We Need a Whole New Way of Thinking About Government

Which statements more are closest to your point of view? Check all that apply:

• The USA requires a bigger more authoritarian government.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Government should take care of the poor.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • The rich should be required to support the poor.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • The government should provide the general welfare.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Federal and State Government invite corruption when it dispenses charity.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Government should not do anything the private sector does better.

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Government is too big, too intrusive, too expensive.

Votes: 38 61.3%
  • The Federal Government should secure our rights and then leave us alone.

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • None of the above. I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
I would say both, Foxfyre, since they both are playing shell games in reference to their budget woes. They're both going to make massive cuts. And then Ca has a state income but yet Tx does not. I see Texas slashing into the 30B dollar budget of education. How's California going to solve their debt? I think both states can solve the issue without raising taxes. California can't even afford to raise taxes. It's one helluva conundrum.

But in the interest of thinking differently about government, higher taxes to pay for government is the status quo. Texas seems to be taking a different tactic and it seems to be working. Businesses are fighting for places to locate in Texas. Too many job producing businesses have already bailed out of California and others are looking to follow suit.

So can you see no solution to the problems in government other than raising taxes?

I would say both, Foxfyre, since they both are playing shell games in reference to their budget woes. They're both going to make massive cuts. And then Ca has a state income but yet Tx does not. I see Texas slashing into the 30B dollar budget of education. How's California going to solve their debt? I think both states can solve the issue without raising taxes. California can't even afford to raise taxes. It's one helluva conundrum.

But in the interest of thinking differently about government, higher taxes to pay for government is the status quo. Texas seems to be taking a different tactic and it seems to be working. Businesses are fighting for places to locate in Texas. Too many job producing businesses have already bailed out of California and others are looking to follow suit.

So can you see no solution to the problems in government other than raising taxes?

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Foxfyre. I'm against raising taxes at any level. I'm some type of paleo-conservative-libertarian hybrid. I agree that TX will solve their solution. Their budget is biennial. They'll fix it without raising taxes or whoever proposes such nonsense will get ousted.

Lobbyists should be shot on sight.

No they shouldn't. I've been an unpaid lobbyist many times petitioning government for this or that cause, program, or entity. Without ability to sell your project to those issuing the funding, most would be left out of the process altogether.

A lobbyist is merely an agent making a formal petition to government and such petition is protected by the Constitution.

And some lobbyists do a LOT of valuable work gathering information and data so that the government doesn't have to spend their own resources to get that information. The problem is in lobbyist being able to solicit favors for their particular project or program by providing favors. Take away the ability for them to benefit by 'wining or dining' or whatever our elected leaders, and the problems associated with that go away.

Think differently about government and what we want it to be.

In the interest of thinking differently about government, the following appeared in one or more north Texas newspapers and has been circulating in emails lately.

It outlines a concept that prompted several to comment and urge me to start this thread.

I would be interested in everybody's opinion of it, but most particularly I would like to hear from the Left why any one of the suggestions would be a good or bad idea:

PUT ME IN CHARGE!!!

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese and all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want steak and frozen pizza, then get a job.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I'd do is to get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations. Then, we'll test recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine and document all tattoos and piercings. If you want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, smoke or get tats and piercings, then get a job.

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a military barracks? You will maintain our property in a clean and good state of repair. Your "home" will be subject to inspections anytime and possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or Xbox 360, then get a job and your own place.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or you will report to a "government" job. It may be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you. We will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo and speakers and put that money toward the "common good."

Before you write that I've violated someone's rights, realize that all of the above is voluntary. If you want our money, accept our rules.. Before you say that this would be "demeaning" and ruin their "self esteem," consider that it wasn't that long ago that taking someone else's money for doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self esteem.

If we are expected to pay for other people's mistakes we should at least attempt to make them learn from their bad choices. The current system rewards them for continuing to make bad choices.

Alfred W. Evans, Gatesville

And recently somebody added one more:

While you are on Gov’t subsistence, you no longer can VOTE! Yes that is correct. For you to vote would be a conflict of interest. You will voluntarily remove yourself from voting while you are receiving a Gov’t welfare check. If you want to vote, then get a job or find other legal means of supporting yourself.

Silly stuff Texan cons buy into. They really should drig test everybody in that state starting with that imbecile Bush.

But y'all are a beacon out there in Ca with taxes oozing out of every orifice huh, shintao? Lol!!!!! Ol Moonbeam is gonna squeeze that last vestige of blood out y'all pretty soon. Enjoy that ever tightening yolk around the neck out there. Happy taxation! Y'all deserve it.

Last edited:

No they shouldn't. I've been an unpaid lobbyist many times petitioning government for this or that cause, program, or entity. Without ability to sell your project to those issuing the funding, most would be left out of the process altogether.

A lobbyist is merely an agent making a formal petition to government and such petition is protected by the Constitution.

And some lobbyists do a LOT of valuable work gathering information and data so that the government doesn't have to spend their own resources to get that information. The problem is in lobbyist being able to solicit favors for their particular project or program by providing favors. Take away the ability for them to benefit by 'wining or dining' or whatever our elected leaders, and the problems associated with that go away.

Lobbying, with "check book in hand," should be illegal. I have nothing against legal American citizens presenting their case or arguing for their cause to their elected official, but when the money comes out, that should be illegal. It's the same a bribe. When "money" starts swaying how a politician decides instead of the merits of the cause, then the system is broken. Unfortunately that's what we have now.

Last edited:
In the interest of thinking differently about government, the following appeared in one or more north Texas newspapers and has been circulating in emails lately.

It outlines a concept that prompted several to comment and urge me to start this thread.

I would be interested in everybody's opinion of it, but most particularly I would like to hear from the Left why any one of the suggestions would be a good or bad idea:

PUT ME IN CHARGE!!!

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese and all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want steak and frozen pizza, then get a job.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I'd do is to get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations. Then, we'll test recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine and document all tattoos and piercings. If you want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, smoke or get tats and piercings, then get a job.

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a military barracks? You will maintain our property in a clean and good state of repair. Your "home" will be subject to inspections anytime and possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or Xbox 360, then get a job and your own place.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or you will report to a "government" job. It may be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you. We will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo and speakers and put that money toward the "common good."

Before you write that I've violated someone's rights, realize that all of the above is voluntary. If you want our money, accept our rules.. Before you say that this would be "demeaning" and ruin their "self esteem," consider that it wasn't that long ago that taking someone else's money for doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self esteem.

If we are expected to pay for other people's mistakes we should at least attempt to make them learn from their bad choices. The current system rewards them for continuing to make bad choices.

Alfred W. Evans, Gatesville

And recently somebody added one more:

While you are on Gov’t subsistence, you no longer can VOTE! Yes that is correct. For you to vote would be a conflict of interest. You will voluntarily remove yourself from voting while you are receiving a Gov’t welfare check. If you want to vote, then get a job or find other legal means of supporting yourself.

Everything she said ^

Lobbying, with "check book in hand," should be illegal. I have nothing against legal American citizens presenting their case or arguing for their cause to their elected official, but when the money comes out, that should be illegal. It's the same a bribe. When "money" starts swaying how a politician decides instead of the merits of the cause, then the system is broken. Unfortunately that's what we have now.

That's SO EASY to get around. The lobbyists don't have to "lobby with check book in hand". They can raise money. Then ask the politician for favors, and then raise more money.

There is no way to outlaw what a politician considers when they decide how to vote. That would require mind reading to prove.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Foxfyre. I'm against raising taxes at any level. I'm some type of paleo-conservative-libertarian hybrid. I agree that TX will solve their solution. Their budget is biennial. They'll fix it without raising taxes or whoever proposes such nonsense will get ousted.

LOL. Glad you clarified. I did misunderstand your intent. You'll have to work at it to out conservative, out libertarian me. In the Forbes article it was interesting that you have an outgoing fiscally liberal California governor turning over the reins to a more fiscally conservative Jerry Brown without much hope that anything will be solved. And the writer seemed to disparage Rick Perry in Texas while noting the voters rejected somebody with better credentials? And yet approved the Texas model.

Definitely a different way of looking at government.

I have long agreed with the management principle that you can't fix bad people by changing the system. And you can't fix a bad system just by changing the people.

We have been plagued with bad people prospering in a bad system for far too long.
We definitely need a different way of looking at government.

Yet the Supreme Court already has ruled that private contributions to candidates or causes of our choice are a form of speech and therefore Constitutionally protected. If I want to contribute to a cause my Congressman holds dear, that should be my right the same as if I held that cause dear myself.

But looking differently at government, if we reform the system so that my Congressman cannot use the people's treasury to reward me in any way for contributing to his cause, there is no problem. The most I might be able to 'buy' would be his ear or his time at lunch or some such. But he would be unable to use the people's money to show his appreciation.

And THAT's how you solve the problem.

Yet the Supreme Court already has ruled that private contributions to candidates or causes of our choice are a form of speech and therefore Constitutionally protected. If I want to contribute to a cause my Congressman holds dear, that should be my right the same as if I held that cause dear myself.

But looking differently at government, if we reform the system so that my Congressman cannot use the people's treasury to reward me in any way for contributing to his cause, there is no problem. The most I might be able to 'buy' would be his ear or his time at lunch or some such. But he would be unable to use the people's money to show his appreciation.

And THAT's how you solve the problem.

And how do we "reform the system so that my Congressman cannot use the people's treasury to reward me in any way for contributing to his cause"???

Anything a politician votes for can be justified by reasons other than his fundraising. If a lobbyists for the health insurance industry gives a pol some money, and the pol then votes for a govt program that gives billions of dollars in subsidies to insurance companies, the pol can claim his vote was based on what he thought was best, and not based on the lobbyists donations

What kind of law would prevent this?

The answer is, there is no such law because it could not be enforced. That's why even you can't actually say what such a law would prohibit and what it would allow, and how we can tell when the law has been broken.

Without fundamental changes in the way our political process works, their can be no real change. You do the same thing year after year and expect a different outcome.

So let's hear your ideas for doing it differently Flopper. How did you answer the poll?

And in answer to Sangha's question, you keep your Congressman from using the people's treasury to reward a person, entity, group, or whatever special interest by making it illegal to use the people's money for any form of charity. If the expenditure doesn't benefit everybody, rich, poor, middle class, equally, it is an illegal expenditure.

For those required government installations that have to be placed in various places, the states will work with the feds to see where they shall go. And they will be distributed across the country, based on the number of jobs they generate plus some other criteria, as equally as possible based on population. There will be no more of this 'you deliver the vote and you get the new military base' stuff.

There are millions of ways to cut the budget and make the government less costly too.

For instance, let's eliminate the redecorating allowance (many thousands of dollars) given to every new Senator and Congressman. The perfectly good expensive stuff used by his predecessor goes to a government warehouse where it will never ever again see the light of day, and all new stuff is bought. I say from now on the states will allocate whatever they think the Congressman should have or he can use his own money or he can use the stuff the previous Congressman used. That one small adjustment would save millions of the people's money.

We need a different way of looking at government.

It will takes half a dozen election cycles to get spending under control and right the ship of state.
Anyone who tries to resuscitate the progressive vision will be sacked and drowned in the Potomac.

America is finally ready for an autocratic police state with strong fascist tendencies:

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other.
~Ben Franklin

Touch my junk, search my home without a warrant, tell me lies, auction public offices off to the highest bidder, keep everything the government does a secret, bog us down in endless war, secretly read my e-mail and listen to my phone calls, treat me like a chump, screw me economically while you save the banks, revoke my Social security even tho I already paid for it, pile tens of thousands of dollars of debt upon me and my kids with not one damned thing to show for it, make me a debt slave by design.

YEAH!

With (despotic) democratic government like that give me a semi benevolent monarchy any day!

So let's hear your ideas for doing it differently Flopper. How did you answer the poll?

And in answer to Sangha's question, you keep your Congressman from using the people's treasury to reward a person, entity, group, or whatever special interest by making it illegal to use the people's money for any form of charity. If the expenditure doesn't benefit everybody, rich, poor, middle class, equally, it is an illegal expenditure.

For those required government installations that have to be placed in various places, the states will work with the feds to see where they shall go. And they will be distributed across the country, based on the number of jobs they generate plus some other criteria, as equally as possible based on population. There will be no more of this 'you deliver the vote and you get the new military base' stuff.

There are millions of ways to cut the budget and make the government less costly too.

For instance, let's eliminate the redecorating allowance (many thousands of dollars) given to every new Senator and Congressman. The perfectly good expensive stuff used by his predecessor goes to a government warehouse where it will never ever again see the light of day, and all new stuff is bought. I say from now on the states will allocate whatever they think the Congressman should have or he can use his own money or he can use the stuff the previous Congressman used. That one small adjustment would save millions of the people's money.

We need a different way of looking at government.
First and most important, you have to change the way political campaigns are financed. The recent ruling by the Supreme Court opens the door for huge political contributions from Corporations and special interest groups. We also need to limit the amount of money that can be spent on a campaigns and pass laws that return campaigning to town hall meetings and debates.

We need do away with the Senate filibusterer. It was a stupid rule to begin with and does not serve the people only political parties.

We need a law to the make it harder for congress to pass a non-balanced budget.

Finally, there are a number of parts of the Constitution that need to be clarified so the Supreme Court can get out of the busy of making laws.

In other words, we need major changes to the Constitution. The Constitution should be a living document that assist us in solving problems not a hindrance.

No we need to go back to the old way of thinking about government.

We need to see government as George Washington did.
“Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.”

Government is an odious entity, one that should be seen as a necessary evil to be tolerated for the greater good of protecting individual freedom.

I would embrace that goal also, but it is too late. The entitlement programs and greedy politicians seeking only power and control, have come a long way and there is no turning back. America is a multiracial and divided country now, with many people looking out only for themselves. It is what entitlement programs breed-- government dependence rather than personal accountability.

I hope the efforts of the new 112th Congress, can at least advance it's goal by staying true to all promises made, even though there will be division amongst the best. That is only natural.

Forum List

Back