we men are wussies, compared to this chick.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKSuddeth, Apr 8, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    http://edition.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/04/06/health.caesarean.reut/

Woman performs own caesarean to save baby

(Reuters) -- A pregnant woman in Mexico gave birth to a healthy baby boy after performing a caesarean section on herself with a kitchen knife, doctors said on Tuesday.

It is thought to be the first known case of a self-inflicted caesarean in which both the mother and baby survived.

The unidentified 40-year-old, who lived in a rural area without electricity, running water or sanitation that was an eight-hour drive from the nearest hospital, performed the operation when she could not deliver the baby naturally.

She had lost a previous baby due to labor complications.

"She took three small glasses of hard liquor and, using a kitchen knife, sliced her abdomen in three attempts...and delivered a male infant that breathed immediately and cried," said Dr R.F. Valle, of the Dr Manuel Velasco Suarez Hospital in San Pablo, Mexico.

Valle recounted the event in a report in the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics.

Before losing consciousness the woman told one of her children to call a local nurse for help. After the nurse stitched the wound with a sewing needle and cotton thread, the mother and baby were transferred and treated by Valle and his colleagues at the nearest hospital.

"This case represents an unusual and extraordinary decision by a woman in labour who, unable to deliver herself spontaneously, and with no medical help or resources, decided to perform a caesarean section upon herself," Valle said.

He added that a mother's instinct to save her child can move a woman to perform extraordinary acts but said it would not have been necessary if adequate medical care had been available.

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard this on the radio yesterday, it is amazing. It's true though, Mother's seem to do what it takes for their children.

Yes DK, I would say men can be wussies - face it, even a simple cold and men seem to not be able to handle that as good as a woman! :D

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    well I wouldn't go THAT far :D

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    That is the coolest thing I have ever heard. There's one kid who is never gonna have momma jokes told to him.

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    While it is quite amazing and good, notice the spin:

Most people think a doctor or nurse MUST be there. They forget a couple hundred years ago this wasn't the case.

In the overwhelming majority of the cases, natural childbirth succeeds without any intervention from doctors whatsoever. Today, we are supposed to depend on the medical establishment.

6. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    This wasn't natural childbirth. she performed her own C section.

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I know, that is why I tried to make the distinction of "MOST".

My comment shows its relevancy to the exact topic to be equal and opposite to their spin at the end.

-It really isn't needed, and is not adressing the issue directly. :)

8. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    gotcha, :thup:

9. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I would. Ive seen you when youre sick. and then there is me......
    I can keep going with tubes sticking out of me - a cold keeps you (and every other man) pitifully moaning and in bed

:poke: :banana:

you should :bow3: me.

10. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    heehee :p: