We should treat guns like we treat cars! Yeah!

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
Several times over the last several weeks, several people have presented an argument to the effect that ‘we require licenses and registration for cars, so we should do the same for guns’.

To this, I habitually respond:
-You don’t need a license to buy or own a car, or to operate it on private property
-You don’t need to register a car to own it or operate it on private property
-You don’t need a license to transport a car, nor register a car that you transport
-The only time you need a license is to operate a car on public property
-the only time you need to register a car is to operate it on public property

SO... if we have the same requirements for guns as we do for cars, as these posters gleefully suggest, the only time you need a license or register a gun is if you use it on public property.

This never receives a response.

:dunno:

Since anywhere between the gun shop and your home is public property you seem to have undermined your own argument.

Since anywhere between the gun shop and your home is public property you seem to have undermined your own argument.

The argument is that as long as the gun isn't used between the gun shop and the home or on some other private property, then it isn't an issue.

Several times over the last several weeks, several people have presented an argument to the effect that ‘we require licenses and registration for cars, so we should do the same for guns’.

-You don’t need a license to buy or own a car, or to operate it on private property
-You don’t need a license to transport a car, nor register a car that you transport

SO... if we have the same requirements for guns as we do for cars, as these posters gleefully suggest, the only time you need a license or register a gun is if you use it on public property.

OK, then permits WOULD be required for "concealed carry" AND bringing it home from the store. Also, you can't leave an unregistered vehicle in your driveway in my state, so what you listed may not be true everywhere.

1: Not necessarily, for several reasons
2: The licensing/regustration applies to only use/operation, not ownership/posession/transportation, on public property.

So, I have undermined nothing.

OK, then permits WOULD be required for "concealed carry"
Possibly, but that's the case in most places now.

AND bringing it home from the store.
Nope. Ownership/posession.trasnportation does not require a license, only use/operation.

Also, you can't leave an unregistered vehicle in your driveway in my state, so what you listed may not be true everywhere.
But, I'll bet you CAN keep it in your garage or barn or basement.

Last edited:
2: The licensing/regustration applies to only use/operation, not ownership/posession/transportation, on public property.

Once again, your mileage may vary. You're quoting local laws that may not apply everywhere. If I carry a gun home from a shop and I'm stopped for some other reason and asked if I have a gun in the car, I better also have a license.

Once again, your mileage may vary. You're quoting local laws that may not apply everywhere. If I carry a gun home from a shop and I'm stopped for some other reason and asked if I have a gun in the car, I better also have a license.
Now, where you are, yes.
But it we treated guns like cars, you'd only need the license if you use/operate the gun while on public property; you do not need a license to OWN the car.

I agree..

And you should be forced to buy liability insurance on your gun in case it hurts someone

You should also be required to have an operators license for a gun

Your gun license should be suspended if you are caught drunk

I agree..
I doubt it.
And you should be forced to buy liability insurance on your gun in case it hurts someone
If you want to use/operate it on public property
You should also be required to have an operators license for a gun
If you want to use/operate it on public property
Your gun license should be suspended if you are caught drunk
Only if you are caught operating/usung the gun on public property while drunk.

Does this mean we could take away guns from people who use them while drunk or in other irresponsible manners?

Gov't shouldn't register (tax) vehicles.
Gov't shouldn't register (tax) guns.

Have license plates and drivers licenses made autos safer? No, it just gives gov't more power over people.

Last edited:

Bullshit
If you take a car from the dealership to your house, you are on public property.
If you take a gun from the dealer to your house, you are on public property.
You use a gun any time you carry one.

This is a stupid weak argument. The whole analogy is dumb. A car isnt a gun. Their use is very different. Their place in society is very different.

Now you're moving the goalposts. That's totally screwy, IMO. You can't run an advanced civilization like that. :cuckoo:

Does this mean we could take away guns from people who use them while drunk or in other irresponsible manners?

Boy I hope so.

Just about every rabid gun owner I've ever talked to, seems to have delusions of stopping some imaginary crime with their gun and them being a hero.

Perhaps since we are comparing guns to cars, we should discuss mental competency tests to insure potentially unstable gun buyers aren't able to obtain access to a gun.
I'd like to see some minimum mental standards for firearms possession implemented.

Now you're moving the goalposts. That's totally screwy, IMO. You can't run an advanced civilization like that. :cuckoo:
No, I'm not moving the goal posts. I'm for limited gov't power. No one is any safer just because the gov't charges you a fee to do something.

Boy I hope so.

Just about every rabid gun owner I've ever talked to, seems to have delusions of stopping some imaginary crime with their gun and them being a hero.

Perhaps since we are comparing guns to cars, we should discuss mental competency tests to insure potentially unstable gun buyers aren't able to obtain access to a gun.
I'd like to see some minimum mental standards for firearms possession implemented.
Tests conducted by gov't no doubt? Yeah, let's give gov't more power over us and we'll just sit back and hope they don't take advantage.

Forum List

Back