We are becoming a nation of college-degreed numbskulls

And read your own post.

...yeah...I wrote it.
If you note - you can see the overpriced campus apts comment is in parenthesis.
Parenthesis are used to either clarify the subject sentence, or to set aside relative information about a particular item/passage in the sentence.
In this case ...tuition PLUS room and board...and aside from that many times the room and board is paid to colleges for overpriced apts...meaning of course another opportunity for profits off of taxpayers.

Glad I could clear that up for you, you seemed muddled.

I would say that you need a remedial English course to learn how to express yourself better, but it seems pretty obvious that you are just trying to recover from saying something stupid without thinking.

And what is stupid? That campus apartments are overpriced?
That or you are just a troll, picking out assumed fallacies in others post to piss on.
I take it the latter.

I would say that you need a remedial English course to learn how to express yourself better, but it seems pretty obvious that you are just trying to recover from saying something stupid without thinking.

Well, if I were to edit your post, it would show a great deal of lack of knowledge of correct and professional English usage.

I would say you need a remedial English course to better express yourself. But, it seems obvious you are trying to recover from saying something thoughtlessly stupid.

I've hired and subsequently fired a number of individuals with degree from 'great' universities that could not perform basic arithmetic and communication skills.

True story. I do not use a degree as a bar for hiring anymore. I require experience of progressive responsibility, along with a number of years doing so.

When I went to Kent State [1964-68], majors were limited to subjects that prepared students to enter a profession. Now this university, like others, offer ''party-school majors'' such as gay studies, women studies, pan-African studies, and integrated studies [for seniors who failed to choose and pursue a major]. When I was a supervisory attorney for a federal agency, I was astounded that members of my staff lacked basic writing skills [eg, use of the active voice, use of parallel construction] and had no idea of what I was explaining because they ''weren't English majors.'' One attorney, of sorts, had no clue about when the American Civil War occurred. [I did not hire them. I ''inherited'' them upon transfer.]

I believe student loans should be eliminated and replaced with outright grants to the best and brightest high school students who commit to pursuing careers in medicine, law, journalism, accounting, business administration, architecture, engineering, mathematics, sciences, social work, education, and other useful occupations. I know this view is elitist, but the student loan program is producing a nation of debtors with college degrees who cannot express themselves beyond a 140-character text or intelligently discuss any topic of history or science.

Many schools do maintain high academic standards; however, far too often, a school's reputation rests either on its athletic success or its easy curriculum qualifying it as a '''party school'' at the expense of wealthy parents or the taxpayers.

I invite your opinion and experiences.

I agree. A lot of those things should not be considered "majors." I don't believe student loans should be eliminated though. I think there should be stipulations on student loans.

I agree. A lot of those things should not be considered "majors." I don't believe student loans should be eliminated though. I think there should be stipulations on student loans.

I think student loans should be strictly limited to those fields where there is a need in this country. Medicine. Science. Engineers. And others needed to make our society work.

There is nothing wrong with securing a loan to pay college costs, as long as the thought process is rational. The problem is that 18-year-olds are often immature and irrational, and their parents either don't or won't force their offspring to think their choices through rationally.

People forget that The American Dream is NOT to get a college education and get a good job. That is Plan B. The American Dream is to start a new company and make it successful - which may or may not require any formal education.

Too often the decision to go to college is based on nothing more than a kid who is too immature to start his Adult Life, and wants to hang onto childhood for 4-5 more years.

It is not so many years ago that at age 13 male children had to choose between starting an apprenticeship, going to work at a scut job, working on the family farm, or, if they were really lucky, going off to the University.

ADOLESCENCE - a time of protracted childhood - is a relatively new invention, and it is now acceptable for "children" in their 20's and 30's to be completely dependent on their parental units. It's sad really, especially when you look at how many of them are college-educated.

I think student loans should be strictly limited to those fields where there is a need in this country. Medicine. Science. Engineers. And others needed to make our society work.

You know, you don't have to stop thinking after the first 1/1000000th of a second.

I don't know about all of that, but I agree that they shouldn't be able to choose "electives" (which is what a lot of those things SHOULD be considered - not majors) as a major. Are they stupid or something? Don't they do any research into the fastest growing fields in which they are most likely to find success? Basket weaving just doesn't seem like something that's going to help you to become very successful in life . . . a lot of the subjects are more like hobbies.

Forum List

Back