We are buying a house...finally!!!!

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
WE finally found a house and are supposed to close May 14th. I am terrified something will go wrong. I am so excited and at the same time totally nervous. I have been waiting a long time to see the kids playing in their own yard. Apartment life sucks when you have kids. I need reassurance.....anyone?

Krisy - don't go thinking about what COULD go wrong, think about your future living where you deserve to live.

Congratulations! I am sure all will be fine and you will be moving shortly!!!!!

Thanks guys....we have just had so much go wrong in our quest for a house! Everything has actually gone very smoothly up to this point,that is what worries me. It is fun though to sit around talking about being there. I cannot wait!!!!!! I will finally get my dog!:D I don't think the kitties will be too happy though.:p:

Getting a house is the single most stressful thing besides childbirth/child sicknesses. So, just relax and remember that it'll all be over soon. And then you get tax benefits!!!! And a yard!!!!

Like Mtnbkr said, it's a lot of work but WELL worth it. I don't think I could have decided to have my kid if it weren't for my house. I hate apartments.

Congrats and good luck!!!

I really cannot wait for the yard. As silly as it sounds,I don't want the pool in the back yard and Kevin does. We are having some "nice" discussions on that. I want the extra room and don't want the expense or upkeep. My main reason though is that we have a very active 3 year old and the neighborhood is FULL of children. It just makes me nervous. I know every kid in the nieghborhood will be at our house for a swim and I don't want to go there.

Kevin on the other hand is trying to get our 9 year old son on his side for the pool-very dirty!

I say,let"s get an inflatable one that we can take down anytime we want. I know my answer is the mosrt reasonable,don't ya think:D :D

Originally posted by krisy
I really cannot wait for the yard. As silly as it sounds,I don't want the pool in the back yard and Kevin does. We are having some "nice" discussions on that. I want the extra room and don't want the expense or upkeep. My main reason though is that we have a very active 3 year old and the neighborhood is FULL of children. It just makes me nervous. I know every kid in the nieghborhood will be at our house for a swim and I don't want to go there.

Kevin on the other hand is trying to get our 9 year old son on his side for the pool-very dirty!

I say,let"s get an inflatable one that we can take down anytime we want. I know my answer is the mosrt reasonable,don't ya think:D :D
I love the idea of having a pool. The reality, however, is a completely different story; the work, the very tall fence, the insurance costs and the dreaded fear of something happening.

I think I'm with you on that one. My husband's family had one of those above-ground things all his life...I don't know if they are the same in terms of insurance/fence/upkeep requirements but maybe that's a compromise.

My thoughts would be, "Honey, that community pool is gorgeous!"

Krisy, best of luck to you and enjoy it! The closing (and costs) suck, mortgage payments suck, heavy insurance sucks - but it's WELL worth it. The first thing I did was fence the yard in so my dog could run free, and it worked well since we had a son a year later too! You won't mind as much doing the repairs and such around the house either knowing your doing it for yourself and not something you're renting. Enjoy!

Congrats we are about to put this house up for sale and build...

I dread the move but it is worth it !! You will find that out !!

Thank you much everyone!!!!It will be worth it. Jim-we have an allready fenced in yard an I love it! Can't go any other way when you have kids.

Originally posted by JAMES UHLRICH
Congrats we are about to put this house up for sale and build...

I dread the move but it is worth it !! You will find that out !!

I am in this very same situation! :D

Congrats to you and James Newguy! I can't imagine the stress of that though. Good Lord,trying to sell and build at the same time,Good luck to the both of you.I suspect you'll be busy for a while.

Congrats to you and James Newguy! I can't imagine the stress of that though. Good Lord,trying to sell and build at the same time,Good luck to the both of you.I suspect you'll be busy for a while.

Busy? One Word: HUD

What do you mean? I know HUD is some kind of housing thing,but that is all I know.

Colerain,technically Groesbeck.It's only about half a mile fromwhere we live now. I like the schools and love the neighborhood,it's full of kids!

What do you mean? I know HUD is some kind of housing thing,but that is all I know.

HUD is Housing and Urban Developement. I'm not sure how they get homes, but mostly they are fixer uppers (big time). They sell cheap because you are gonna work, work, work.

We bought one and spent time remodeling. Paid 12K and sold for exactly what we had in it. Hence no capital gains.

Check out here http://www.hud.gov/homes/index.cfm

If you find one in the neighborhood of choice, it's an awesome thing. Good Luck

Originally posted by pegwinn
HUD is Housing and Urban Developement. I'm not sure how they get homes, but mostly they are fixer uppers (big time). They sell cheap because you are gonna work, work, work.

In fact, OURS is a HUD home. We bought ours because it was repo'd. The bank kept it for a couple years as the market was slumpsville for a while. Over the 2 years, it had homeless people in it that did drugs and broke out most of the windows. We got an FHA loan which they said couldn't be done since the standards were so strict. The reality is, it worked because the house was STRUCTURALLY in great shape.

We bought 3 years ago, and now will sell for almost 3x what we bought for. Since refinancing 1 1/2 years ago, we will only get 2x the refinance price. Still- It is a heck of a deal. What went into it? New sewer line replacement underground (40ft) and new Milgard windows all the way around for a total of about $15k. Add paint to a couple rooms, and that was it.

Not all HUD homes are big projects.

We bought one and spent time remodeling. Paid 12K and sold for exactly what we had in it. Hence no capital gains.

Capital gains is waived if you live in the house 2 out of 5 years you own it if it functions as your primary residence

HUD is a fantastic way to go.

WE finally found a house and are supposed to close May 14th. I am terrified something will go wrong. I am so excited and at the same time totally nervous. I have been waiting a long time to see the kids playing in their own yard. Apartment life sucks when you have kids. I need reassurance.....anyone?

Buying a home is a headache of paperwork and for most people it is a headache only ON PAPER. Once the process is done, you can have a bazillion write-offs if you do it right.

IT is also a piece of mind thing since rent won't go up and you can sell at a profit over the long haul.

Relax, this is the beginning of your life.
:D

Forum List

Back