We Should Have Gone Into Syria and Perhaps SA

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/07/AR2005060702026.html

Outside Iraq but Deep in the Fight
A Smuggler of Insurgents Reveals Syria's Influential, Changing Role

By Ghaith Abdul-Ahad
Special to The Washington Post
Wednesday, June 8, 2005; Page A01

ALEPPO, Syria -- When the Americans led the invasion of Iraq, the men of Abu Ibrahim's family gathered in the courtyard of their shared home in the far north of Syria. Ten slips of paper were folded into a plastic bag, and they drew lots. The five who opened a paper marked with ink would go to Iraq and fight. The other five would stay behind.

Abu Ibrahim drew a blank. But remaining in Syria did not mean staying clear of the war. For more than two years, by his own detailed account, the slightly built, shabbily dressed 32-year-old father of four has worked diligently to shuttle other young Arab men into Iraq, stocking the insurgency that has killed hundreds of U.S. troops and thousands of Iraqis.

The stream of fighters -- most of them Syrians, but lately many of them Saudis, favored for the cash they bring -- has sustained and replenished the hardest core of the Iraq insurgency, and supplied many of its suicide bombers. Drawn from a number of Arab countries and nurtured by a militant interpretation of Islam, they insist they are fighting for their vision of their faith. This may put them beyond the reach of political efforts to make Iraq's Sunni Arabs stakeholders in the country's nascent government...

The real war has always been much larger than just Afghanistan and Iraq. American politicians are still afraid to call the war by its real name: the war against militant Islamic fundamentalists. This group consists not just of Arabs, but also Persians, Paks, and Southeast Asians. The war has just started; it has a very long way to go.

Hey, hind sight is 20/20.

We could say what we should have done all day (and perhaps longer due to the long list). The time to make things better is now, we have to move forward from this in the right direction and that includes IDing our enemies and not being afraid to beat them with a stick.

onedomino said:
The real war has always been much larger than just Afghanistan and Iraq. American politicians are still afraid to call the war by its real name: the war against militant Islamic fundamentalists. This group consists not just of Arabs, but also Persians, Paks, and Southeast Asians. The war has just started; it has a very long way to go.

Well it just isn't cool to mention religion and war. Those days are behind us, right?

JohnGalt said:
Hey, hind sight is 20/20.

We could say what we should have done all day (and perhaps longer due to the long list). The time to make things better is now, we have to move forward from this in the right direction and that includes IDing our enemies and not being afraid to beat them with a stick.

Starting with Syria, SA, France, Iran, NK...

onedomino said:

The real war is Jews and Israel v. Arabs and the Arab countries. The United States has been dragged into it on the Jewish side because Jews have convinced us that it's "our" war. It's no such thing. It's their war, and they want us to fight it.

William Joyce said:
The real war is Jews and Israel v. Arabs and the Arab countries. The United States has been dragged into it on the Jewish side because Jews have convinced us that it's "our" war. It's no such thing. It's their war, and they want us to fight it.
Joyce, if anti-Semitism was money, then you would have more than enough to build an island fortress of hatred where you could be the king of darkness and howl at the moon.

anti-semitism is what we're doing to Arabs. I see you still can't make an argument. You have to resort to personal attacks and accuse Joyce of hating Jews. Why don't you acknowledge that Jews are the biggest haters in the world. And don't tell me the Arabs don't want Israel to exist. Israel is a nuclear power and the Arabs have no military power at all.

Its amazing that you can speak so much bigotry and hatred against Arabs and then whine if someone says anything about jews. At least Jews are not dying because of what is being said about them.

yeula said:
anti-semitism is what we're doing to Arabs. I see you still can't make an argument. You have to resort to personal attacks and accuse Joyce of hating Jews. Why don't you acknowledge that Jews are the biggest haters in the world. And don't tell me the Arabs don't want Israel to exist. Israel is a nuclear power and the Arabs have no military power at all.

Its amazing that you can speak so much bigotry and hatred against Arabs and then whine if someone says anything about jews. At least Jews are not dying because of what is being said about them.

yeula!!! Welcome back! I was worried.

Sir Evil said:
You speaking to me Yefoola? you really have no idea what you speak of at all, that's the problem when you go trolling established forums. I thought you quit anyway, could'nt get enough?

Hey, if Will and Yeula are single.....
love70.gif

"Here comes the bride" :D

Forum List

Back