"We are in a Recession"

The oil crunch in the early 70's was not caused by OPEC. It was caused the debasement of our currency.

Brian

I remember staglation in the economy in my country and I think it was international. I don't recall any debasement of the currency here but that doesn't mean it didn't happen of course. I was just bloody annoyed because I'd bought a new sports car (two-seater) and suddenly the price of fuel went up faster than I could drive that car!

I was sure that OPEC started playing silly buggers about then. Never mind, another example of feeble memory at work.

I would like to point out that the growth during those years was particularly artificial, and much of it can be attributed to the eventual credit crisis this country is NOW in. What horrible things are about to ensue in our economy in these next couple years are going to be the by-product of all that "growth" during the early part of this decade.

No, it's not completely Bush's fault, it's the Federal Reserve and congress as well, but Bush appointed Bernanke, who's probably the worst Fed chairman this country has ever had, and the irresponsible congress was basically in lockstep with everything Bush proposed fiscally. There was nary a disagreement with Bush in that congress in 6 years. His administration used fear and manipulation to get congress behind just about everything involving spending.

Nonsense. The current downturn has been fueled by three things, none of which Bush or his tax policies or Iraq spending has anything to do with. The collapse of grotesquely inflated housing prices and the ensuing loss of capital for additional secured loans, the default of already very risky loans on houses the buyers could never have afforded in any economy, and the explosion of commidity prices further stifling consumer spending.

This is much the same as the tech bust roughly 8-10 years ago. Clinton had nothing to do with that either.

About the only power any President has on the economy is who he appoints as Fed Chariman. I was never a fan of Greenspan either. The Fed has been idiotic for most of the past 5 years when they started raising interest rates due to inflation fears over energy price increases when all that did was gradually shut off the supply of cheap credit, exasperbating today's crunch. The the idiots let rates go into free-fall essentially crashing the dollar, which oil is price in, thus exasberbating the oil price shock we are seeing. And now, they complete the idiocy by pumping 200 billion into the credit market....which will tank the dollar even more making commidities go completely out of control.

Nonsense. The current downturn has been fueled by three things, none of which Bush or his tax policies or Iraq spending has anything to do with. The collapse of grotesquely inflated housing prices and the ensuing loss of capital for additional secured loans, the default of already very risky loans on houses the buyers could never have afforded in any economy, and the explosion of commidity prices further stifling consumer spending.

Please go and get yourself more educated on economics before you go and call anything anyone says "nonsense".

The housing problem, as far as the LENDING end is concerned, is the fault of the Fed and the banks. On the other end, it can also be attributed to the borrowers for not being more responsible when taking a mortgage. Many of those borrowers could have afforded the mortgage at the time of signing, but there are a few things which affected their abilities later on. One, the ARM's. They were very risky mortgages that obviously most people who are defaulting on didn't put NEARLY the amount of thought into that they should have. But then, most of those people were also pretty damn clueless as to how much runaway inflation was actually going to ensue, and it's not like our government or media is properly informing us on that.

The next problem lies in what you mentioned, the commodities prices skyrocketing, and STILL climbing. How you can say that can't be attributed to congress or the president is beyond me. It's almost as if you are saying that just to say it, hoping it's true.

Congress' spending has been on the brink of probably the most irresponsible in history in the last 8 years. The main difference between the dot-com bubble, and this housing bubble, is that we didn't see the runaway inflation back then, that we are seeing now. The republican-controlled congress was MUCH more fiscally responsible then, as fiscal conservatism still had it's place in politics. Consumers back then had an easier time purchasing what they needed most. I personally didn't feel the dot-com recession NEARLY as bad as I'm feeling this one. Congress' fiscal irresponsibility is what has devalued our Dollar to it's lowest point ever, and caused us this incredible inflation rate that we're in. All one need do is look at the price of gold. It's pretty telling, that the Fed would stop publishing their M3 data back in 2006, right about the time they STARTED their runaway money "creation".

They print the money that congress demands for spending. Or, we borrow more money from foreign nations, which in turn has put us into a record amount of debt internationally. Countries are losing faith in the Dollar, and that is largely attributed to Congress, Bush, and the Fed, pretty much equally.

About the only power any President has on the economy is who he appoints as Fed Chariman.

This is about as absurd an economic statement as you could make. The president doesn't have to sign any bill that is fiscally irresponsible. The fact that he has signed NUMEROUS spending bills, and has caused us a record budget deficit during one of the worst times to even be allowing one, speaks to the power he DOES have on the economy.
The out of control printing, borrowing, and spending that he has endorsed since being in office has DIRECTLY affected the value of our Dollar.

Feel free to argue that if you wish, but you'll be disagreeing with just about everyone who knows even BASIC macroeconomics.

These people probably weren't working hard enough to keep their jobs, the lazy bastards. It's still the fall out from the Clinton years.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080307/economy.html

If the only thing you know how to do is screw in bolts, glue things to other things, drive trucks, feed metal into a machine....well you know what happens when people stop buying things that require bolts, things that are glued together, and things that require whatever comes out of machines you have to feed metal into.....

Or worse yet...someone who can help you loose weight at a gym? When i can't afford to put gas in my tank you think I'm going to pay for a gym membership? As opposed to the person who is skilled at analyzing and improving business processes that save companies millions through enhanced efficiencies by incorporating better processes? who is going to be employed in tight times? how hard is is to learn the skill to tell someone to eat less and excersize more vs come up with a better process flow for business? One requires a two week training course, the other requires a masters degree and 20 years of business experience.

But if you have a really highly sought after, and vital SKILL, you are recession proof.... Imagine that.

Also, it is the right that gets "gleeful" when a Democratic administration is failing and the people are hurting, not the left.

What a bunch of crap. If we dare point out any deficiencies we are gleeful and unpatriotic. That crap worked with Hitler, it don't work here. Instead of attacking the left, come up with your solutions or prove the data wrong.

It's really a fucking waste of time to call names without offering solutions.

The solution is to just leave it all alone. The global economy simply works itself out. If people starve and die in the process....well people always starve and die...so what?

Please go and get yourself more educated on economics before you go and call anything anyone says "nonsense".

The housing problem, as far as the LENDING end is concerned, is the fault of the Fed and the banks. On the other end, it can also be attributed to the borrowers for not being more responsible when taking a mortgage. Many of those borrowers could have afforded the mortgage at the time of signing, but there are a few things which affected their abilities later on. One, the ARM's. They were very risky mortgages that obviously most people who are defaulting on didn't put NEARLY the amount of thought into that they should have. But then, most of those people were also pretty damn clueless as to how much runaway inflation was actually going to ensue, and it's not like our government or media is properly informing us on that.

The next problem lies in what you mentioned, the commodities prices skyrocketing, and STILL climbing. How you can say that can't be attributed to congress or the president is beyond me. It's almost as if you are saying that just to say it, hoping it's true.

Congress' spending has been on the brink of probably the most irresponsible in history in the last 8 years. The main difference between the dot-com bubble, and this housing bubble, is that we didn't see the runaway inflation back then, that we are seeing now. The republican-controlled congress was MUCH more fiscally responsible then, as fiscal conservatism still had it's place in politics. Consumers back then had an easier time purchasing what they needed most. I personally didn't feel the dot-com recession NEARLY as bad as I'm feeling this one. Congress' fiscal irresponsibility is what has devalued our Dollar to it's lowest point ever, and caused us this incredible inflation rate that we're in. All one need do is look at the price of gold. It's pretty telling, that the Fed would stop publishing their M3 data back in 2006, right about the time they STARTED their runaway money "creation".

They print the money that congress demands for spending. Or, we borrow more money from foreign nations, which in turn has put us into a record amount of debt internationally. Countries are losing faith in the Dollar, and that is largely attributed to Congress, Bush, and the Fed, pretty much equally.

This is about as absurd an economic statement as you could make. The president doesn't have to sign any bill that is fiscally irresponsible. The fact that he has signed NUMEROUS spending bills, and has caused us a record budget deficit during one of the worst times to even be allowing one, speaks to the power he DOES have on the economy.
The out of control printing, borrowing, and spending that he has endorsed since being in office has DIRECTLY affected the value of our Dollar.

Feel free to argue that if you wish, but you'll be disagreeing with just about everyone who knows even BASIC macroeconomics.

Neither the Congress nor the President has any real affect on the economy. It does as it does REGARDLESS of fiscal policy of any one government, even the US. this is the age of the GLOBAL economy. National borders in an economic sense disappeared long ago as national borders in political sense will eventually. The economy is larger than ANY one government and no politician can control it or even significantly influence it.

I don't think you can leave out the fact that pressure was put on the gov. and lending institutions to ease lending restrictions. the same sound lending principles ie; credit scores ,% of gross income for housing, loan to value,...etc that had to be abandonded to create a sub-prime market are the same reasons to go back and look at what failed. Bad borrowing risks are STILL just that. SHOCK AND AWE! True leaders wanting to advance their people would be better served selling the principles of sound borrowing but thats no fun. True leaders are like parents that do the right thing for their kids and NOT what THEY want.

I don't think you can leave out the fact that pressure was put on the gov. and lending institutions to ease lending restrictions. the same sound lending principles ie; credit scores ,% of gross income for housing, loan to value,...etc that had to be abandonded to create a sub-prime market are the same reasons to go back and look at what failed. Bad borrowing risks are STILL just that. SHOCK AND AWE! True leaders wanting to advance their people would be better served selling the principles of sound borrowing but thats no fun. True leaders are like parents that do the right thing for their kids and NOT what THEY want.

For the most part, Citi and Countrywide got what they had coming to them, as did the fools who used them to get loans they knew they couldn't afford. Economic fundamentals always force themselves back into power. They did so in the tech and .com boom of the late 1990's and they are again in the ridiculous speculative run up of housing prices in many areas fueled by greedy lending institutions that all came back to roost. All we have here is a segment of the economy jerking back to equilibrium with home prices moving back to their true level and lending institutions having to write off loans they should have never made and the borrows being tossed back to whatever housing they were in before, which is what they can really afford.

indeed , zoomie!!! natural business cycle. the scary part is the fed just bailed out its first big bank using some provision left over from the great depression. Hmmmm... what time does my bank close...

Allow me to embed that, so people can have an even easier way of watching it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTXEWh2yT_g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTXEWh2yT_g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Just a quick clip from CNBC, but right on the money.

The question you got to ask yourself is, why is the MSM holding back so much on reporting about the massive inflation?

The people have a right to know what's going on with the money.

I can't believe some of you in here actually SUPPORT this shit.

Forum List

Back