Wayne Huizenga wants to sell Dolphins before Barack Obama raises tax

The Paperboy

Times Square
Aug 26, 2008
Times Square
Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga said Sunday no date has been set for selling up to 45 percent more of the team to Stephen Ross, but the presidential election is among the issues weighing on his decision.

That's because a Barack Obama administration is expected to mean higher capital-gains taxes.

"He wants to double the capital gains tax, or almost double it," Huizenga said. "I'd rather give it to charity than to him."

Story here

My heart bleeds for him.

I love when people who barely make a living are worried about someone who's worried about capital gains taxes on someone who bought something for 550 million dollars

Don't y'all just cry for him?

Yes, I'm sure this move has nothing to do with the fact that the Dolphins suck and have sucked for a long time.

I was there for a game last year and 3/4 of the stadium was empty.

He's not making any money.

As a fins fan, I hope he sells away as much control and ownership of the team as possible.

It's been tough being a fan over the past decade. :D

Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga said Sunday no date has been set for selling up to 45 percent more of the team to Stephen Ross, but the presidential election is among the issues weighing on his decision.

That's because a Barack Obama administration is expected to mean higher capital-gains taxes.

"He wants to double the capital gains tax, or almost double it," Huizenga said. "I'd rather give it to charity than to him."

Story here

I'm nowhere near as rich as Wayne is, but increasing the capital gains tax from 20% to 25% is doubling? If his math is this bad, no wonder the Dolphins and the Marlins are doing so poorly.

I am a Bucs fan. This isn't a sports thread.

The point is this. Liberals and Democrats think your money is theirs to do with as they please.

It is not.

What Wayne is saying is that he'd rather sell now so he can keep more of HIS money instead of giving it to Obama, Pelosi and Reid to redistribute to people who pay NO Federal taxes.

That's the point.

I'm sure Wayne has already paid a hundred times more in Federal taxes than all the taxes paid combined by all posters on this board.

According to Obama and Biden that makes him a Patriot (not a Dolphin).

Story here

LOL, so even he admits Obama will be our next president!

Wayne is the perfect example of the lie of the Republican theory of trickle down economics. Having enjoyed a massive tax cut for the last eight years...Wayne did not lower prices to Dolphin games...in fact, just the opposite, ticket prices and concession prices AND parking prices have steadily risen. Wayne did what other CEOs did with their tax breaks...they put them in their pockets, layed off workers and gouged the public.

Wayne is the perfect example of the lie of the Republican theory of trickle down economics. Having enjoyed a massive tax cut for the last eight years...Wayne did not lower prices to Dolphin games...in fact, just the opposite, ticket prices and concession prices AND parking prices have steadily risen. Wayne did what other CEOs did with their tax breaks...they put them in their pockets, layed off workers and gouged the public.

Perhaps you might want to look at what happened to the salaries of the players over the past 8 years.

But look, you may be right or you may be wrong. However without having a whole lot more information you're simply guessing. You have no idea what other businesses he is involved in, what other jobs he may have created, what chairable donations he's made.

But if he choses to keep HIS money and raise prices of HIS business that is HIS right. This is a free country. But successful businessmen don't usually take actions that are destructive to their businesses.

Why people like you want to attack and bring down the achievers in our country who create businesses and jobs is beyond me.

Perhaps you might want to look at what happened to the salaries of the players over the past 8 years.

But look, you may be right or you may be wrong. However without having a whole lot more information you're simply guessing. You have no idea what other businesses he is involved in, what other jobs he may have created, what chairable donations he's made.

But if he choses to keep HIS money and raise prices of HIS business that is HIS right. This is a free country. But successful businessmen don't usually take actions that are destructive to their businesses.

Why people like you want to attack and bring down the achievers in our country who create businesses and jobs is beyond me.
Everyone in South Florida knows Wayne well, what businesses he's involved in, and that he is in everything for profit. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that...I'm just pointing out the idiotic lie of trickle down economics.

AMEN! he's a PERFECT example....of the greedy not letting it "TRICKLE DOWN" whereas those with less getting a tax break would DEFINATELY trickle up to the wealthy, with their purchases.

Everyone in South Florida knows Wayne well, what businesses he's involved in, and that he is in everything for profit. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that...I'm just pointing out the idiotic lie of trickle down economics.

So what you propose? A government mandate that limits how much profit he can make?

How much did he and his businesses give to charity last year?

How many jobs has he created through his businesses during his career?

How much has he and his businesses paid in taxes during his lifetime?

These are rhetorical questions but I'll bet the answer is 100 times more then then a combination of all the posters on this forum.

Why do we as a society want to beat up the achievers?

If he cheats, breaks the law, etc. throw him in jail. But other than that leave him alone. This is America, not Cuba.

What do I propose? That Republicans stop repeating the lie that tax cuts for the wealthy help the economy. The past eight years have proven this false.

I'm nowhere near as rich as Wayne is, but increasing the capital gains tax from 20% to 25% is doubling? If his math is this bad, no wonder the Dolphins and the Marlins are doing so poorly.

try 15% to 28%

BHO has said he wants to raise capital gains back to the Clinton era rates of 28%

Forum List

Back