We are living in the Confederacy.

Nuc

Jul 10, 2005
Sydney, Australia
All this talk about what would have happened if the Confederacy won is ridiculous because they did win. The Union states are now part of the Confederacy. Guys like Carter and Clinton wouldn't have won the Presidency if they weren't from the south. Bush wouldn't have won if the Yale boy wasn't perceived by enough people to have been from the South. Neither party can choose a presidential candidate from the north without having to "balance" the ticket by sticking a southerner on as VP. But it is conceivable for the ticket two have not one, but two southerners.

Then you get to language issues. Between rap (because even northern blacks have not lost the southern accent of the slaves) and the way Bush and Clinton speak southern English is prevalent throughout the country. Ouch! My ears hurt!

Now citizens of the Union states are going to see their taxes used to rebuild a peculiarly southern mess in the Gulf. It will be restored to its pre civil war state of beurocratic silliness.

Then music. White people want to isolate themselves so we have to see and hear a parade of boneheads (some of the most prominent from Canada!) running around playing the most overcommercialized crap which would make Hank Williams Sr. puke, and talking like Gomer Pyle. But that passes for country nowadays because people want "southern" culture.

The Confederacy won.

Nuc said:
All this talk about what would have happened if the Confederacy won is ridiculous because they did win. The Union states are now part of the Confederacy. Guys like Carter and Clinton wouldn't have won the Presidency if they weren't from the south. Bush wouldn't have won if the Yale boy wasn't perceived by enough people to have been from the South. Neither party can choose a presidential candidate from the north without having to "balance" the ticket by sticking a southerner on as VP. But it is conceivable for the ticket two have not one, but two southerners.

Then you get to language issues. Between rap (because even northern blacks have not lost the southern accent of the slaves) and the way Bush and Clinton speak southern English is prevalent throughout the country. Ouch! My ears hurt!

Now citizens of the Union states are going to see their taxes used to rebuild a peculiarly southern mess in the Gulf. It will be restored to its pre civil war state of beurocratic silliness.

Then music. White people want to isolate themselves so we have to see and hear a parade of boneheads (some of the most prominent from Canada!) running around playing the most overcommercialized crap which would make Hank Williams Sr. puke, and talking like Gomer Pyle. But that passes for country nowadays because people want "southern" culture.

The Confederacy won.

Too much Southern Comfort again , nuc? :D

but seriously you may have a point--"country" may be a uniquely white culture.

dilloduck said:
Too much Southern Comfort again , nuc? :D

but seriously you may have a point--"country" may be a uniquely white culture.

I think a lot of white folks gravitate towards so-called "country" music and heavy metal for racial reasons. Blacks might be trying to do that with rap, but white kids go for it too, who knows why.

Nuc said:
I think a lot of white folks gravitate towards so-called "country" music and heavy metal for racial reasons. Blacks might be trying to do that with rap, but white kids go for it too, who knows why.

White suburban kids flock to pop rap.

The ClayTaurus said:
So what he's saying isn't true?

I believe it's not true. I don't think people listen to country and rock for "racial reasons". Do you believe they do?

rtwngAvngr said:
I believe it's not true. I don't think people listen to country and rock for "racial reasons". Do you believe they do?

I think that not everyone does, but some do.

I think that others listen to it not because they are racist, but are just more comfortable with a yee-haw then a yo homie; you tend to like what you already know.

The ClayTaurus said:
I think that not everyone does, but some do.

I think that others listen to it not because they are racist, but are just more comfortable with a yee-haw then a yo homie; you tend to like what you already know.

How special you are to reduce both country and rap to mere racial stereotypes, when they both are so much more. You continually prove your subpar conceptual abilities.

Not to mention that rock has a heavy african american influence from it's birth in blues . So I can't imagine the "racial reason" for listening to rock. You're wack.

rtwngAvngr said:
How special you are to reduce both country and rap to mere racial stereotypes, when they both are so much more. You continually prove your subpar conceptual abilities.

Sigh. How special you are to take the words "some people" and read them as "every fucking person."

And I didn't reduce anything, the listenership of any genre of music doesn't define it's artistic merits.

The ClayTaurus said:
Sigh. How special you are to take the words "some people" and read them as "every fucking person."

And I didn't reduce anything, the listenership of any genre of music doesn't define it's artistic merits.

IS this like not liking Rush because of his listeners? You're such an elitist prick you don't even know it.

rtwngAvngr said:
Not to mention that rock has a heavy african american influence from it's birth in blues . So I can't imagine the "racial reason" for listening to rock. You're wack.

The thread said heavy metal. Not rock. And don't lecture me on the roots of music, you're wasting your breath...err words. You are right though, it's definitely amusing that neo-nazi bands use a form of music that was entirely developed by the people they hate.

rtwngAvngr said:
IS this like not liking Rush because of his listeners? You're such an elitist prick you don't even know it.

I knew it was coming. You couldn't resist. Attempted rush thread jack number 5.

The ClayTaurus said:
I knew it was coming. You couldn't resist. Attempted rush thread jack number 5.

I guess you saw you were using the same convoluted logic here as there. It's not precognitive ability. Don't get excited.

rtwngAvngr said:
I guess you saw you were using the same convoluted logic here as there. It's not precognitive ability. Don't get excited.

I never said I hated Rush or any kind of music because of who listened to it.

The ClayTaurus said:
The thread said heavy metal. Not rock. And don't lecture me on the roots of music, you're wasting your breath...err words. You are right though, it's definitely amusing that neo-nazi bands use a form of music that was entirely developed by the people they hate.

Any more gross and demeaning charicatures with which to label the listenership of entire genres of music?

rtwngAvngr said:
Any more gross and demeaning charicatures with which to label the listenership of entire genres of music?

Let's review:

I think some people listen to heavy metal and country for racial reasons. I don't think it's the majority of people, but I think some do.

I think others listen to country and heavy metal because they can relate to the lyrics better.

You somehow managed to twist it around into me hating heavy metal and country because of who listens to it, which is completely untrue.

Forum List

Back