We need about 500,00 troops to stabilize Iraq - Who's up for a Draft?

I've never heard one single credible military expert claim we could get the army large enough, to put half a million soldiers in Iraq by offering higher signing bonuses and bigger salaries. It would take a draft to do that.

If you really thought your war was worth it, you would support a draft, because our experience in Bosnia and in Kosovo (when we had a competent president) showed that we need a ratio of about 23 soldiers for every 1000 iraqis.

But, I suspect your support for this war is skin deep. You don't really think we're in a clash of civilizations, or in the fight of our generation. It appears you think that this war, slogans, talking points, and mission accomplished carrier landings, are all political props to promote the republican party.

I notice you side stepped the point. Once again, WHEN A DEMOCRAT provides the plans and funding for this "draft" get back to me.

here is a newsflash for ya:

the men of WWII WERE draftees! THEY didn't have a choice.

Not all... My grandfather was one that wasn't. He volunteered. 25% where volunteers. Most didn't sign up knowing full well once Pearl Harber happened we'd be going to war and the draft cards would be on their way. Maybe we should of done that after 9-11. Oh wait, you all would of bitched even then.

For such an unpopular war why did Vietnam still have 75% volunteer rates?

here is a newsflash for ya:

the men of WWII WERE draftees! THEY didn't have a choice.

really......no one volunteered they were all forced to go.....but wasn't FDR a democrat?

and why did we invade germany when fdr had japan attack us.....were we after the bmws and porsches? or was it the beer?

really......no one volunteered they were all forced to go.....but wasn't FDR a democrat?

and why did we invade germany when fdr had japan attack us.....were we after the bmws and porsches? or was it the beer?

did I say that NO ONE volunteered?

And if you were a little bit more of a student of history, you would know that Germany formally declared war on us on December 11th, 1941.

You might want to enroll in a remedial high school american history class.

Germany declared war on us FIRST, and they had sent a fleet of U-boats to blockade our eastern seaboard, and were sinking american ships. BEFORE we declared war on them.

that fdr was a tricky one getting japan to attack us so we could invade germany to get the beer.....maybe i should vote democrat

translation: you're an idiot, without even a tenth grade understanding of american history.

Germany declared war on us first, and had a fleet of u-boats blockading our eastern seaboard, and attacking and sinking our ships-- Before FDR retaliated by declaring war on them.

did I say that NO ONE volunteered?

And if you were a little bit more of a student of history, you would know that Germany formally declared war on us on December 11th, 1941.

you are pretty serious huh.....

OBL declared war on the US "the man that smells cigars" didn't invade.....

i tell ya fdr was after the beer.....he tricked germany into declaring war by tricking the japanese into bombing pearl harbour because he knew they wanted to eventually build high rise condos in hawaii....

I notice you side stepped the point. Once again, WHEN A DEMOCRAT provides the plans and funding for this "draft" get back to me.

translation: you don't really believe we are in the struggle of our generation. Its just a republican talking point to you.

The only way to stabilize iraq is to flood it with half a million soldiers. And spend another trillion dollars. Which would require a draft.

But, for all your talk about winning a war in iraq, you still won't do what it takes to win. Because you're putting your Party ahead of your Country.

i tell ya fdr was after the beer.....he tricked germany into declaring war by tricking the japanese into bombing pearl harbour because he knew they wanted to eventually build high rise condos in hawaii....

and you knew just the architect who would design them - but for himself, oddly enough!

translation: you're an idiot, without even a tenth grade understanding of american history.

Germany declared war on us first, and had a fleet of u-boats blockading our eastern seaboard, and attacking and sinking our ships-- Before FDR retaliated by declaring war on them.

really is that waht really happened?! oh my god thank you....for 47 years i thought fdr invaded germany to get the beer.....

you have saved my life......thank you oh wise liberal....now where is my hillary bumper sticker

Humor really isn't your thing. This isn't remotely clever or funny.

You really should just admit that you slept through highschool history class, and admit that until 5 minutes ago you had no clue that Germany declared war on us first, and had begun attacking us with a massive U-boat fleet along our eastern seaboard.

Humor really isn't your thing. This isn't remotely clever or funny.

You really should just admit that you slept through highschool history class, and admit that until 5 minutes ago you had no clue that Germany declared war on us first, and had begun attacking us with a massive U-boat fleet along our eastern seaboard.

really i am not funny? oh thank you so much for pointing that out....i will have to tell all the pole here that have repped me and told me i was funny....they will be so disapointed.....

really, there were german u-bouts on the easter seabord sinking our ships that were trying to supply england who was under attack by the eveil nazi dictatorship....

you know if we just left the fight between england and germany the world would have loved us .....germany wasn't a threat.....they were attacking england....it is not like the nazis were bombing new york....plus they were killing the joooooz....

you do know england attacked once a long time ago? i did wake up once in class....

You might want to enroll in a remedial high school american history class.

Germany declared war on us FIRST, and they had sent a fleet of U-boats to blockade our eastern seaboard, and were sinking american ships. BEFORE we declared war on them.

Yes there was a HUGE Fleet of U-Boats. I don't think more than 5 to 7 ever operated at anyone time of the American coast. I could be wrong, my interest in WW2 doesn't go to the U-Boat war much. As I recall Germany Declared war on us on December 12 1941, which negated any need for us to declare war on them. And solved a major problem for FDR, how to convince America to go to war against Germany.

Now the biggest problem we had with the U-Boats was two fold. 1 we were poorly trained and equiped to fight submarines. The British would help with that having had over 2 years experience ( and we had like 6 months experience helping in the Icelandic area) and 2 our cities wouldn't turn off their lights at night. Germany U-Boats simply popped up, lined up on the large ship outline between them and the city lights ashore and fired away. I will look, but I believe it was quite some time before we managed to even think we sunk a U-Boat in American waters.

As to the claim the Germans were attacking us before the declaration of war, that is simply untrue. FDR secretly made a deal with Churchill to provide protection to shipping on our side of a line drawn in the ocean headed for Britain. WE were actively hunting German Subs and protecting British shipping at least 6 months before Germany declared war. FDR would have LOVED an attack by Germany before Hitler declared war. He knew we needed to be in the war but didn't have the political capital to sway the nation. He skirted the issue with questionable legal and semi legal activities that in effect put our Navy at war with a Country we had not declared war on and the American people did not want to go to war with.

I suppose if you ignorantly look at a draft as merely replacing the numbers of bodies coming hom in boxes, your question would have some merit.

In fact, many experts have suggested that our military is strained to the breaking point by the rapid turnarounds, multiple tours, no downtime, lower quality recruits... and that a draft may indeed be necessary to maintain this optempo.

You probably should add the downsizing of the military since 1991 to the list.

Forum List

Back