We Must Choose Between Our Babies And Affordable Energy: The New War On Coal

got_coal_bib.jpg

China develops 5-trillion-yuan alternative energy plan - People's Daily Online

To promote the development of the emerging energy industries and meet the carbon emissions reduction targets of 2020, the National Energy Administration (NEA) has compiled a development plan for emerging energy industries from 2011 to 2020 that will require direct investments totaling 5 trillion yuan, according to the NEA on July 20.

Jiang Bing, director-general of the Policy Planning Department under the NEA, said that the plan has specified major policy measures for the development and utilization of nuclear, wind, solar, biomass, geothermal, unconventional natural gas and other new energies. The plan has also detailed the industrialized application of new clean coal, smart grid, distributed energy and alternative-fuel vehicle technologies.
According to initial calculations, the new plan will greatly ease China's excessive reliance on coal in 2020 and cut sulfur dioxide emissions by about 7.8 million tons and carbon dioxide emissions by about 1.2 billion tons in a year. Furthermore, this will contribute 1.5 trillion yuan in added-value per year and create 15 million job opportunities.

China develops 5-trillion-yuan alternative energy plan - People's Daily Online

To promote the development of the emerging energy industries and meet the carbon emissions reduction targets of 2020, the National Energy Administration (NEA) has compiled a development plan for emerging energy industries from 2011 to 2020 that will require direct investments totaling 5 trillion yuan, according to the NEA on July 20.

Jiang Bing, director-general of the Policy Planning Department under the NEA, said that the plan has specified major policy measures for the development and utilization of nuclear, wind, solar, biomass, geothermal, unconventional natural gas and other new energies. The plan has also detailed the industrialized application of new clean coal, smart grid, distributed energy and alternative-fuel vehicle technologies.
According to initial calculations, the new plan will greatly ease China's excessive reliance on coal in 2020 and cut sulfur dioxide emissions by about 7.8 million tons and carbon dioxide emissions by about 1.2 billion tons in a year. Furthermore, this will contribute 1.5 trillion yuan in added-value per year and create 15 million job opportunities.

I'm so glad that China is trying to get it together because they're poisoning their population. Air-pollution is horrible in China.

I'm still wondering how shutting down plants all over the U.S. is going to solve our problems. I would think instead of Obama wasting billions on pie-in-the-sky measures and propping up unsustainable solar companies he should allow energy producers to cycle out old plants with new cleaner energy plants. This takes time.....and it seems Obama isn't waiting for it to happen. Instead he's going to burden consumers with heavy energy bills.

The EPA has more effect on inflation and on the economy then people realize. Letting folks like these Harvard egg-heads take control of it has proven to be disastrous.

The energy companies have had plenty of time to meet existing environmental regulations. They have failed to do so, and will continue to fail to do so until they are forced to.

I remember Clinton signing water purity laws right before he left office that would have raised bottled-water prices to an estimated $100/gal.

Bush had to override the new regs and was accused of wanting to kill babies.

These regulations are intended purely to curb consumption.

Obama is in the habit of governing with politics only in mind rather than worrying about the economic impact.

Last edited:
When is the deadline for meeting the new regulations?

March 2013

I think the deadline should be 10 years, not right after the next election.

It takes years just to push through the permits much less rebuild their plants or build new plants.

The EPA allowed HVAC refrigerants to be cycled out of the system over a couple of decades. What's the rush?

Last edited:
Imagine the hit these energy companies are gonna take shutting down energy plants so they can meet the standards. Guess who they're pass all that extra expense on to?

Oh I know. Who cares, those evil electricity producing bastards.

Last edited:
It is too much to ask of the energy companies that they don't destroy our water with mercury?

Spend some fucking money and put in the scrubbers that are going to clean up this mess, you cheap fucking bastards.

Imagine the hit these energy companies are gonna take shutting down energy plants so they can meet the standards. Guess who they're pass all that extra expense on to?

Oh I know. Who cares, those evil electricity producing bastards.
The poor and the working class are going to be hardest hit, of course.

But that's just collateral damage. The Democrats can feel good about themselves for saving the planet, and that's all that matters.

It is too much to ask of the energy companies that they don't destroy our water with mercury?

Spend some fucking money and put in the scrubbers that are going to clean up this mess, you cheap fucking bastards.
And then you'll bitch that your power bill goes up.

it has gone up anyway.
And you'll bitch more.

I keep waiting for some drooling idiot lefty to propose a law making it illegal for companies to pass on increased cost to consumers.

Forum List

Back