, but I don't trust them enough to control our six biggest ports. Hell, I wouldn't trust the British government to run our ports because I don't think it they should be controlled by any foreign government, but handing them over to a Muslim government is just stupid. BTW, did you actually read what I posted or do you assume that I'm just like anybody else who disagrees with you?

And for how this will make our ports more vulnerable, I'm still trying to figure out what I could say that would satisfy you in that fashion. Most Muslims want us dead. UAE is mostly Muslim. Rumor has it that some crazy Muslims have a nuke. The easiest way to get one of those into the country is by ship. The ships are checked by the people who own the ports they're going to. If a Muslims country owns the ports, then this Muslim country will be inspecting the ships. If it turns out that the crazy ones really do have a nuke, all they have to do is find one Muslim supervisor that's sympathetic to their cause to get a nuke into a harbor. With a government running the thing, it'll be far less likely that they'll be more careful about things like background screening, since government agencies don't typically look to be profitable, like corporations do. That is, of course, assuming that that government isn't looking to stab us in the back, which is very likely, and then it's even more dangerous.

If the company stays in the hands of a private firm, you can be damn sure that they'll be as damn sure as they can be that they aren't hiring any Al Qaida members to inspect crates for suspicious or dangerous cargo. I really don't know how I can make it any clearer than that.

BTW, I'm a red meat-eating, gun-toting, small government, low taxes, grunting, rough and tumble, red-blooded American conservative, so don't be calling me a Koolaid drinker. Them's fightin' words.

I, personally, am dissapointed at both you and dillo. I know you're better than this, but both of you are doing what I tend to attack several board liberals for, and that's attempting to say that we have the burden of proof and then dismissing any sources we give as horribly biased without even looking at the facts they present. Even the New York Times has some good articles in them.

One souce telling us that there are people that want to kill us??? :duh3: :duh3: :duh3:
When that kool aid wears off find a source that pertains to the UAE government or this company. Then tell me why our military trusts on the UAE enough to place our military there. Then tell me your exact link between UAE and 9/11.

C'mon, HOBBIT.....did you read the Ijaz article presented?

Sure the PR issues the POTUS has to overcome are the biggest hurdle facing this issue....not security issues...would you rather the DMV or the IRS or the USPS handle the ports....coupled with the union slowdowns, we would not get any goods in or out of our borders....maybe we should just stick our heads in the sand and become a true isolationist country, that would show 'em, right?

How about some up to the minute news, that you may not be aware of: United Arab Emirates-owned company Dubai Ports World secretly agreed to undergo special investigations as a condition of taking over operations of six U.S. ports, The Associated Press reported Feb. 22.

How about a little more food for thought....what is the message to the Muslim world....all of you are not to be trusted, and we should exterminate you?

From Stratfor.com:
The issue comes down to this. The UAE is an Arab and Muslim country. The government of the UAE is about as pro-American as you can get in that part of the world. Certainly, there are UAE citizens who are jihadists -- one of the Sept. 11 hijackers, Marwan al-Shehi, was from the UAE. At the same time, the government has a security agreement with the United States, and extensive commercial relations tie the two together. The UAE tries to be a kind of Switzerland in the Middle East, focusing on business and trying to be the commercial gateway to the region.

If the United States can't do business with the UAE, then the United States cannot do business anywhere in the Islamic world. The problem Washington faces is this: On the one hand, the administration has been criticized for having a simplistic, monochromatic view of Islam, and of making war against Islam in general. But on the other hand, when the administration draws distinctions between governments within the Muslim world, it gets hammered over threats to U.S. security. Somebody has got to straighten this out.

Wasn't Richard Reid travelling on a British passport? Why, I'd be willing to bet there hundreds of thousands of British jihadists out there, too...we should stop drinking Guineess, because Tony Blair supports terrorists in his country, and lets them try to explode thier shoes over the Atlantic (it would have been a great Monty Python skit, had it not been true)

Your guess that there are millions of extremists out there is equivalent to saying that the earth is flat in the 1400's....you may believe it, but just don't have any way of knowing for certain without the proper tools to determine the reality.

I am not insulting you, I am only pointing out that I see parnoid behavior based on not knowing all the facts of the matter....it will further the cause of the likes of Hillary and gawd forbid Obama (isn't that a Muslim sounding name?)

Would you be more afraid of a Danish company running ports than a British company (in light of the cartoon caper)?

dilloduck said:
One souce telling us that there are people that want to kill us??? :duh3: :duh3: :duh3:
When that kool aid wears off find a source that pertains to the UAE government or this company. Then tell me why our military trusts on the UAE enough to place our military there. Then tell me your exact link between UAE and 9/11.

I put this out once already, but here's the link:

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/006359.php

dilloduck said:

Unfortunately there are direct ties to the UAE and the hijackers, just as there are direct ties to the US sending large chunks of cash to the Taliban....

Just because a child does something terrible and horrendous, it does not make the parent guilty of anything....although it will cause guilt and many sleepless nights wondering what the parent could do differently....

Just because there are evil people in the US, it doesn't make all of us look bad, does it?

Not a great example, but David Koresh "used" the bible to sustain his flock, even though he hijacked the religion for his own purposes....does that make all Christians bad...no...it just means that there are some lunatics out there that will hijack whatever religion they need to bathe in the glory of their martyrdom.

(BTW...hasn't heaven run out of virgins, yet....)

Fmr jarhead said:
Unfortunately there are direct ties to the UAE and the hijackers, just as there are direct ties to the US sending large chunks of cash to the Taliban....

Just because a child does something terrible and horrendous, it does not make the parent guilty of anything....although it will cause guilt and many sleepless nights wondering what the parent could do differently....

Just because there are evil people in the US, it doesn't make all of us look bad, does it?

Not a great example, but David Koresh "used" the bible to sustain his flock, even though he hijacked the religion for his own purposes....does that make all Christians bad...no...it just means that there are some lunatics out there that will hijack whatever religion they need to bathe in the glory of their martyrdom.

(BTW...hasn't heaven run out of virgins, yet....)
Can you connect them the the government or DPW ?

dilloduck said:
Can you connect them the the government or DPW ?

"clicking my heels"

It just has to be true, it just has to be true, it just has to be true.....

Yeah...connect to the government....they had driver's licenses...yeah that's it...and they had an account at the free checking place up the street...close enough right?

dilloduck said:
that's NOT a link to 9/11 and apparently thats of big impotance since the libs use that say we shouldnt be in Iraq.
Ok Dillo, thought you were looking for 'problem' connected to the government/shipping, ya know, something tied to the problem. I'm done with this for now.

Kathianne said:
Ok Dillo, thought you were looking for 'problem' connected to the government/shipping, ya know, something tied to the problem. I'm done with this for now.

Thats cool-----the only two reasons I'm hearing that this deal shouldn't go through that some close to having any merit are that the UAE is a Muslim State and two of the 9/11 hijackers were there. Hopefully everyone is aware that the US is currently spending billions of lives and American lives to stabilize a MUSLIM country.

dilloduck said:
Thats cool-----the only two reasons I'm hearing that this deal shouldn't go through that some close to having any merit are that the UAE is a Muslim State and two of the 9/11 hijackers were there. Hopefully everyone is aware that the US is currently spending billions of lives and American lives to stabilize a MUSLIM country.

Yes, I realize that we have many Muslim friends. I just don't think the majority of them are in the UAE. My real problem is not that it's a primarily Muslim owned company so much as that it's a Muslim government controlled company. The UAE government owns the company. If it was a completely private company based in the UAE, I'd be wary, but not enough to kick up this much dust.

rtwngAvngr said:
You know what? I'm over it now. They won't own the ports, they won't do security, they'll be doing paperwork in leased builidng. Is it my favorite thing? no.

You know, I've about reached that same decision. The media and the blogosphere misled a lot of people on this; so now recieving all the facts (or at least what we know), it seems this is not such a big deal.

So I take back what I said. And David Brooks just kicks me in the face with it and much more, making me feel even more stupid about jumping wholeheartedly into this mess.

Hobbit said:
Yes, I realize that we have many Muslim friends. I just don't think the majority of them are in the UAE. My real problem is not that it's a primarily Muslim owned company so much as that it's a Muslim government controlled company. The UAE government owns the company. If it was a completely private company based in the UAE, I'd be wary, but not enough to kick up this much dust.

Why would you trust a private company more than a government owned company?

Forum List

Back