We should obey the law because?

We should obey the law

• Total voters
I obey the law (some of the time) because and only because I don't want to go to prison. When I choose to disobey the law (which I do fairly frequently), I accept the possibility of negative consequences.

Because it is the Law. In the US, you can protest and take steps toward repealing a Law if you disagree with it passionately. If you lose, you lose. Society needs to have some sort of cooperative system in place in order to maintain some minimum quality of life standards.

Not that the Law stops me from doing much ; )

Hell, JB. It depends on the law. Some of them are good laws and things I would do anyway. Some of them I simply obey because it is the law and I'm not willing to accept the consequences of any other choice whether I agree with it or not. Occasionally I'm a rebel.

• Banned
Hell, JB. It depends on the law. Some of them are good laws and things I would do anyway. Some of them I simply obey because it is the law and I'm not willing to accept the consequences of any other choice whether I agree with it or not. Occasionally I'm a rebel.

So we should obey it because it is good law, though pragmatically we obey some laws because it's not wrong enough to warrant rebellion?

I concur.

I would only obey the laws that made good sense, but I'm afraid of going to jail, too, so unless my disobedience would only result in a misdemeanor, I'm obeying them.

Last edited:

So we should obey it because it is good law, though pragmatically we obey some laws because it's not wrong enough to warrant rebellion?

I concur.

I agree to some extent.

For the Rule of Law to be valid, laws should be enacted with the Consent of the Governed and which are consistent with the limits on government power embodied in The Constitution.

If legislators game the system to force laws against the will of the people and in violation of The Constitution, I view it as my patriotic duty to resist complying with said laws.

I'll readily admit that the unfettered power of the state in certain areas makes such resistance very difficult to do. The 16th Amendment comes readily to mind. Instead of non-payment of tax, Going Galt achieves the same purpose while not putting oneself into the hands of the state.

I obey the law because I have through my actions and inactions consented to that law being enacted. If at some point, i cease to consent or my consent or lack of consent is ignored, then the reasons may change or I may willfully disobey, taking the consequences that come with it as a matter of non-violent protest. So that my suffering might enlighten others.

I concur.

I agree to some extent.

I mostly agree. I would say that when I disobey it's either because it's wrong enough to warrant rebellion (rare but happens) or the consequences are so slight that rebellion is more practical in that situation (every time I get on the highway). ;)

For the Rule of Law to be valid, laws should be enacted with the Consent of the Governed and which are consistent with the limits on government power embodied in The Constitution.

And if the governed wish for something that's not in the Constitution- like an Air Force, social security, the presumption of innocence, or Judicial Review (the Constitution never explained how the court was to check the legislature), or medicare?

What if the governed don't want the Constitution at all? What if they want to do as the FF did with the Articles of Confederation and replace it with something better?

You can't appeal to the Constitution and also to the consent of the governed. It's one or the other- either it is the will of the people that matters, as Jefferson said, or it is the Constitution- the Law as laid down by men long dead and elevated to the status of a holy text.

Forum List

Back