we need to allow military members to carry firearms on bases & at recruiting centers

our current policies leave our military members and their families defenseless on their own bases. they can be sitting ducks for one crazy person with a machine gun.

Trump tells a story of 5 tough guys who didn't have a gun and a guy came in and killed them all. "he wouldn't have stood a chance if they had guns!"

Yeah, because US military personnel are exemplary....

The US military has lowered the requirements for mental health in new recruits

Army lifts ban on waivers for recruits with history of some mental health issues

"
Army lifts ban on waivers for recruits with history of some mental health issues"

Then you have the problem of soldiers being sent to war zones and coming back fucked up.

Study: Rates of many mental disorders much higher in soldiers - CNN

"Study: Rates of many mental disorders much higher in soldiers than in civilians"

"According to a Harvard Medical School professor, "The rate of major depression is five times as high among soldiers as civilians, intermittent explosive disorder six times as high, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) nearly 15 times as high.""

And you want these people walking around with guns?

It's about the same for Fire Fighters, Cops and Dentists. Think about that the next time you have a dentist digging around in your mouth admistering drugs and shoving sharp things in there.

Apparently the Bush administration or the Obama administration disarmed the Military Police (MP's) before the jihad major Hasan opened fire on his own Troops at Ft. Hood so they had to call 9-11 while the carnage was going on. Can't we even arm MP's on military bases?

Like the SPs, the MPs ARE armed. What makes you think they aren't. If they are duty, they are armed.
When I was an MP at Fort Ord on occasion we would walk with SP's. We didn't treasure those patrols because the SP's were not armed and they told us that they caught Shore Patrol like the army caught KP. The military police were trained and were MP's as their military occupation. The SP's usually let me make all the decisions and never questioned, Would I take a job today guarding a school--no way,

Apparently the Bush administration or the Obama administration disarmed the Military Police (MP's) before the jihad major Hasan opened fire on his own Troops at Ft. Hood so they had to call 9-11 while the carnage was going on. Can't we even arm MP's on military bases?

Like the SPs, the MPs ARE armed. What makes you think they aren't. If they are duty, they are armed.
When I was an MP at Fort Ord on occasion we would walk with SP's. We didn't treasure those patrols because the SP's were not armed and they told us that they caught Shore Patrol like the army caught KP. The military police were trained and were MP's as their military occupation. The SP's usually let me make all the decisions and never questioned, Would I take a job today guarding a school--no way,

The Navy has an equivalent of MPs now. They are MAs (Master at Arms).

I have NEVER seen a SP on duty that wasn't armed with at least a Ruger Police Special. Your story doesn't hold up. What would Air Force SPs be doing doing MP duty for an Army Base? And since the 38 Special is part of the Uniform when on Duty, why wouldn't they have it on them. You really need to start your story with "Once Upon a Time".

The Navy has an equivalent of MPs now. They are MAs (Master at Arms).

Hasn't the Navy always had Masters at Arms?

From Wiki:

The master-at-arms rating is not a modern innovation. Naval records show that these "sheriffs of the sea" were keeping order as early as the reign of Charles I of England. At that time they were charged with keeping the swords, pistols, carbines and muskets in good working order as well as ensuring that the bandoliers were filled with fresh powder before combat. Besides being chiefs of police at sea, the sea corporals, as they were called in the British Navy, they had to be qualified in close order fighting under arms and able to train seamen in hand-to-hand combat. In the days of sail, the master-at-arms were truly "masters at arms."

our current policies leave our military members and their families defenseless on their own bases. they can be sitting ducks for one crazy person with a machine gun.

This is the biggest problem on small bases, like reserve and recruiting centers. They are generally right among the public, and there is no security in place, nothing to keep people out.

And it is a two-fold problem. For over a year now there have been rules in place to allow selected members to carry weapons. But most simply choose not to do so because of other issues. For example, the local community.

At my Reserve unit (just East of Baghdad by the Bay), there are 2 units that share a building and an armory. And for the ones allowed to be armed, when they get in they then have to arrange to get into the armory to get their weapon and ammo. And since there is no kitchen, they then have to repeat the process if they leave the unit to say get lunch.

Because the State of California does not allow Open Carry, and since they are not Law Enforcement individuals with POST certification, they can not carry their duty weapon outside of the unit.

A major headache, and more of a hassle than it is worth. I know 4 who are authorized to be armed while at the unit, none of them have done so after the first few weeks.

And trust me, if some crazy person with a machine gun is trying to shoot up the unit, all they can do themselves is hide behind cover. Nobody is going to go against somebody with a machine gun with a 9mm pistol.

..they usually go the the EClubs/bars after duty and get drunk--as soon as they get off duty

Wow, can tell your service was a long time ago.

Today almost all clubs on base are gone. I think there are maybe 2 or 3 left on all of Camp Pendleton, where once there were 2 or 3 on each camp. Lejeune had at least 6 on mainside when I was there, I think there are only 2 left.

When I was at Fort Bliss, there was only the Officer's Club (which I think was more for the wiv

This is the biggest problem on small bases, like reserve and recruiting centers. They are generally right among the public, and there is no security in place, nothing to keep people out.

And it is a two-fold problem. For over a year now there have been rules in place to allow selected members to carry weapons. But most simply choose not to do so because of other issues. For example, the local community.

At my Reserve unit (just East of Baghdad by the Bay), there are 2 units that share a building and an armory. And for the ones allowed to be armed, when they get in they then have to arrange to get into the armory to get their weapon and ammo. And since there is no kitchen, they then have to repeat the process if they leave the unit to say get lunch.

Because the State of California does not allow Open Carry, and since they are not Law Enforcement individuals with POST certification, they can not carry their duty weapon outside of the unit.

A major headache, and more of a hassle than it is worth. I know 4 who are authorized to be armed while at the unit, none of them have done so after the first few weeks.

And trust me, if some crazy person with a machine gun is trying to shoot up the unit, all they can do themselves is hide behind cover. Nobody is going to go against somebody with a machine gun with a 9mm pistol.

..they usually go the the EClubs/bars after duty and get drunk--as soon as they get off duty

Today almost all clubs on base are gone. I think there are maybe 2 or 3 left on all of Camp Pendleton, where once there were 2 or 3 on each camp. Lejeune had at least 6 on mainside when I was there, I think there are only 2 left.

When I was at Fort Bliss, there was only the Officer's Club (which I think was more for the wiv
well, I'm sure they still get drunk like I did and the problem is the live together--unlike civilians who go to their own home

well, I'm sure they still get drunk like I did and the problem is the live together--unlike civilians who go to their own home

Getting drunk in the military is a quick way to get thrown out! The military takes a dim view of alcohol these days.

I have NEVER seen a SP on duty that wasn't armed with at least a Ruger Police Special. Your story doesn't hold up. What would Air Force SPs be doing MP duty for an Army Base? And since the 38 Special is part of the Uniform when on Duty, why wouldn't they have it on them. You really need to start your story with "Once Upon a Time".
It was once upon a time WWII. As an MP at Fort Ord we all carried 45's. There were small navel stations about us, and it was those small navel training stations that supplied Monterey with sailors but no armed SP's, One of our rules was that military must keep their blouses on. Sitting at the bar was large Chief. and the SP I was walking with didn't want to tell the Chief to put his blouse on so I did. The Chief was apologetic and simply put his blouse on. the end

I have NEVER seen a SP on duty that wasn't armed with at least a Ruger Police Special. Your story doesn't hold up. What would Air Force SPs be doing MP duty for an Army Base? And since the 38 Special is part of the Uniform when on Duty, why wouldn't they have it on them. You really need to start your story with "Once Upon a Time".
It was once upon a time WWII. As an MP at Fort Ord we all carried 45's. There were small navel stations about us, and it was those small navel training stations that supplied Monterey with sailors but no armed SP's, One of our rules was that military must keep their blouses on. Sitting at the bar was large Chief. and the SP I was walking with didn't want to tell the Chief to put his blouse on so I did. The Chief was apologetic and simply put his blouse on. the end

What do belly buttons have to do with anything?

Yours, nothing. My point was the SP's I walked with were not much help.

Yours, nothing. My point was the SP's I walked with were not much help.

The word is "naval"!

Forum List

Back