We Cleared 10% In both 2009 and 2010

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
We took our profit and banked it. We barely broke even in 2011. We're both retired and two Thirds of what we have is in mutual funds. I'm scared schitless and I think I'm going 100% to low risk bonds.

Last edited:
I keep most my cash in a local credit union. They pay 2.4% on the balance up to $15K. Above that it's .61%. The rest is in muni's and stocks.
If you got any debt on the domicilus erectus, pay down the principal. It's like money in the bank.

We took our profit and banked it. We barely broke even in 2011. We're both retired and two Thirds of what we have is in mutual funds. I'm scared schitless and I think I'm going 100% to low risk bonds.

Let me guess, you think this is my fault because you think I am a Republican.

Here's my lifetime voting record:

1956 Eisenhower
1960 Nixon
1964 Goldwater
1968 Nixon
1972 Nixon
1976 Did Not Vote
1980 Anderson(I)
1984 Reagan
1988 Did Not Vote
1992 Did Not Vote
1996 Did Not Vote
2000 Did Not Vote
2004 Kerry *****
2008 Obama *****

***** Voted Against Spend and Borrow Republicans

When I was a Republican they stood for balanced budgets, small government and individual rights. Now they are in the pockets of the corporations and wealthy. Phuck 'em

I keep most my cash in a local credit union. They pay 2.4% on the balance up to $15K. Above that it's .61%. The rest is in muni's and stocks.
If you got any debt on the domicilus erectus, pay down the principal. It's like money in the bank.

Your credit union is paying 2.4% TODAY?!!

Not on regularly saving accounts, I'm guessing.

Right now I think my FCU is offering 0.1% on a regular savings account

Yeah....in our credit union we barely gain anything. I've noticed that their loans are a bargain...like less than 5% on some loans.

Here's my lifetime voting record:

1956 Eisenhower
1960 Nixon
1964 Goldwater
1968 Nixon
1972 Nixon
1976 Did Not Vote
1980 Anderson(I)
1984 Reagan
1988 Did Not Vote
1992 Did Not Vote
1996 Did Not Vote
2000 Did Not Vote
2004 Kerry *****
2008 Obama *****

***** Voted Against Spend and Borrow Republicans

When I was a Republican they stood for balanced budgets, small government and individual rights. Now they are in the pockets of the corporations and wealthy. Phuck 'em

Am I supposed to impressed that you voted?

I'm not.

That's sounds fishy. My credit union is loaning money at 1.99% on some deals.

I have heard there are quite a few european bonds worth considering as low risk ;-)

You can get a good mixture of German bonds you actually now pay for to buy, thus actually giving them money, and some 15% high risk bonds which will be bailed out by Germany anyways.

I think shorter term bonds might be a good idea, it might be a bad idea to invest in longer term bonds.

With the world's economy is a state of flux, banking on continued long term deflation (or very low rates of inflation) seems a tad risky.

My point here is obviously not that I KNOW where things are headed, rather it's that I doubt anybody knows where things are headed.

I'd try not lock investments into any longer term stategy.

However if I were feeling expansive (rather than defensive), I would definitily consider taking on fixed rate debt, right now.

There's no room for the cost of borrowing to get much lower, but there's plenty of opportunity for the cost of borrowing to increase.

Last edited:

I think shorter term bonds might be a good idea, it might be a bad idea to invest in longer term bonds.

With the world's economy is a state of flux, banking on continued long term deflation (or very low rates of inflation) seems a tad risky.

My point here is obviously not that I KNOW where things are headed, rather it's that I doubt anybody knows where things are headed.

I'd try not lock investments into any longer term stategy.

However if I were feeling expansive (rather than defensive), I would definitily consider taking on fixed rate debt, right now.

There's no room for the cost of borrowing to get much lower, but there's plenty of opportunity for the cost of borrowing to increase.

At this point we have moved a third of our holdings into an income fund. It sports a pretty nice annual record. For some reason I still like equities. What the hell....I was born broke and lived close to that till I was in my forties and at age 77 it will only effect my grandchildren if I'm wrong :)

I wouldn't be too scared. Typically presidential election years are great for stocks. The first half of the year I'm not too bullish on, mainly because of Europe, and a possible recession there, but the second half of the year I am very bullish on.

Forum List

Back