We need a "car talk" forum?

plus i forget where to find the other thread lol....what kinda car you driving there glock ....gunny?

i drove a volvo one time...hated that car...totalled it coming off the beech in an ice storm.

Lots of good information in this thread. Thanks. It brings back a few memories. When I was younger, I remember wheel cylinders going bad a lot. When they did, a lot of people (including myself) would just get a hammer and beat the line flat going to that wheel to stop the fluid. We couldn't do but 3 wheels though. I drive my 55 Plymouth when I can now. Bought my first new car in 1962, second new car in 1964. When one would reach 200000 miles I would trade it in for another new one. All Chevys. Let me also say this. I'm not advocating anyone to do this, not that it is right or wrong, it's just what I do. I grease my vehicles, but I haven't changed oil since 1962 in a 1957 Chevy. Yes, I put 200000 miles on each one. I figure if I would save all the money from oil changes, when and if the engine went bad I could buy a new one with the money saved. Oil don't break down, it gets filthy though and may bring the millage down a couple points. I've never had to buy or rebuild an engine. I do have the radiators flushed and cleaned ever other year though. But please change your oil, as most people do. By the way, I have a 1950 tractor that has had 2 oil changes since new and only because I changed rings twice. It still runs great and I make my gardens with it and use it regularly.

When we were first married we always bought old cars we could pay cash for, but we were putting out upwards of $200 a month on repairs...I finally insisted that the next car we get be new. Yeah, we had car payments, but they equalled the repair bills we'd been paying and we didn't have the hassle. Since then we've bought two more new cars, one with cash. Both are cars are now FORDs, a focus and a taurus and we love them both. Our Taurus was slightly used when we bought it, it had $6,000 miles on it. That was almost 10 years ago and we've had very few problems with it. Well worth buying the newer car for us.
##################################################

By 993C4S

Porsche Purist

I participate on a lot of different social media sites. You can find me on Facebook, Linkedin, StumbleUpon, Digg, etc. Besides meeting great people who are interested in the same things as me (namely all things Porsche) I occasionally get good fodder for blog posts.

Maybe you’ve seen this Fiat that was morphed into a 996 look-a-like (for real). Well, check out the pictures below courtesy of “Kostenlose” over on Stumble. This is one of the funnier and better uses of Photoshop that I’ve seen in a while. Just to show I can be fair and balanced I threw in a Lambo, Ferrari and Corvette for your viewing pleasure.

Continue reading "Forget About Porsche, Have You Seen the New Smorsche?" »

I've had ONE CAR in the last twenty years. I bought my mothers Ford Taurus from her that she bought new. Nice car, but only had it for a year and sold it. Now I have a '97 GMC 4X4, fire engine red with a four inch lift and a five speed tranny. I love that truck. My other car is my Harley. A 2006 35th Anniversary Dyna Super Glide, #0793 of only 3500 made. That's the only new vehicle I've ever bought in my life. I too prefer buying good used cars and trucks. The most depreciation happens on a new car in the first two years after purchase. Look for cars that are just a few years old with low miles that someone took good care of and you'll find a great bargain.

I've had ONE CAR in the last twenty years. I bought my mothers Ford Taurus from her that she bought new. Nice car, but only had it for a year and sold it. Now I have a '97 GMC 4X4, fire engine red with a four inch lift and a five speed tranny. I love that truck. My other car is my Harley. A 2006 35th Anniversary Dyna Super Glide, #0793 of only 3500 made. That's the only new vehicle I've ever bought in my life. I too prefer buying good used cars and trucks. The most depreciation happens on a new car in the first two years after purchase. Look for cars that are just a few years old with low miles that someone took good care of and you'll find a great bargain.

I picked up a 99 Taurus with 60k on it for $1,000.

Those Tauruses have a few common problems, like a heater core that perpetually clogs, wipers like to intermitently come on for a pass or two out of nowhere, and did not have an available aftermarket installation kit for a CD player if you were unfortunate enough to have only the cassette model, until just recently.

Overall though it's a good car and for $1,000 I pretty much STOLE it.

I picked up a 99 Taurus with 60k on it for $1,000.

Those Tauruses have a few common problems, like a heater core that perpetually clogs, wipers like to intermitently come on for a pass or two out of nowhere, and did not have an available aftermarket installation kit for a CD player if you were unfortunate enough to have only the cassette model, until just recently.

Overall though it's a good car and for $1,000 I pretty much STOLE it.

I live in Wisconsin so the heater got a work out. Never had any problems with that. But you're right about the wipers. They worked, but the timer for intermittent passes was all messed up. I don't recall if mine had a CD player or not. It was a '97 Taurus. It had a darker rust colored paint job with factory, aluminum wire mags, and the interior was a dark charcoal fabric. Very nice looking and very comfortable. I'm no Ford fan but this was a nice car. The other thing that I didn't like though was even though the engine ran good and had plenty of spunk, if you punched it a little too much the trans would shift down a gear too far and not shift back up unless you backed off the throttle, consequently the engine would over rev. Seems to me Ford could have programmed shift points into the tranny to shift it up when the engine reached a designated rpm, instead of just going by throttle position.

In any case, yes, I think you did outstanding on a '99 with 60K miles for a grand. They are reliable cars.

Last edited:
I live in Wisconsin so the heater got a work out. Never had any problems with that. But you're right about the wipers. They worked, but the timer for intermittent passes was all messed up. I don't recall if mine had a CD player or not. It was a '97 Taurus. It had a darker rust colored paint job with factory, aluminum wire mags, and the interior was a dark charcoal fabric. Very nice looking and very comfortable. I'm no Ford fan but this was a nice car. The other thing that I didn't like though was even though the engine ran good and had plenty of spunk, if you punched it a little too much the trans would shift down a gear too far and not shift back up unless you backed off the throttle, consequently the engine would over rev. Seems to me Ford could have programmed shift points into the tranny to shift it up when the engine reached a designated rpm, instead of just going by throttle position.

In any case, yes, I think you did outstanding on a '99 with 60K miles for a grand. They are reliable cars.

Yeah my Taurus does that too when you mat the throttle. The passing gear seems to be 2nd, but if I'm doing 70 on the highway I don't want to drop into 2nd gear, that's too low a gear for those RPM's. I try to avoid matting it all the way. A little less than full throttle usually drops you into 3rd which is good enough.

It's just a Taurus, afterall. I'm not trying to race for pinks :lol:

Your model is the same as mine, as far as the specs go. Same body style and all. Some of the factory radios with cassette came with a factory CD changer, and some didn't. Mine didn't, and there isn't an available aftermarket changer. You can only use the OEM changer and to buy it seperately it's like $500 or something ridiculous.

Now you can get an aftermarket installation kit to use a standard DIN-style receiver, for $60 from Crutchfield. So for about $160 you can have a CD player. Not too bad, I guess.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back