We had Turkey and Dressing today

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by miketx, Jun 12, 2019.

1. skye

skye Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47,135

Me too! :eek2yum:

I might grab a turkey leg when I go to the supermarket next week! Each leg is huuuuuuuuge! it can feed an army almost!:laugh:

2. HenryBHough

HenryBHough Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,564
    Ah turkey!

In my family I cook the turkeys for festive occasions because I feel they're intended to be special and not to impose a lot of work on the ladies. They love it.

But for over a year we were "off" turkey entirely. Because the previous year we had worked with a volunteer group that "fed" all the workers. At the time turkey was the least expensive protein that could feed a large group. We had turkey at least three times a week.

Came Thanksgiving just after that year.....

I cooked "Mexican".

My sister (God rest her) choked it down but would never come back for a holiday meal.

All it took to have turkey suddenly become desirable was for me to offer to cook Mexican.

Doing it right takes time because the stuffing (some call it "dressing"...a regional thing, I guess) involves chopped giblets, precooked ground beef, precooked sausage, a little salt, a lot of pepper, sage (or commercial "poultry seasoning), chopped onions and celery, (OK, canned) mushroom slices and a moderate quantity of sliced water chestnuts (for the crunch). The whole thing roasted under a new (and well washed) white dish towel saturated with melted butter. Do it right and you can lift off the baked dish towel and use it as a mold to make a plaster-of-Paris turkey which, properly painted, you can donate to your liberal neighbors for their Thanksgiving. Since they regard that as a sort of penance they're glad to have such an appropriate feast! Besides, free is GOOD!

3. dannyboys

dannyboys Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,932
    Last year after Christmas day our grocery store was selling fresh 20 pound free range organic turkeys that had been priced $130 for $20. We bought five.
    We gave away four to the food bank.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HenryBHough

HenryBHough Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,564
    Earlier today I trotted out the old 6.00x16 inner tube; the 1/2 bushel basket and the dump rake with the chicken-wire basket and went for a dip.

Didn't take long to get a couple of quarts of quahogs. Some little necks (that's why there's a rock in the basket - to break 'em open and eat 'em alive). Mostly big old bulls. Gonna boil 'em up and take the scissors to them. Bust up some common crackers, mix in about 1/2 bottle of Star Brand crushed red peppers (the kind with the seeds and juice in the jar), a little salt and the minced quahogs. Get it pretty thick, like turkey stuffing, pack it back in the shells and tie them shut with butcher's string and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Best with beer.

Very cold beer.

When you got good stuffers you don' need no stinkin' turkey!

Besides: Stuffers don't got no feathers to stick in your teeth.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1