'We don't have dinner at home'

Urbanguerrilla

Silver Member
Aug 27, 2010
BBC Panorama's Hilary Andersson travels to a school in Las Vegas to meet some of America's youngest poor.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXaJKeYGzDU]Panorama - Poor America.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for posting this video, I watch it all, and encourage everyone to watch

I was once one of America's youngest poor, as were my 6 siblings. And that was well before the plethora of social programs that are available today.
It's hell. It's miserable, depressing, and oppressing.
But it's survivable.

I was once one of America's youngest poor, as were my 6 siblings. And that was well before the plethora of social programs that are available today.
But it's survivable.

It doesnt have to be like that though :eusa_eh:

The child is the video isn't starving and appears to be, if anything, a bit on the chubby side.

But it's survivable.

It doesnt have to be like that though :eusa_eh:

NO, it doesn't. You should send that child money for meals.

It was the 60's and with 7 mouths to feed aged 3 to 17 yes it had to be like that.
It's just the way it was.

BTW you can still send me money if you like. :D

The child is the video isn't starving and appears to be, if anything, a bit on the chubby side.

So the question here is, is it possible to be chubby and starving, or do you have to skinny to quality?

Have you ever seen anyone who is starving? They are skeletelly skinny with usually swollen bellies. There are pictures of the starving in Africa all over the place.

You are confusing starving with malnourished. Someone can live their entire lives in some state of malnutrition. Malnutrition has nothing to do with how much money a person has. Very rich people can be as malnourished as very poor people.

If you have noticed, hunger, starvation and malnutrition have all been removed and substituted with "food insecurity". Because we have no real hunger in this country, nor real starvation, the real problems have been replaced with feelings. If you are not hungry, and you are not starving, but you "feel" that you may be hungry at some vague point in the future, you are food insecure and need help.

The perfection of substituting genuine need with feelings is that it expands the number of food insecure. Once you have a fear that at some point in the future, it doesn't matter when or how far away, you might miss lunch, you are now food insecure.

Look at this.
ERS/USDA Briefing Room - Food Security in the United States

•In 2010, 85.5 percent of U.S. households were food secure throughout the entire year, and 14.5 percent of households were food insecure at least some time during that year. The difference in the percentage of food insecure households from the 2009 estimate (14.7 percent) was not statistically significant.

If you were food insecure at any time during the year, you are now "hungry and starving".

I'm food insecure at least once a month, if not once a week. I've missed breakfast at times, lunch at times and even dinner at times.

So the one little boy is saying he is not being fed, hungry... and his mother is pregnant.

Forum List

Back