We have HONEYBEES!

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
On our huge trumpet vine.

We have had hives in the past and have been considering that again but, its just really exciting to see honeybees!

Anyone else?

Its possible to track bees. One method requires you catch several, let them go one at a time and track the direction they go. So, no, I have no idea where their hive is but they're certainly welcome.

There are several different kinds of honeybees, Italian, Carpathian and others so I suspect you have seen honeybees.

I don't know what "regular" bees are.

My parents have 3 hives.... well, Mom really. She makes honey... Every damned time she shows up, she has honey... I hate honey. LOL

Early on this spring, there were honeybees all over our hummingbird feeders. And I am seeing more of them in the blackberries on the land adjoining the mill than I have in years. That is a good thing. You see, we have this manlift at work that I use after work when the berries are ripe. Makes picking a couple of gallons of them quick work.

We have about six pairs that are around constantly. Agressive little buggers. Sit right by your ear when we are filling the feeders. Fun to watch. Managed to get a few good pictures of them by putting the camera on flash in broad daylight. Even stopped the wing motion.

I had a guy come in and set up 2 hives on my farm this year.
I had not seen any honey bees around for a few years before that.

I have been planting things that bees like (i hope) I see so few of them now.

If you are feeding birds, they know you, well.

Keep on the lookout, for reports, of sudden hive collapse. I don't see bees, where I am, nearly as often, as I used to, except dead or disoriented bees, either European or bumblebees.

10 suspected factors, for colony collapse disorder:

Colony Collapse Disorder - 10 Possible Causes of Colony Collapse Disorder

--------------------------

Bee colony collapse associated with viral, fungal infection, biologist says

To discover what might be attacking bee colonies, the team ground up dead bees that had succumbed to colony collapse disorder. Using analytical equipment, researchers discovered through spectroscopic analysis evidence of a moth virus called insect iridescent virus (IIV) 6 and a fungal parasite called Nosema.

The insect virus is closely related to another virus that wiped out bee populations 20 years ago in India, he said. Also, unlike previous research that found the deaths may be caused by a virus with RNA, the IIV 6 contains DNA.

Bee Colony Collapse May Have Several Causes | Wired Science | Wired.com

A variety of pests, viruses and parasites could all be working together to stress the bees. And in some ways, that’s worse than trying to take on a single culprit: The problems with beekeeping are systemic, Ratnieks said, and can’t be solved with a new pesticide or technique.

In an increasingly globalized world, bee pathogens travel quickly between bee populations. Over the last decades, the Varroa destructor mite has spread from Asian honeybees to the rest of the continents. The gut parasite Nosema ceranae has taken the same path. Both species are believed to make existing bee diseases worse. V. destructor took about four decades, reaching North America about a decade ago. N. ceranae circled the globe in a quarter of that time.

“It is certainly a case in the modern world, pathogens can be transmitted from one corner of the world to an another quickly,” Ratnieks said.

He compared the bee pathogen problems to those humans are encountering with swine flu and other emerging diseases, which can spread quickly thanks to modern transportation.

Use of common pesticide, imidacloprid, linked to bee colony collapse

The likely culprit in sharp worldwide declines in honeybee colonies since 2006 is imidacloprid, one of the most widely used pesticides, according to a new study from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH).

There you have it! The latest discovery involves a common pesticide. I suspect the several direct causes of collapse disorder interact with acid in the environment, which is accumulating, wherever water gathers, since CO2 converts, to H2CO3, carbonic acid, in water.

Carbonic acid is attacking ocean organisms. Feel your eyes sting, when you sweat? Same stuff! I bet it hurts little creatures, which get into places, where moisture gathers, like inside blossoms.

10 suspected factors, for colony collapse disorder:

Colony Collapse Disorder - 10 Possible Causes of Colony Collapse Disorder

Bee colony collapse associated with viral, fungal infection, biologist says

To discover what might be attacking bee colonies, the team ground up dead bees that had succumbed to colony collapse disorder. Using analytical equipment, researchers discovered through spectroscopic analysis evidence of a moth virus called insect iridescent virus (IIV) 6 and a fungal parasite called Nosema.

The insect virus is closely related to another virus that wiped out bee populations 20 years ago in India, he said. Also, unlike previous research that found the deaths may be caused by a virus with RNA, the IIV 6 contains DNA.

Bee Colony Collapse May Have Several Causes | Wired Science | Wired.com

A variety of pests, viruses and parasites could all be working together to stress the bees. And in some ways, that’s worse than trying to take on a single culprit: The problems with beekeeping are systemic, Ratnieks said, and can’t be solved with a new pesticide or technique.

In an increasingly globalized world, bee pathogens travel quickly between bee populations. Over the last decades, the Varroa destructor mite has spread from Asian honeybees to the rest of the continents. The gut parasite Nosema ceranae has taken the same path. Both species are believed to make existing bee diseases worse. V. destructor took about four decades, reaching North America about a decade ago. N. ceranae circled the globe in a quarter of that time.

“It is certainly a case in the modern world, pathogens can be transmitted from one corner of the world to an another quickly,” Ratnieks said.

He compared the bee pathogen problems to those humans are encountering with swine flu and other emerging diseases, which can spread quickly thanks to modern transportation.

Use of common pesticide, imidacloprid, linked to bee colony collapse

The likely culprit in sharp worldwide declines in honeybee colonies since 2006 is imidacloprid, one of the most widely used pesticides, according to a new study from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH).

There you have it! The latest discovery involves a common pesticide. I suspect the several direct causes of collapse disorder interact with acid in the environment, which is accumulating, wherever water gathers, since CO2 converts, to H2CO3, carbonic acid, in water.

Carbonic acid is attacking ocean organisms. Feel your eyes sting, when you sweat? Same stuff! I bet it hurts little creatures, which get into places, where moisture gathers, like inside blossoms.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pYwPc6UNmo]Joe Strummer "Johnny Appleseed" - YouTube[/ame]

Lord, there goes Johnny Appleseed
He might pass by in the hour of need
There's a lot of souls
Ain't drinking from no well locked in a factory

Hey - look there goes
Hey - look there goes
If you're after getting the honey - hey
Then you don't go killing all the bees

Lord, there goes Martin Luther King
Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring
I hear what you're saying, I hear what he's saying
*Is what was true now no longer so

Hey - I hear what you're saying
Hey - I hear what he's saying
If you're after getting the honey - hey
Then you don't go killing all the bees
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/j/joe_strummer_and_the_mescaleros/johnny_appleseed.html ]
What the people are saying
And we know every road - go, go
What the people are saying
There ain't no berries on the trees

Let the summertime sun
Fall on the apple - fall on the apple

Lord, there goes a Buick forty-nine
Black sheep of the angels riding, riding down the line
We think there is a soul, we don't know
That soul is hard to find

Hey - down along the road
Hey - down along the road