We are the hope of the Earth!

LibertyForAll

Nov 3, 2011
St. Louis, Mo
Romney said something to the effect last night that we are the hope of the Earth. Now this may be great rhetoric but is it true? How arrogant can we be to think such a thing. Maybe the rest of the world doesn't think they need saving?

Should we be running around the world with the attitude that our vision is the only worthy one? If we have this attitude shouldn't we expect resistance to it? We all have known this type of person and they are annoying to say the least. You know, the ones that believe they are God's Gift to creation.

Stephen Covey has a book called The 7 habits of highly effective people. It's a great book and it has changed the way I look at every area of my life. There is a chapter about negotiating and what the goal should be. The gist of it is that out of any negotiation all parties should walk away with the idea that they gained something from it. That we should strive for a win/win situation. You can't achieve this if you are unwilling to grant that the other party has something to offer.

You can't force people to be how you want them to be. You have to accept them how they are and find common ground to work from. All of this posturing and arrogance only serves to create division and hinders the creation of a cohesive world community.

Throwing money around is another symptom of this. We all probably have a relative that spends too much on gifts or a friend that always tries to pick up the check. This ends up coming off as insulting sometimes even if its well intended. My fathe- in-law does this to me all the time. It can create resentment, even if it is needed, especially if there are strings attached.

If we honestly believe that our way of doing things is best then there is nothing wrong with that. We should set an example and the truth will shine through. Other countries will emulate our policies because they work not because we paid them or threatened them. Pride has it's place but a little humility can go a long way as well.

Judging by the number of people tying together pieces of wood and jumping into the ocean to get here, I would say that is a pretty good clue we are the hope of the Earth.

It's a good slogan for the mindless. Hope for change comes to mind right away. That worked out well.....:lmao:

Without us, there would likely be one country spanning from Northern Africa and east through Iran...and it would be run by religious fanatics that would see anyone practicing anything but radical islam as infidels.
The Eastern Block countries would likely still be in tact as communist countries.
There would be no South Korea
Likely, China would have engulfed the Vietnam, Korea and possibly Japan by now.

And in return? We have more buried on the shores of other countries subesequent to defending their freedom than I can count.

Yeah...Id say we are the hope of the earth.

Judging by the number of people tying together pieces of wood and jumping into the ocean to get here, I would say that is a pretty good clue we are the hope of the Earth.
Yeah.....especially regarding the whole stewardship-trip.

air_pollution_oil_q_18924.jpg

RiverPollution-537x398.jpg

Let's all raise our glasses to commercial-progress!

%7B411D7A2A-ED2F-4A4F-9614-66B0D924A630%7D.JPG

Without us, there would likely be one country spanning from Northern Africa and east through Iran...and it would be run by religious fanatics that would see anyone practicing anything but radical islam as infidels.
The Eastern Block countries would likely still be in tact as communist countries.

And in return? We have more buried on the shores of other countries subesequent to defending their freedom than I can count.

Holy small world and history base, batman. These nations are thousands of years older than the founded United States and you think "without us", there would be one country spanning those areas?

Someone needs a nice long vacation.....in the history section of the library.

Holy small world and history base, batman. These nations are thousands of years older than the founded United States and you think "without us", there would be one country spanning those areas?

Someone needs a nice long vacation.....in the history section of the library.

Holy " if forgot about advances in technology" batman.

It used to take months to travel to a foreign land with an army.

Now all you need is a short/long range missle with a warhead.

It took Hussein a matter of hours to take over the capital of Kuwait.

It took us less time to kick him out.

These things have little to do with imperialism and nation building. Rome spread itself out pretty far during the empires "hayday". It was their own self destruct that ultimately stopped them.

You're just fear mongering speculative points about "one country from sea to sea" and the "US is the hope of the earth". It's nonsense. Arrogant nonsense.

\

Well, he was given the weapons and the green light from his handlers. Who then decided to turn on him. Those handlers were the US.

These things have little to do with imperialism and nation building. Rome spread itself out pretty far during the empires "hayday". It was their own self destruct that ultimately stopped them.

You're just fear mongering speculative points about "one country from sea to sea" and the "US is the hope of the earth". It's nonsense. Arrogant nonsense.

\

Well, he was given the weapons and the green light from his handlers. Who then decided to turn on him. Those handlers were the US.
Oh. I see.
I didnt understand your thinking.
You are one of those whackos.
Cya.

This is exactly the kind of attitude I was referring to. Those are objectives that may be in our best interests but are they what the people in that region want? If they really wanted our kind of government then wouldn't they rise up and demand it? Who are we to decide?

This is exactly the kind of attitude I was referring to. Those are objectives that may be in our best interests but are they what the people in that region want? If they really wanted our kind of government then wouldn't they rise up and demand it? Who are we to decide?

that is another topic and not what I am referring to.

I am talking about countries that have wanted our help. Europe during the WW for example. Kuwait back in 92. South Korea.....

Right now, most countries can not fend for themselves...and we are here if they ask for our help. And without us here, who would they turn to if there was fear of an invasion?

Commenting on someone who has paraphrased his remark seems a tad ridiculous to me.

'Hope' does not equate to 'save', so the OP is bullshit.

Having said that, historically, more people apply to come to the United States than any other nation on earth. Why is that if it is not for the 'hope' of a better life?

Commenting on someone who has paraphrased his remark seems a tad ridiculous to me.

'Hope' does not equate to 'save', so the OP is bullshit.

Having said that, historically, more people apply to come to the United States than any other nation on earth. Why is that if it is not for the 'hope' of a better life?

It would be great if that was the context that the phrase was spoken but it wasn't. I am not singling out Romney because I think this viewpoint is inherent in our society. We have been told we are the greatest nation on Earth over and over and over again. How could anyone not love us? They should thank us for getting rid of those bad guys even if some innocents are killed in the process, right? They should welcome our occupation of their land. It's for their own good. They should welcome the money we give them. We only ask that they sacrifice their soveriegnty for it. A small price right?

Many people want to come here and live in America. That doesn't mean that EVERYONE does. Those that do want a better life and that's fine but to extrapolate that out to the entire world and decide that everyone sees things that way is arrogant.

We should be a shining example of what a democratic society can accomplish. When our people are free, prosperous and happy then other countries will emulate us. In that sense we can be the hope of those who cherish freedom. We should be leading by example and fostering friendships and trade relationships. We should not be the hope for meal tickets or bailouts or defense.

Forum List

Back