We need to fix welfare now or else

miami_thomas

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2011
Social programs are killing this country slowly but surely. Far too many people are becoming dependent on other people to provide for their needs. It is not other people’s responsibility to care for them. They need to learn to care for themselves. Welfare is needed to help but it needs a way to force people to want to get off welfare. Until that happens welfare will continue to grow and the governments will continue to go more broke. It is not just the US it is happening around the world. Even the Romans found out it was a problem. It is like having a child at home. If you make life easy for them and provide everything, they will never leave home. You have to balance supporting them and making it uneasy to help them out the door and become responsible for themselves.

Social programs are killing this country slowly but surely. Far too many people are becoming dependent on other people to provide for their needs. It is not other people’s responsibility to care for them. They need to learn to care for themselves. Welfare is needed to help but it needs a way to force people to want to get off welfare. Until that happens welfare will continue to grow and the governments will continue to go more broke. It is not just the US it is happening around the world. Even the Romans found out it was a problem. It is like having a child at home. If you make life easy for them and provide everything, they will never leave home. You have to balance supporting them and making it uneasy to help them out the door and become responsible for themselves.

Fix Welfare by creating employment for those who have none. Which will also fix our debt problem

I agree with you, it's time the corporations and the wealthy pulled their own weight and worked instead of relying on the government dole. It's time taxes went to building our nation and its infrastructure and not building the wealth of the few. Good post.

The Conservative Nanny State

“Here is the brutal truth, exposed systematically, methodically, unsparingly. Forget the pork rinds and the hokey Texas twang: Conservative government is government by and for the upper class.” Thomas Frank

“Dean Baker is one of the most insightful and original economists in Washington. With this book, he exposes the prevailing myth of modern conservatives. They are not for limited government, as they claim. Rather, they are for a government that helps their own. Baker says it is time to balance the books. Government is by all the people, for all the people. It's that simple.” Jeff Madrick

Ever see Mad Max ? That's exactly what you'll get if or when they're cut off.
Have a look at Venezuela and Brazil. Go ahead. Vote for that.

Venezuela, Brazil or Greece. Take your pick.

I agree with you, it's time the corporations and the wealthy pulled their own weight and worked instead of relying on the government dole. It's time taxes went to building our nation and its infrastructure and not building the wealth of the few. Good post.

Thanks for complimenting my post. I agree the rich should contribute more than the rest but at some point you have gone to far. Currently our corporate tax is the highest among developed nations. Currently the top 10% provide 70% of the tax revenue in this nation which is also tops among developed nations. Last when considering the tax rate don't forget the states. The corporate tax was 35% before the Bush tax cuts and are now something like 32%. If you corporation is in New York the corporate tax rate there is 15%. So combined the a corporation in New York would pay almost 50%. That is just crazy.

“Here is the brutal truth, exposed systematically, methodically, unsparingly. Forget the pork rinds and the hokey Texas twang: Conservative government is government by and for the upper class.” Thomas Frank

“Dean Baker is one of the most insightful and original economists in Washington. With this book, he exposes the prevailing myth of modern conservatives. They are not for limited government, as they claim. Rather, they are for a government that helps their own. Baker says it is time to balance the books. Government is by all the people, for all the people. It's that simple.” Jeff Madrick

...two things that are wrong with your Kool-Aid argument..

1) The top 5% wage earners pay 58% of ALL taxes.
2) The bottom 55% of wage earners - not only pay ZERO income tax - but get more back then they paid in.

Try drinking less Kool-Aid.

Thanks for complimenting my post. I agree the rich should contribute more than the rest but at some point you have gone to far. Currently our corporate tax is the highest among developed nations. Currently the top 10% provide 70% of the tax revenue in this nation which is also tops among developed nations. Last when considering the tax rate don't forget the states. The corporate tax was 35% before the Bush tax cuts and are now something like 32%. If you corporation is in New York the corporate tax rate there is 15%. So combined the a corporation in New York would pay almost 50%. That is just crazy.

That statement doesnt matter because Corps dont pay it anyway. So complaining about that is like complaining about the price of the shirt you just stole

Why ? If they're making billions what difference does it make ? The stockholders make 13% instead of 15%.

What do you think is going to happen when we finally get to the point we can no longer borrow money? What do you think will happen if the world currency changes from the dollar to another currency? I'm not saying to just cut them off. I'm saying we need to make it a little uncomfortable. Currently with wic you can only buy certain items. With food stamps you can buy anything and everything. It is just crazy. If you are on food stamps, you should only be buying what is necessary to survive. It does not need to provide you with what ever you want as long as it is not a hot food item. When I'm tight on money I have to spend wisely while someone on food stamps should be allowed to buy what ever they want? Why is it I'm in line and I'm buying bargain food and the person in front of me has food stamps and is buying luxury items?

So businesses should shut down and give their money and employees to the government to build roads and bridges?

What a plan. Have you sent it to Obama?

That statement doesnt matter because Corps dont pay it anyway. So complaining about that is like complaining about the price of the shirt you just stole

If they pay nothing, then how is it that the top 10% pay 70%? How is it almost half the country pays no taxes? Your logic is not really based on facts. It is just your personal beliefs. Some don't pay taxes but that is because they are allowed to through rich welfare. That needs to go away as well but others pay a huge amount of taxes. We need to lower the rate and do away with all the loop holes. Of course that would upset a lot of tax attorneys.

Fix Welfare by creating employment for those who have none. Which will also fix our debt problem

Argument for welfare: there's no jobs available for those on welfare.

Argument for illegal immigration: they do the jobs Americans don't want to do.

Hmm...

It is too late! We have elected politicians who have created this sinking ship. Even Honest Abe knew the results of an entitlement state.

President Lincoln who said, “You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

Douger has a point, get rid of welfare and you'll end up with people living in shanty town slums like in South Africa and Jamaica, and our crime rate now will look like a picnic compared to what it will be if we do this.

What do you think is going to happen when we finally get to the point we can no longer borrow money? What do you think will happen if the world currency changes from the dollar to another currency? I'm not saying to just cut them off. I'm saying we need to make it a little uncomfortable. Currently with wic you can only buy certain items. With food stamps you can buy anything and everything. It is just crazy. If you are on food stamps, you should only be buying what is necessary to survive. It does not need to provide you with what ever you want as long as it is not a hot food item. When I'm tight on money I have to spend wisely while someone on food stamps should be allowed to buy what ever they want? Why is it I'm in line and I'm buying bargain food and the person in front of me has food stamps and is buying luxury items?

What "luxury" items are people with food stamps buying?

So the Mad Max scenario would create a demand for law enforcement, creating jobs. The private sector could handle it. Money would be recycled within the economy much more efficiently than it is with welfare imo.

Douger has a point, get rid of welfare and you'll end up with people living in shanty town slums like in South Africa and Jamaica, and our crime rate now will look like a picnic compared to what it will be if we do this.
The problem is the vast majority of murkins have never been anywhere and the ones that have hauled ass to some resort ,say in Montego, Buenos Aires, Caracas, or Rio and come home to tell people they have been somewhere. If they saw what likely awaits them it would scare the shit out of them. Can most murkins afford a bullet proof vehicle ? Their masters can and that's all that matters.

Forum List

Back