We are Sleeping less. No kidding.

Dan Stubbs

FORGET ---- HELL
May 4, 2017
Some where in the Deep South.
I saw this in my Mag that I take and decided to post it.

Among nearly 400,000 respondents to the annual National Health Interview Survey, 32.9 percent reported this short sleep in 2017 — up from 28.6 percent in 2004 when researchers began noticing a slight drop in sleep time. That’s a 15 percent increase representing “more than 9 million people, which is about the population of New York City,” says coauthor Connor Sheehan, a sociologist at Arizona State University in Tempe.

Analysis of the annual survey results — accounting for the U.S. population’s age distribution as well as respondents' marital status, income, employment and lifestyle — suggests people have been sleeping significantly less from 2013 onward, especially black adults, the researchers report online November 17 in Sleep. In 2017, 40.9 percent of black Americans were likely to report short sleep, as were 30.9 percent of whites and 32.9 percent of Hispanics, the researchers calculate.

Zzz force

As for "normal" sleep time, consider that for the past hundred thousand years or so, there was no artificial light, and people pretty much went to bed when it got dark. Maybe up with candle light for a little while, but not for long.

If you are a male and start to age, your prostate grows, causing you to get up in the middle of the night to take a pee several times. This leads to a loss of sleep. Since the our fathers and grandfathers had more testosterone than our generation, I'm wondering if they also had fewer prostrate issues.

In the hustle and bustle of pushy bosses and deadlines; bumper to bumper traffic and the increase of tensions in family relationships, it makes it hard to unwind and sleep.

I've also noticed that some people are on these discussion boards 24 / 7.
When someone posts on a thread that a poster is following, they get out of the shower, out of bed (even if engaged in sex), off their job (even if they have to go to the bathroom and start posting.

Who has time for sleep?

If you are a male and start to age, your prostate grows, causing you to get up in the middle of the night to take a pee several times. This leads to a loss of sleep. Since the our fathers and grandfathers had more testosterone than our generation, I'm wondering if they also had fewer prostrate issues.

In the hustle and bustle of pushy bosses and deadlines; bumper to bumper traffic and the increase of tensions in family relationships, it makes it hard to unwind and sleep.

When someone posts on a thread that a poster is following, they get out of the shower, out of bed (even if engaged in sex), off their job (even if they have to go to the bathroom and start posting.

Who has time for sleep?

You do realize that the main reason prostates increase in size is due to increases in DHT (dihydrotestosterone)?

http://usrf.org/news/BPH_Prevention/DHT_Rev.pdf

In fact, the current last resort (outside of surgery) for BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia - enlarged prostate) are two drugs that reduce your DHT levels - finasteride and dutasteride.

As a bonus, since too much DHT is the main cause of male pattern baldness (MPB), they also (usually) stop hair loss due to MPB.

So...I doubt prostate problems (if what you are saying is true about testosterone in history) helped men sleep better long ago. Quite the opposite.

Who has time for sleep?

You do realize that the main reason prostates increase in size is due to increases in DHT (dihydrotestosterone)?

In fact, the current last resort (outside of surgery) for BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia - enlarged prostate) are two drugs that reduce your DHT levels - finasteride and dutasteride.

As a bonus, since too much DHT is the main cause of male pattern baldness (MPB), they also (usually) stop hair loss due to MPB.

So...I doubt prostate problems (if what you are saying is true about testosterone in history) helped men sleep better long ago. Quite the opposite.

I have no facts, only questions. So, I'll be 62 in a few weeks, have a full head of really dark hair and can still rise to the occasion, just without the force and amount of excitement with the happy ending.

But, without Terasozin, I'd have to go empty my bladder a couple of times each night.

My computer isn't making that noise to alert me that someone may have posted regarding something I posted so I'm going to bed and see if I can get a few hours of sleep before I wake up at the crack of dawn for no freaking reason in this world.

Who has time for sleep?

I have no facts, only questions. So, I'll be 62 in a few weeks, have a full head of really dark hair and can still rise to the occasion, just without the force and amount of excitement with the happy ending.

But, without Terasozin, I'd have to go empty my bladder a couple of times each night.

My computer isn't making that noise to alert me that someone may have posted regarding something I posted so I'm going to bed and see if I can get a few hours of sleep before I wake up at the crack of dawn for no freaking reason in this world.

I am not saying that people without MPB cannot have BPH. I was just saying that too much DHT is a cause of both BPH and Male Pattern Baldness (MPB).

These are medical facts.

And my point was that if men had more DHT long ago - they would have had more prostate problems...not less.

I go to sleep early--sleep is very important for health
and I hate being tired
it's very simple
kids getting sleep is very important, but some parents don't care
sleep and water ward against many health problems

Forum List

Back