CDZ We do love to extrapolate!

It goes hand in hand. If the people had virtue they would vote out the bad "public servants" and correct their errors. Instead we are caught up in a football team mentality where we look the other way for "our" guys and unfairly criticize "their" guys.

You don't get what you expect. You only get what you inspect.

Well, okay…but isn’t it possible to have a good public servant or one you consider “good” who gets into what I call “election mode” and goes down the road of making claims to fire up her/his base? I think it would be unreasonable to expect zero partisanship around election time.
If he or she did that would he or she be considered “good?"
For a Senator, six years is a term. If they are a responsible steward of the people’s trust for 5.5 of them and goes campaigning and “extrapolating” (LOL) the 1/2 year before the election, does that erase the other 5.5?
As with most things, it depends.

ok…

I think the whole record should be examined.
And weighed accordingly. If we are looking for perfection we will be surely disappointed.

Treat others as you would have them treat you or someone you care about. It doesn't get any more simple than that.
Unfortunately, that's asking too much of more and more people right now.

We have normalized this behavior.
Then we will suffer the predictable surprises from the normalization of our deviance from the standard.

But fear not, there is a self compensating feature at work. Everything works itself out in the end.

Treat others as you would have them treat you or someone you care about. It doesn't get any more simple than that.
Then we will suffer the predictable surprises from the normalization of our deviance from the standard.
But fear not, there is a self compensating feature at work. Everything works itself out in the end.
That's my hope!

I want to guard against assuming this trajectory will continue - I don't want to extrapolate too far!

That's my hope!

I want to guard against assuming this trajectory will continue - I don't want to extrapolate too far!
It will. Change like motion does not occur unless acted on by an outside force. Unfortunately, suffering (the outside force) is in our forecast.

It's OK to extrapolate, just don't assume it is linear.

Well, okay…but isn’t it possible to have a good public servant or one you consider “good” who gets into what I call “election mode” and goes down the road of making claims to fire up her/his base? I think it would be unreasonable to expect zero partisanship around election time.
If he or she did that would he or she be considered “good?"
For a Senator, six years is a term. If they are a responsible steward of the people’s trust for 5.5 of them and goes campaigning and “extrapolating” (LOL) the 1/2 year before the election, does that erase the other 5.5?
As with most things, it depends.

ok…

I think the whole record should be examined.
And weighed accordingly. If we are looking for perfection we will be surely disappointed.

Fair enough.

Speaking of the technical analysis guys I mentioned in the OP, here's another example from the investing world. Many smart people extrapolated that after Trump first dropped his tariff bomb in March that the market would tank. It's been the opposite, and China has taken a hit. That's as of yesterday. Things could change tomorrow, something to keep in mind.

Life is complicated, and making assumptions based on emotion or limited/incomplete data can be a bad idea.
6_zpsmvbz5auj.gif~original

Last edited:

Forum List

Back