We are all going to die soon!

The 50s and early 60s were such superior times to live it is almost impossible to describe.

You had to live them.

<SNIP>
Two, at the fastest speed of anything we have built, and that is now the ancient Voyager 1, [...] drifting at coast velocity of some 82,000 MPH, it would reach the center of our galaxy in roughly 98.8 billion years and the Universe as we know it would have cycled again, 3 times over.
<SNIP>

Actually Robert, you need to check your math for the above statement:

The speed of Voyager-I at 82,000 mph is .00012246 (factorial) of the speed of light (or .012246 percent)

Ergo (your figure to the center of the galaxy) 39,000 LYs at velocity of .00012246 (light year speed) = 318.5 million years, (not roughly 98.8 billion years)

To put that into perspective the sun makes the trip not just to the center of the galaxy, but around its entire circular (circumferential distance) orbit of the galaxy, and does that in only 230-million years, and at a somewhat comparable non-relativistic rate of speed.

As you were saying; 98.8 billion years is a really really really long time

Last edited:
Oh I have no doubt that we are all going to die soon. I say give or take 100 years or so.

Manufacturer's warranty is 70 years, providing you don't abuse the product or deliberately break it.

But any thing over 70 is a blessing. Or a curse. But in most instances, 70 is all you get.

Forum List

Back