WBC Stalker Arrested

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
WICHITA, Kansas -- Veterans from across the country are reaching out to support a Kansas man charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated battery and other crimes against members of a controversial Topeka, Kan., church, saying they know what he has gone through since he lost his legs in Afghanistan.

Sheriff's officers say they stopped Newell on Tuesday when they noticed him following members of the church on their way back from Mulvane. Investigators say he initially told officers that he was protecting church members; later he said he was a reserve law enforcement officer.

Sheriff's officers say they found his vehicle backed into a spot in the City Hall parking lot while Westboro members were inside discussing safety concerns with Wichita police officials.

The weapons charges accuse Newell of unlawfully carrying and concealing or possessing with "intent to use" an M4 rifle, .45-caliber Glock handgun and .38-caliber Smith and Wesson handgun. Besides the weapons, Newell also had more than 90 rounds of ammunition in his vehicle, sources said.

Veterans support legless comrade jailed in stalking of church-picketing GI funerals | cleveland.com

It is not clear to me what basis they had for the arrest. Surely, just following church members in public is not stalking. If the weapons he had with him were illegal, why not arrest him for that?

Apparently, he's getting a great deal of support from veterans, and that seems understandable to me.

Your thoughts?

WICHITA, Kansas -- Veterans from across the country are reaching out to support a Kansas man charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated battery and other crimes against members of a controversial Topeka, Kan., church, saying they know what he has gone through since he lost his legs in Afghanistan.

Sheriff's officers say they stopped Newell on Tuesday when they noticed him following members of the church on their way back from Mulvane. Investigators say he initially told officers that he was protecting church members; later he said he was a reserve law enforcement officer.

Sheriff's officers say they found his vehicle backed into a spot in the City Hall parking lot while Westboro members were inside discussing safety concerns with Wichita police officials.

The weapons charges accuse Newell of unlawfully carrying and concealing or possessing with "intent to use" an M4 rifle, .45-caliber Glock handgun and .38-caliber Smith and Wesson handgun. Besides the weapons, Newell also had more than 90 rounds of ammunition in his vehicle, sources said.

Veterans support legless comrade jailed in stalking of church-picketing GI funerals | cleveland.com

It is not clear to me what basis they had for the arrest. Surely, just following church members in public is not stalking. If the weapons he had with him were illegal, why not arrest him for that?

Apparently, he's getting a great deal of support from veterans, and that seems understandable to me.

Your thoughts?

SO many mixed emotions, where do I start?
Okay, with the emotions. Fred Phelps and his family (most of them) are reprehensible. I'd half assed like the guy to get a decent shot off, at least at Fred.
AND to get away with it.
It would be a public service, and probably free at least some of his family members up for more productive and beneficial activities.
That said, but not nearly enough
There's the whole "rule of law" thing, and if the guy was stalking, its a crime.
I'd say ask George. He would know.

Stalking is much harder to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt whereas guns, knives, etc. are easier to prove - in other words, if the arresting officers had a bias in support of the vet, but had to uphold the law - charge him with something he's not as likely to be convicted on. Mission accomplished.

Forum List

Back