Way to go Nebraska.

True, but as the Vice Commander of my local American legion it's good to see things like this. We sponsor a flag protection amendment every congress, and have come as close as one vote to having it passed.

So what do ya think of those PC laws liberals were pushing? What do you think of Hate Crime legislation?

What does PC BS and hate crimes have to do with it?

It shows the inconsistent nature of neo-conservative ideology.

These flag burning bills are feel good legislation proposed to build political capital

They will never withstand a court challenge

These flag burning bills are feel good legislation proposed to build political capital

After publicly burning an American flag as a means of political protest, Gregory Lee Johnson was convicted of desecrating a flag in violation of Texas law.

Texas v. Johnson

That was summarily overturned in a 5-4 decision by the SCOTUS.

Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989)[1], was a landmark decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that invalidated prohibitions on desecrating the American flag in force in 48 of the 50 states. Justice William Brennan wrote for a five-justice majority in holding that the defendant's act of flag burning was protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Johnson was represented by attorneys David D. Cole and William Kunstler.

Texas v. Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You linked the majority opinion. Guess you didn't bother to read the first paragraph, huh? Guess who supported Johnson?

Justices Marshall, Blackmun, Scalia, and Kennedy joined Brennan, with Kennedy also writing a concurrence.

Congress tried again, and was again struck down by the SCOTUS.

The Court's decision invalidated laws in force in 48 of the 50 states. Nearly two decades later, the issue remains controversial; recent polls suggest that a majority of Americans still support a ban on flag-burning.[7] Congress did, however, pass a statute, the 1989 Flag Protection Act, making it a federal crime to desecrate the flag. In the case of United States v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990)[8], that law was struck down by the same five person majority of justices as in Johnson (in an opinion also written by Justice Brennan). Since then, Congress has considered the Flag Desecration Amendment several times. The amendment usually passes the House of Representatives, but has always been defeated in the Senate. The most recent attempt occurred when S.J.Res.12[9] failed by one vote on June 27, 2006.

Last edited:

If the amendment as proposed by the American Legion passes it will be an Amendment to the Constitution. No court can touch it. Do try to keep up.

If the amendment as proposed by the American Legion passes it will be an Amendment to the Constitution. No court can touch it. Do try to keep up.

Good luck with that.

I would oppose any constitutional amendment that would attack the bill of rights.

Good luck with that.

I would oppose any constitutional amendment that would attack the bill of rights.

It has come within one vote of passing. We will get there.

Good luck with that.

I think you underestimate how hard it is to amend the constitution.

Amending the US Constitution – Methods For Amending the US Constitution

You were close to a proposal. A proposal has to be ratified.

Of the thousands of proposals that have been made to amend the Constitution, only 33 obtained the necessary two-thirds vote in Congress. Of those 33, only 27 amendments (including the Bill of Rights) have been ratified.

There is a reason that our constitution has only been amended 27 times in 250 years and the first ten amendments were almost automatic (and one of the amendments repealed an earlier amendment).

You'd be hard pressed, I would think, to pass an amendment that conflicted with the first amendment.

Last edited:
Good luck with that.

I think you underestimate how hard it is to amend the constitution.

Amending the US Constitution – Methods For Amending the US Constitution

There is a reason that our constitution has only been amended 27 times in 250 years and the first ten amendments were almost automatic (and one of the amendments repealed an earlier amendment).

You'd be hard pressed, I would think, to pass an amendment that conflicted with the first amendment.

I know how difficult it is, But when you consider that 47 states currently have flag protection laws, and the amendment has passed the house each of the last 6 congresses, and has come within one vote of passing in the senate... I think eventually it will pass, and I believe the states will ratify it. Remember that the American Legion is the largest Veterans Organization in the country. We do have a very good lobbyist department in Washington. Fact is I'm actually writing a resolution for the next national convention. (has nothing to do with the flag though)

I am a member of the American Legion and I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS...it smells very facist.

Good luck with that.

Really? One vote in one state?

Seems to me, you have no idea what it takes to make a Constitutional Amendment.

Doh... guess you were wrong.... what now retard?

As you well know, it did not stand up in courts.

As despicable as burning a flag is....it is free speech

And shows what a great nation we truly are

But you see? They don't want that...they want this nation to be petty and vindictive and JUST. LIKE. THE. SOVIET. UNION. in our flag policy.

I didn't know that any states had flag protection laws. It's a good thing.

No it isn't. Burning the flag is a protected freedom of expression under the First Amendment. You know which countries have really strict laws against flag burning? China, North Korea, Russia, Cuba. That should tell you something.

Once again, 47 States already have some form of Flag protection laws. It does not Make us anything like China or Russia or anyone else.

The Flag of the United States of America is a symbol of the freedoms which we cherish so much. IMO the desecration of that symbol is nothing more than trashing those freedoms.

But for now go right ahead and do as you will, but check your state laws first.

The point of the First Amendment is to protect unpopular speech and expression.

Your intent is noble.

You are nowhere close to an amendment.

But you see? They don't want that...they want this nation to be petty and vindictive and JUST. LIKE. THE. SOVIET. UNION. in our flag policy.

It reminds me of North Korea where you are imprisoned for criticizing Kim Jung Il. They look at him in the same way we look at our flag.

Forum List

Back