We are our own worst enemies.

Couldn't have been the AM radio crowd making mountains out of molehills during an off cycle election, could it?

Partisanship goes two ways, my friend.

Obama, 2009: Now that progress has been made, he said, "we can't have special interests sitting shotgun. We gotta have middle class families up in front. We don't mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta sit in back."

South Dakota Politics: Obama Sends Republicans to the back of the bus

The Democrats behaved terribly in 2009, from Pelosi's "we won" to Obama's "they gotta sit in back" to the non-stop spiking of the ball by the media and the pundits and the partisans. Then they paid the price in 2010.

Anyone who denies that is, well, in partisan denial.

You'd have a point if that is what was said. It wasn't. Pelosi clearly stated that the preference would be to have Republican support.

The President never told Republicans to sit at the back of the bus. He was using a "drive the car" analogy saying that the GOP isn't in the drivers seat. Not the same as saying "get to the back of the bus".

Obama, 2009: Now that progress has been made, he said, "we can't have special interests sitting shotgun. We gotta have middle class families up in front. We don't mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta sit in back."

The Democrats behaved terribly in 2009, from Pelosi's "we won" to Obama's "they gotta sit in back" to the non-stop spiking of the ball by the media and the pundits and the partisans. Then they paid the price in 2010.

You'd have a point if that is what was said. It wasn't. Pelosi clearly stated that the preference would be to have Republican support.

The President never told Republicans to sit at the back of the bus. He was using a "drive the car" analogy saying that the GOP isn't in the drivers seat. Not the same as saying "get to the back of the bus".

I didn't bring up the "back of the bus" comment, and I agree he didn't say it. But what he said meant precisely the same thing. I pretty clearly remember the sentiment (not quotes) being "we won, you lost, too bad", which was disappointing because I was hopeful about the legislative mix, at least at the time.

But after they acted that way, I didn't blame the GOP for being pissed. I think the Republicans sure as hell took it too far, but the Dems were acting this way pretty much right off the bat.

We're divided because we have two major groups in this nation that do NOT share the same visions, dreams, out look on life, sense of personal responisibilty, values or morals and are too far apart on these things to ever find the common ground needed to work together. I fear it will eventually lead to serious bloodshed in this nation not seen since the War of Northern Aggression.

We've always had major differences in vision.

The difference is, in the past we've had "leaders" who were able to work through them by working together.

And the Revolution and Civil war are examples of leaders who work together, not to mention the violence of the 60's and 70's? We have grown too far apart in our beliefs to be able to work together.

We're divided because we have two major groups in this nation that do NOT share the same visions, dreams, out look on life, sense of personal responisibilty, values or morals and are too far apart on these things to ever find the common ground needed to work together. I fear it will eventually lead to serious bloodshed in this nation not seen since the War of Northern Aggression.

We're divided because of people like you.

Yup, because I detest the values and morals people like you hold, not to mention the fact that I detest the direction you wish to take my nation. THAT'S MY POINT DUMBASS

Well at least the leftist scum in this nation are.

If a Defense Department instructor dares to say the country is at war with Islam, he will swiftly find himself out of a job. On the other hand, stereotyping white people as racists or saying the American dream is a myth is rewarded with a diploma.

what led you to choose to become a professional douchepickle?

Pillow talk with your mom

Yup, because I detest the values and morals people like you hold, not to mention the fact that I detest the direction you wish to take my nation. THAT'S MY POINT DUMBASS

Yeah, well that's just too fucking bad about you and your high minded values and morals now isn't it.

The difference is, in the past we've had "leaders" who were able to work through them by working together.

So for the record, you condemn Pelosi saying she wasn't considering Republican ideas because "we won" and Obama saying Republicans can sit "in the back of the bus?"

Gee, maybe we're so divided because people misrepresent what others say.

Pelosi's comment in regards to the Stimulus was:

“Yes, we wrote the bill. Yes we won the election, but that doesn’t mean we don’t want sustainability or Republican support,”

But the RW media bubble whittled it down to "we won, suck it".

As to the second, provide the quote.

Yeah, Democrats want Republican support. What they don't want is Republican input. In other words, Republicans can go suck it unless they bend over and do whatever we demand.

I have no idea what "sustainability" is supposed to mean.

Yeah, well that's just too fucking bad about you and your high minded values and morals now isn't it.

In other words, the only way to deal with people like you is to defeat you.

No, they aren't. They aren't examples at all. Pelosi didn't say "we won, suck it" and the President NEVER told Republicans to get in the back of the bus.

Republicans on the other hand did say that their number one goal was to make President Obama a one term President. That's not divisive at all though...

Should the Republican's goal be to get Obama re-elected?

No, their number one goal should have been working together to serve the American people.

Working with Obama only serves the interests of parasites and looters.

Yeah, too bad. AGAIN you ignoirant twit, THAT IS MY POIJNT. We are too far apart on too many issues to peacfully co-exist for much longer. Anyone that knows anything about human history can see the writing on the wall. This nation is headed towards a violent confrontation maybe even another civil war or revolution. I spent large chunks of my youth in a nation torn apart by sectarian violence and it's not something I wish for my nation, but I see it as inevitable and do my best to prepare for it. It's happening all over the world, not just in the muslim lands, but in decent and civilized nations also and Americans are no better or no worse than anyone else, just much better armed.

In other words, the only way to deal with people like you is to defeat you.

The best way to deal with people like this is with a quick arrest, a short trial and a firing squad.

So for the record, you condemn Pelosi saying she wasn't considering Republican ideas because "we won" and Obama saying Republicans can sit "in the back of the bus?"

Yes, the Dems' behavior in 2009/2010 earned them their losses in 2010, and those are two good examples.

Whoa! How FAIR! And entirely inaccurate.

I didn't bring up the "back of the bus" comment, and I agree he didn't say it. But what he said meant precisely the same thing. I pretty clearly remember the sentiment (not quotes) being "we won, you lost, too bad", which was disappointing because I was hopeful about the legislative mix, at least at the time.

But after they acted that way, I didn't blame the GOP for being pissed. I think the Republicans sure as hell took it too far, but the Dems were acting this way pretty much right off the bat.

You also believe that he meant " you didn't build that" as a slam against business owners. Is it possible that you are BIASED in some way.....and this causes you to "remember the sentiment" with total inaccuracy?

Of course not......you are too smart for that, right?

No, it doesn't mean the same thing. Saying "you don't get to drive the car" is not the same as saying "get to the back of the bus, n-word".

So it was just the Democrats that behaved badly in your opinion? The GOP just took it a tad too far? Really?

As President Barack Obama was celebrating his inauguration at various balls, top Republican lawmakers and strategists were conjuring up ways to submarine his presidency at a private dinner in Washington.[...]

For several hours in the Caucus Room (a high-end D.C. establishment), the book says they plotted out ways to not just win back political power, but to also put the brakes on Obama's legislative platform.

"If you act like you're the minority, you're going to stay in the minority," Draper quotes McCarthy as saying. "We've gotta challenge them on every single bill and challenge them on every single campaign."​

GOP's Anti-Obama Campaign Started Night Of Inauguration

Now this truly bipartisan couple of guys, who have been studying Washington politics for decades, came to a different conclusion...The Republicans are the problem.

In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges.

“Both sides do it” or “There is plenty of blame to go around” are the traditional refuges for an American news media intent on proving its lack of bias, while political scientists prefer generality and neutrality when discussing partisan polarization. Many self-styled bipartisan groups, in their search for common ground, propose solutions that move both sides to the center, a strategy that is simply untenable when one side is so far out of reach.

It is clear that the center of gravity in the Republican Party has shifted sharply to the right. Its once-legendary moderate and center-right legislators in the House and the Senate — think Bob Michel, Mickey Edwards, John Danforth, Chuck Hagel — are virtually extinct.[...]

Today, thanks to the GOP, compromise has gone out the window in Washington. In the first two years of the Obama administration, nearly every presidential initiative met with vehement, rancorous and unanimous Republican opposition in the House and the Senate, followed by efforts to delegitimize the results and repeal the policies. The filibuster, once relegated to a handful of major national issues in a given Congress, became a routine weapon of obstruction, applied even to widely supported bills or presidential nominations. And Republicans in the Senate have abused the confirmation process to block any and every nominee to posts such as the head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, solely to keep laws that were legitimately enacted from being implemented.​

So, now that compromise has been mentioned, let's talk about that.

Most Americans want it...with a few exceptions. Who could that be?

Tea Party supporters were the most fervently opposed to compromise of any of the groups examined by Gallup. Forty-five percent of tea party supporters said that it is more important for political groups to stick to their beliefs, even if little gets done, while 31 percent responded in favor compromise.​

Buddy boy, you guys started that little dust up. And we finished it. The Union was preserved, for the betterment of all.

As far as the bloodshed that you keep wishing for, is that what Jesus is telling you to wish for? Who do you plan to shoot in the name of Christ?

Yeah the god bless my bomb bunch.
Some of those have always been around and they have always been wrong.

Last edited:

No, it doesn't mean the same thing. Saying "you don't get to drive the car" is not the same as saying "get to the back of the bus, n-word".

Oh, no. Now race gets dragged into it.

Never mind. End of conversation. I will not play that game.

Our biggest enemies are the Americans who have a vested interest in keeping us angry at each other and absolutely divided. Those whose "followers" buy into their simplistic absolutism, that "we" can never work with "them", that "we" must defeat "them". These people are creating an artificial egotism in their "followers" that is suffocating the very processes that made America great.

It's not a coincidence that America is sinking as these people are succeeding.

I heard the history of a colony north of the American colonies sometime in the late 17th century. (Not sure about the date.) The immediate food supply was running out and the climate was turning colder. Rather than relocate or change their living styles they became stricter in their religious customs. The history was told archaeologists not the people from the colony since every single member of the colony starved to death.

New Topics

Forum List

Back