We Should Listen to the 99%

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
Interesting article by investor Jeff Green in the Wall Street Journal. He points out that many of the protesters are either unfocused or don't offer any solutions, but suggests those with the power and smarts to do so, should listen to the anxieties of "the 99%" and find solutions. :

Jeff Greene: We Should Listen to the 99% - WSJ.com
As someone who was born into the 99% and joined the 1% later in life, I understand the anxieties of the protesters. The ones I met had tried to do the right things to prepare themselves for life. Raised in middle-class families with good values, they took on substantial debts to pay for college—and now they can't find jobs, housing or health insurance. Indeed, 85% of recent college graduates live with their parents because they cannot afford life on their own.

While individual protesters may not have the data at their fingertips, many of us in the 1% do, and much of it supports their case. According to data compiled by the Milken Institute, Americans devote a huge portion of our household income to housing (32.7%) and transportation (18%), while we spend just 2% on education. These figures are reversed in much of Asia where families devote 15% of their income to education and spend just 10% on housing and 6% on transportation.

How did things get skewed this way?

.....In today's global economy, our future depends not on subdivisions and cheap gas but on education and training people for the skilled trades that still command good wages. For individuals and families, the "new normal" requires answering tough questions. Do you have children? Are you paying a big mortgage on a McMansion or saving for their education?

For our politicians the questions revolve around similar values. Do your policies reward and encourage investment in education for the long term or consumption in the moment? Are you more concerned about America's long-term competitiveness or your own re-election?

As they ask us to recognize their fears and resentments, the Occupy Wall Street protesters are giving us a chance to address our problems before they grow worse. We should be grateful for their tie-dyed, peaceful methods and their commitment to remaining in place until they receive a constructive response.

The fact Mr. Greene was "born into the 99% and joined the 1% later in life" makes his entire point moot.

When they can speak in coherent sentences, and articulate specific concerns rather than babbling like babies about some mythical and meaningless figure of 99%, I'll listen.

Ridiculing and ignoring problems is what got us in this financial mess in the first place. Time to face the facts, gents.

Interesting article by investor Jeff Green in the Wall Street Journal. He points out that many of the protesters are either unfocused or don't offer any solutions, but suggests those with the power and smarts to do so, should listen to the anxieties of "the 99%" and find solutions. :

Jeff Greene: We Should Listen to the 99% - WSJ.com
As someone who was born into the 99% and joined the 1% later in life, I understand the anxieties of the protesters. The ones I met had tried to do the right things to prepare themselves for life. Raised in middle-class families with good values, they took on substantial debts to pay for college—and now they can't find jobs, housing or health insurance. Indeed, 85% of recent college graduates live with their parents because they cannot afford life on their own.

While individual protesters may not have the data at their fingertips, many of us in the 1% do, and much of it supports their case. According to data compiled by the Milken Institute, Americans devote a huge portion of our household income to housing (32.7%) and transportation (18%), while we spend just 2% on education. These figures are reversed in much of Asia where families devote 15% of their income to education and spend just 10% on housing and 6% on transportation.

How did things get skewed this way?

.....In today's global economy, our future depends not on subdivisions and cheap gas but on education and training people for the skilled trades that still command good wages. For individuals and families, the "new normal" requires answering tough questions. Do you have children? Are you paying a big mortgage on a McMansion or saving for their education?

For our politicians the questions revolve around similar values. Do your policies reward and encourage investment in education for the long term or consumption in the moment? Are you more concerned about America's long-term competitiveness or your own re-election?

As they ask us to recognize their fears and resentments, the Occupy Wall Street protesters are giving us a chance to address our problems before they grow worse. We should be grateful for their tie-dyed, peaceful methods and their commitment to remaining in place until they receive a constructive response.

Are you arrogant fucks now claiming that OWS speaks for all of the 99%?

lol

Considering the "99%" is not really more then possibility the 5%..... no.

Ridiculing and ignoring problems is what got us in this financial mess in the first place. Time to face the facts, gents.

We faced facts years ago when we realized that the ever expanding government can not be sustained. We faced facts years ago when we realized that running up a trillion dollars deficit every year when we can easily live within our means is suicidal. We faced facts years ago when we realized that our Founders weren't complete morons and completely understood why the Constitution has certain provisions and why it doesnt have others.

We also realized that when we take out debt, we are obligated to repay it. Its not repaying debt that caused the problems and that's what the so called 99ers dont want to do.

Violence, rape, vandalism, drug use, idleness, are all bad.

So what facts exactly have we not faced that the OWS somehow will show us?

Does it matter who was addressing who? Seems like y'all got nuthin to say but that anyway.

We faced facts years ago when we realized that the ever expanding government can not be sustained. We faced facts years ago when we realized that running up a trillion dollars deficit every year when we can easily live within our means is suicidal. We faced facts years ago when we realized that our Founders weren't complete morons and completely understood why the Constitution has certain provisions and why it doesnt have others.

Facing facts involves not only accepting the facts but resolving them. Accepting that you are going broke just a start. Now you have to come up with a workable solution. So far we've failed at it and have been failing for a couple of decades. The chickens have come home to roost and we need to face that fact.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

incomedistribution.png

Top 1 Percent Control 42 Percent of Financial Wealth in the U.S. – How Average Americans are Lured into Debt Servitude by Promises of Mega Wealth.

Who are you talking to?
Seeing as the poster quoted YOU?

Safe BET he was addressing you...NO?

In my profession we do not to assume anything. That gets people killed.

However, if true, I fail to see how insults will resolve the issue.
And where was the insult? *I* was stating a fact. I can't help it if YOU can't handle it bub. That is YOUR problem Your shift of blame for YOUR embarrassment, sole is yours alone. Learn to read.

Get it ACE?

Seeing as the poster quoted YOU?

Safe BET he was addressing you...NO?

In my profession we do not to assume anything. That gets people killed.

However, if true, I fail to see how insults will resolve the issue.
And where was the insult? *I* was stating a fact. I can't help it if YOU can't handle it bub. That is YOUR problem Your shift of blame for YOUR embarrassment, sole is yours alone. Learn to read.

Get it ACE?
Are you deliberately being obtuse or is this just your attempt to intimidate those with whom you disagree, or think you disagree?

Forum List

Back