We have a serious spending problem - and it can't be disputed

P@triot

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2011
United States
For the first time in U.S. history, revenues to the federal government hit $3 trillion in a single year (2014). And yet our failed liberal government still ran up half a trillion in deficit spending. We do not have a revenue problem - we have a spending problem. And it cannot be disputed.

Furthermore, it is not even remotely possible to burn through $3 trillion unless you're actively trying to collapse a nation/economy. It's an astronomical amount of money that cannot be spent unless you throw it away intentionally - like spending over $300k to give bunnies Swedish massages 4x's a day (you can't make this stuff up folks - just click here).

Federal Tax Revenue Surpasses 3 Trillion for First Time Ever

3 Trillion in a 18 trillion dollar economy? That is hardly excessive. Even adding in State and Municipal spending, the US spends less as a percentage of GDP than most industrialized democracies.

e497ee070336a0045bf187310d6cdf468d0c4387.jpg

3 Trillion in a 18 trillion dollar economy? That is hardly excessive. Even adding in State and Municipal spending, the US spends less as a percentage of GDP than most industrialized democracies.

Until Obama, we were the worlds #1 economy

If government spending is more than 10% of GDP, government is too big and is spending too much. Additionally, outside of MAJOR national emergencies, if government needs to borrow to spend, it is spending too much.

I don't expect fans of big government to agree.

If government spending is more than 10% of GDP, government is too big and is spending too much. Additionally, outside of MAJOR national emergencies, if government needs to borrow to spend, it is spending too much.

I don't expect fans of big government to agree.

Except most civilized countries spend more than we do.

I do agree that we borrow too much, but here's the thing. borrowing is easier politically than taxing or cutting spending.

I do agree that we borrow too much, but here's the thing. borrowing is easier politically than taxing or cutting spending.

Soooo, spending like a drunken Marine makes me more civilized? :lol:

Borrowing is easy when rates are in the cellar...saving not so much. Perpetual low rates encourage debt and spending and discourage saving and investment. An economy that is dependent on citizens spending at the expense of saving is not sustainable. An economy that is depends on citizens taking on more debt to sustain their spending is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

If that was the total, you might be right. Now, add in state and local taxes and "fees", and just how much of a dollar does a person get to keep?

Mark

Borrowing is easy when rates are in the cellar...saving not so much. Perpetual low rates encourage debt and spending and discourage saving and investment. An economy that is dependent on citizens spending at the expense of saving is not sustainable. An economy that is depends on citizens taking on more debt to sustain their spending is a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree, borrowing is bad. Letting the rich impoverish the working class and destroying your tax base is bad.

Sadly, this is what Republicans are about.

I agree, borrowing is bad. Letting the rich impoverish the working class and destroying your tax base is bad.

Sadly, this is what Republicans are about.

Sadly, it's what both major parties are about. Take off the party blinders, my friend, before you trip and hurt yourself.

It's interesting that used "drunken Marine" for your analogy, I too think we need to cut back our military-industrial complex expenditures.

Do you know the difference between marginal tax rate and effective tax rate?

The 5.3 percent rate (as well as the other rates discussed here for 2013 and other years) is the effective tax rate, or the percentage of its income that a family pays in taxes. It is well below the 15 percent marginal tax rate — the rate paid on a filer’s next dollar of income — that a family of four in the exact middle of the income spectrum faces. A family’s effective tax rate typically is significantly lower than its marginal tax rate because the family takes the standard deduction (or, in some cases, itemized deductions), personal exemptions, and tax credits such as the child tax credit, and because a portion of the family’s taxable income is taxed at lower rates. (For the median-income family, some of its income is not taxed, some is taxed at a 10 percent rate, and some is taxed at a 15 percent rate.)

4-14-10tax-f1.jpg

It's interesting that used "drunken Marine" for your analogy, I too think we need to cut back our military-industrial complex expenditures.

Do you know the difference between marginal tax rate and effective tax rate?

The 5.3 percent rate (as well as the other rates discussed here for 2013 and other years) is the effective tax rate, or the percentage of its income that a family pays in taxes. It is well below the 15 percent marginal tax rate — the rate paid on a filer’s next dollar of income — that a family of four in the exact middle of the income spectrum faces. A family’s effective tax rate typically is significantly lower than its marginal tax rate because the family takes the standard deduction (or, in some cases, itemized deductions), personal exemptions, and tax credits such as the child tax credit, and because a portion of the family’s taxable income is taxed at lower rates. (For the median-income family, some of its income is not taxed, some is taxed at a 10 percent rate, and some is taxed at a 15 percent rate.)

4-14-10tax-f1.jpg

That's nice, sweetie, and yes I do know the difference.
Do you know the difference between a tax rate, which you are apparently talking about, and an interest rate, which is what I was discussing?

For the first time in U.S. history, revenues to the federal government hit $3 trillion in a single year (2014). And yet our failed liberal government still ran up half a trillion in deficit spending. We do not have a revenue problem - we have a spending problem. And it cannot be disputed.

Furthermore, it is not even remotely possible to burn through $3 trillion unless you're actively trying to collapse a nation/economy. It's an astronomical amount of money that cannot be spent unless you throw it away intentionally - like spending over $300k to give bunnies Swedish massages 4x's a day (you can't make this stuff up folks - just click here).

Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Most Americans pay more in payroll taxes, which support Social Security and Medicare, than they do in income taxes. In a typical, non-recession year (that is, one without a temporary tax cut), payroll taxes amount to about 9 percent of income for households in the middle quintile, according to CBO.

Nothing like ignoring the fact that as a percentage of GDP, revenues are still significantly lower than they have been for the vast majority of the past 60 years.

Nothing like ignoring the fact that as a percentage of GDP, revenues are still significantly lower than they have been for the vast majority of the past 60 years.
Nothing like ignoring facts for propaganda. $3 trillion. It's absolutely unfathomable and completely outrageous. I could easily run the federal government off of $1 trillion while paying down the national debt at the same time.

Unconstitutional, liberal government continues to humiliate itself...

1. The National Institute of Health’s Center for Alternative and Complimentary Medicine spent$387,000 to study the effects of Swedish massages on rabbits.

2. The Department of Interior spent $10,000 to monitor the growth rate of saltmarsh grass. In other words, the government is paying people to watch grass grow. On the bright side, they have not started paying people to watch paint dry.

3. The National Science Foundation has granted more than $200,000 to a research project that is trying to determine how and why Wikipedia is sexist. Wikipedia’s War on Woman?

4. The National Institute of Health funded a study to see if mothers love dogs as much as they love kids. Regardless of the results, this experiment cost taxpayers $371,026.

5. The federal government has granted $804,254 for the development of a smartphone game called “Kiddio: Food Fight.” The game is intended to teach parents how to convince their children to try and eat new healthier food choices.

6. The National Endowment for the Humanities has provided $47,000 for undergraduate classes that teach students about laughing and humor.

7. The National Science Foundation spent $856,000 to teach mountain lions how to walk on treadmills as part of a research project whose aim was to better understand mountain lions’ instincts.

Top 7 Wackiest Examples of Wasteful Government Spending from Wastebook 2014

Weird, ECONOMISTS MEASURE BY PERCENTAGE OF GDP

Dubya took US to Korean war levels, Obama isn't near where Clinton had US

Historical Source of Revenue as Share of GDP

CBO: Fed tax rates hit historic low

The average tax rates for American households reached a historical low in 2009, according to a report issued by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office.

Indeed, federal taxes for American households averaged 17.4 percent in 2009, a historical low over the 1979 to 2009 period.

WEIRD, WASN'T THAT WHEN THE TP (BIRCHERS) WERE FORMED?

CBO Fed tax rates hit historic low - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

The average filer saw her effective tax rate drop from 22 percent in 1979 to 18.1 percent in 2010

Your taxes are really low in one chart - The Washington Post

Tax bills in 2009 at lowest level since 1950

Federal, state and local income taxes consumed 9.2% of all personal income in 2009, the lowest rate since 1950

Tax bills in 2009 at lowest level since 1950 - USATODAY.com

Unconstitutional, liberal government continues to humiliate itself...

1. The National Institute of Health’s Center for Alternative and Complimentary Medicine spent$387,000 to study the effects of Swedish massages on rabbits.

2. The Department of Interior spent $10,000 to monitor the growth rate of saltmarsh grass. In other words, the government is paying people to watch grass grow. On the bright side, they have not started paying people to watch paint dry.

3. The National Science Foundation has granted more than $200,000 to a research project that is trying to determine how and why Wikipedia is sexist. Wikipedia’s War on Woman?

4. The National Institute of Health funded a study to see if mothers love dogs as much as they love kids. Regardless of the results, this experiment cost taxpayers $371,026.

5. The federal government has granted $804,254 for the development of a smartphone game called “Kiddio: Food Fight.” The game is intended to teach parents how to convince their children to try and eat new healthier food choices.

6. The National Endowment for the Humanities has provided $47,000 for undergraduate classes that teach students about laughing and humor.

7. The National Science Foundation spent $856,000 to teach mountain lions how to walk on treadmills as part of a research project whose aim was to better understand mountain lions’ instincts.

Top 7 Wackiest Examples of Wasteful Government Spending from Wastebook 2014

How many lives were lost and how much money spent on the conservatives war on false premises again?

New Topics

Forum List

Back