We have a revenue problem, absolute proof we need to raise taxes

We spend four times as much on defense as the next country, so I think we cut 75% from there before we take food from hungry people, agreed?

List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indeed.

The US spends a much as the next 26 countries combined - 24 of whom are your allies.

But guess what - those campaigning for lower taxes and less government don't want to touch the military budget. It is very, very silly.

The "military budget" includes spending on equipment for local police departments. Believe it or not, Democrats are just as loathe to touch that as Republicans. Why do you think defense spending went up the two years Democrats had carte blanche over the budget?

We spend four times as much on defense as the next country, so I think we cut 75% from there before we take food from hungry people, agreed?

And we do about a 1000 times more than anyone,its expensive to be the worlds police force/rescue unit.

Not really, that's largely mythical.

The UN goes into war for it own purposes, but if you look at the make-uo of UN peacekeeping forces around the world, a lot of countries from Nigeria to India, Finland to New Zealand and Belgium to Canada do more than their fair share.

It is just not big news on your TV screens.

How much of the UN peacekeeping budget comes out of the US defense budget?

The last EFFECTIVE corporate tax rate was 12%. NOT ENOUGH!

Include ALL taxes and fees, and the poorest pay more than that, as much as the richest %wise.

If really true , its fair then same %

Who received the larges % of tax rate reduction from the"Bush tax cuts"?

I believe personal tax rates in the US are too low.

Corporate taxes are probably too high, and I think a VAT is inevitable.

But what party has the balls to say so?

Corporate taxes...

Obama proposes lowering corporate tax rate to 28 percent

The plan would lower the nation’s corporate tax rate to 28 percent. At the same time, Obama wants to boost overall revenue from corporate taxation by banning numerous deductions and loopholes that save companies tens of billions of dollars a year on their tax bills.

The current U.S. corporate tax rate of 35 percent is one of the highest in the world, but the abundance of loopholes and deductions enable many businesses to pay far less than that — or nothing at all. Companies in the United States pay almost half the taxes that companies in other rich countries pay, compared with the size of the economy, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

The president’s plan targets oil and gas companies for tax increases while promising special breaks for manufacturing companies.

And in a slap at U.S. multinational corporations that shelter profits overseas, Obama wants those firms to pay a minimum tax on their foreign earnings. He also wants to end tax breaks for companies that outsource and give new tax incentives to firms that move jobs back home.

Marguerite Higgins of the conservative Heritage Foundation argued that such a tax would hurt competition.

Washington Post - February 22, 2012

When are you libtards going to understand that corporations don't pay taxes? Taxes for a corporation are an expense and passed along to their customers, so if you want to pay more tax indirectly through the corporations in higher prices, just keep crying, you may get what you wish for.

Corporate taxes...

The plan would lower the nation’s corporate tax rate to 28 percent. At the same time, Obama wants to boost overall revenue from corporate taxation by banning numerous deductions and loopholes that save companies tens of billions of dollars a year on their tax bills.

The current U.S. corporate tax rate of 35 percent is one of the highest in the world, but the abundance of loopholes and deductions enable many businesses to pay far less than that — or nothing at all. Companies in the United States pay almost half the taxes that companies in other rich countries pay, compared with the size of the economy, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

The president’s plan targets oil and gas companies for tax increases while promising special breaks for manufacturing companies.

And in a slap at U.S. multinational corporations that shelter profits overseas, Obama wants those firms to pay a minimum tax on their foreign earnings. He also wants to end tax breaks for companies that outsource and give new tax incentives to firms that move jobs back home.

Marguerite Higgins of the conservative Heritage Foundation argued that such a tax would hurt competition.

When are you libtards going to understand that corporations don't pay taxes? Taxes for a corporation are an expense and passed along to their customers, so if you want to pay more tax indirectly through the corporations in higher prices, just keep crying, you may get what you wish for.

That's not true, but don't let facts stop you from ranting.

Personally, I'd like to see corporate rates at 0%, marginal income tax rates back to the Clinton-era range (maybe a bit higher), perhaps a new higher marginal rate for AGI over, say, $600,000, and minimum rates after deductions.

Then, to free up business even more, I'd take away all of their horrific health care costs by instituting a standard Medicare chassis coupled with a robust free-market/private insurance supplement system, all of which are personal and not connected to employers in any way. Not only would that help business enormously, it would further cut long term health care costs by providing far, far better preventive and diagnostic services across the board.

American businesses would then not only be able to hire more people, they would attract mountains of global capital.

Yeah, I know, I'm nuts, you don't have to say it.

Last edited:
The GAO recently released a report describing the 160 separate programs the federal government has that offer assistance with housing. HUD has 91 separate programs, the Department of Agriculture has 18, the IRS has 14, the Treasury has 8, well, you get the idea by now. (By the way, who would go to the IRS to get help with housing?) If we cannot afford to fund 160 programs across multiple federal agencies we obviously need to raise taxes.

U.S. GAO - Housing Assistance: Opportunities Exist to Increase Collaboration and Consider Consolidation

Here is a complete list of the various federal programs devoted to keeping people off the streets. Only a heartless and cruel idiot could possibly object to raising taxes to keep families from sleeping under bridges.

U.S. GAO - Housing Assistance: An Inventory of Fiscal Year 2010 Programs, Tax Expenditures, and Other Activities (GAO-12-555SP, August 16, 2012), an E-supplement to GAO-12-554

:eusa_whistle:

Without a doubt, streamlining of many of these programs could save a lot of money. I don't think you will find many who deny government has gotten too big, but the fact remains that we also have a revenue problem. Since WWII, the federal government has run with revenues of just over 18% of GDP. During Reagan's first term, even with a horrible economy, revenues were over 19% of GDP, yet the last few years we have been running with around 15% of GDP. Over half of our yearly deficits are due to having such low revenue. What is shocking is that Republicans are trying to sell us on the idea that we should be running with even less. Pawlenty tried to sell us on cutting spending to 13% of GDP, and many cons think this is a great idea. It's really laughable.

Half of our yearly deficits have nothing to do with the fact that we have increased spending? Can you explain that to me in really small words?

This is not that difficult, peeps.:

runaway-spending-tax-revenue-606.jpg

Long term yes, but that can easily be resolved by raising the retirement age. All those spending increases are due to people living longer and drawing on SS and Medicare for a much longer period of time than ever was intended.

No it can't. Raising the retirement age would have worked to stave off the impending implosion of Social Security if we had done it 15 years ago, at this point the only hope is to radically change the way social security works.

The GAO recently released a report describing the 160 separate programs the federal government has that offer assistance with housing. HUD has 91 separate programs, the Department of Agriculture has 18, the IRS has 14, the Treasury has 8, well, you get the idea by now. (By the way, who would go to the IRS to get help with housing?) If we cannot afford to fund 160 programs across multiple federal agencies we obviously need to raise taxes.

U.S. GAO - Housing Assistance: Opportunities Exist to Increase Collaboration and Consider Consolidation

Here is a complete list of the various federal programs devoted to keeping people off the streets. Only a heartless and cruel idiot could possibly object to raising taxes to keep families from sleeping under bridges.

U.S. GAO - Housing Assistance: An Inventory of Fiscal Year 2010 Programs, Tax Expenditures, and Other Activities (GAO-12-555SP, August 16, 2012), an E-supplement to GAO-12-554

Sarcasm aside, other than cut, cut and cut some more what solution would you support?

My reading of comments posted on this message board have lead me to believe some who post here often are Callous Conservatives; yes, people who are "heartless and cruel" and some who are idiots in the colloquial sense of the word.

Government can be inefficient, those of us who worked in government know this to be true. The problems is systemic, and not endemic to government as we saw when those institutions to big to fail were exposed to the light.

The solution is not a simple one; the fix is not as simple as the simple minded believe.

The fact that the solution is not simple does not count as a reason not to implement a solution.

I just realized you are posting from Finland.

You understand this then.

In Canada we have the GST. It's a straight tax across the board.

ETA normally I can peg off shit like this but I'm in the midst of making jalapeno jelly and home made salsa. I can't see shit. Forgive me.

HOLY SHIT! Jalapeno jelly!? That's a thing!? And you make it!?

Marry me.

I suppose it might seem counter intuitive, but I believe radically raising taxes across the board - to a point that actually approached a balanced budget - would be the single most important step toward returning to sensibly limited government.

The reason government has grown into such a bloated, pervasive mess is that we're not actually paying for it; we're pushing it off on future generations. We won't be able to have a genuine national discussion on how much government we want and need until we're actually paying for the government we vote for.

Simply raising taxes will not work unless we also make sure they can't borrow more money. We need to require the government to only spend the money it has and only borrow if it can pass both houses and the signature of the president. We also have to make sure they have to pass any resolution to borrow money as a separate bill, not tack it onto something that no one would vote against. That would require a constitutional amendment.

A graph from the Heritage Foundation...just so you can't fall back on attacking the source.

Take a look...take a GOOD look at the last 32 years. Look for the HIGHEST spending peaks, and the LOWEST revenue valleys. Now plant these names in your little right wing minds...Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush.

Did Heritage screw up the spending as a percent of GDP numbers?

Or perhaps you haven't a clue and should just sit this one out.

LOL

Does it matter when you are comparing spending vs. revenues? Do you agree or disagree that the desired balance is to take in at least as much as you spend?

No, we need to agree that you spend no more than you take in. The government is quite adept at over estimating revenues in order to justify spending increases, that has to stop, at all levels of government.

Indeed.

The US spends a much as the next 26 countries combined - 24 of whom are your allies.

But guess what - those campaigning for lower taxes and less government don't want to touch the military budget. It is very, very silly.

If you look at what the cons support the government in doing, and consider things that would be important for a Monarch, large army, lots of prison cells, plenty of rules for the peasants to follow, with few for the "Royals" so you can pick and choose winners. It all makes sense, things are often not that complicated to understand. Then look at what they say about the death tax, it is all about protecting the interest of the great families.

I might just mention the name 'Kennedy' here... y'all lost Mass because you insulted the people by constantly calling it 'Kennedy's seat' when, in fact, it belongs to the people.

Shame on you for your bullshit. Unintelligent blather instead of intelligent discussion is not something to be proud of.

I agree. A flat tax for anyone above the poverty line works for me.

I'm not even sure I would take the poverty line into account.
Just a simple tax code.
Multiply how much you made by X% and send that in. No deductions.

Seems reasonable enough to simply exempt the first 10 grand or so, for everyone. If we're going on pure principle, I'd have to object to income tax altogether as a fundamental intrusion on privacy.

Not to mention the fact that declaring that part of a person's labor belongs to the government should be abhorrent to everyone on Earth.

I'm not even sure I would take the poverty line into account.
Just a simple tax code.
Multiply how much you made by X% and send that in. No deductions.

Seems reasonable enough to simply exempt the first 10 grand or so, for everyone. If we're going on pure principle, I'd have to object to income tax altogether as a fundamental intrusion on privacy.

Not to mention the fact that declaring that part of a person's labor belongs to the government should be abhorrent to everyone on Earth.

What would you replace income tax with?

How woefully ignorant.

Woefully ignorant? Is there something inaccurate about the data I posted? Do you have a problem with the credibility of the source? Did I lie? What, exactly, makes anything about this a display of ignorance?

I suppose it might seem counter intuitive, but I believe radically raising taxes across the board - to a point that actually approached a balanced budget - would be the single most important step toward returning to sensibly limited government.

The reason government has grown into such a bloated, pervasive mess is that we're not actually paying for it; we're pushing it off on future generations. We won't be able to have a genuine national discussion on how much government we want and need until we're actually paying for the government we vote for.

Simply raising taxes will not work unless we also make sure they can't borrow more money. We need to require the government to only spend the money it has and only borrow if it can pass both houses and the signature of the president. We also have to make sure they have to pass any resolution to borrow money as a separate bill, not tack it onto something that no one would vote against. That would require a constitutional amendment.

Sure. I'd hoped the complementary requirement of balanced budget was implicit in my suggestion. In any case, my underlying point is that it's irrational to think we can make overbearing government go away by cutting taxes, or that doing so will somehow pressure the statists into backing off. They've shown an enthusiastic willingness to simply sink us all deeper and deeper into debt.

And the point I'm making is that most of us are ok with the status quo because it causes us no immediate pain. If government growth was accompanied by immediate and automatic tax increases, enough to fully fund any new spending, taxpayers would be howling. And that would put pressure on our leaders to curb spending.

Corporate taxes...

That's not true, but don't let facts stop you from ranting.

What, exactly, did he get wrong?

What would you replace income tax with?

Why replace it?

Forum List

Back