Way to go Nebraska.

Don't burn those American flags! (made in China)

Seriously though, it's not having laws on the book such as Ollie wants is what separates us from countries like Russia as it was previously brought up.

Neb. flag-desecration case may be tried in August

Associated Press - April 2, 2010 3:54 PM ET

PAPILLION, Neb. (AP) - Another Nebraska judge has refused to dismiss the flag-desecration charge against against a Kansas woman.

Douglas County Judge Joseph Caniglia was appointed to hear the Sarpy County case after two other judges were removed from the case. Caniglia refused Friday to throw out the case against Shirley Phelps-Roper on constitutional grounds.

Neb. flag-desecration case may be tried in August - KOAM TV 7 Joplin and Pittsburg News Weather Sports |

I didn't know that any states had flag protection laws. It's a good thing.

It is protected under free speech=freedom of expression.

I don't agree with it, but this what seperates us from places like China.

When that runs up against that 'free speech' thing, these sort of laws usually are found lacking.

The American Legion has found a sponsor in each of the past 6 congresses to introduce the Flag Amendment. If it should pass (and we have missed it by one vote in the Senate) it would go to the states for ratification. It would then be part of the Constitution.

I wonder which other States have some type of Flag protection laws?
IF such a unDemocratic thing should pass, maybe I'll make it a hobby to report anyone, any business, any organization who does not follow the Flag Code E X A C T L Y.

sarah-palin-runners-world.jpg

PAPILLION, Neb. (AP) - Another Nebraska judge has refused to dismiss the flag-desecration charge against against a Kansas woman.

Douglas County Judge Joseph Caniglia was appointed to hear the Sarpy County case after two other judges were removed from the case. Caniglia refused Friday to throw out the case against Shirley Phelps-Roper on constitutional grounds.

Neb. flag-desecration case may be tried in August - KOAM TV 7 Joplin and Pittsburg News Weather Sports |

I would never burn the flag.

However, if burning an American flag isn't protected speech under the first amendment, then I don't know what is.

The fact that the despicable Phelp's family in breeders were involved doesn't change this.

Actually I did some research out of curiosity.

Seems as though 47 states currently have some type of flag protection law.

firstamendmentcenter.org: Flag-burning in Speech - Topic

I believe we will get our Flag protection amendment. And for those of you who haven't caught on we are not talking about a law but an amendment to the constitution. With 47 states having flag protection laws I don't see a problem with state ratification, just getting the idiots to vote right in congress.

True, but as the Vice Commander of my local American legion it's good to see things like this. We sponsor a flag protection amendment every congress, and have come as close as one vote to having it passed.

So what do ya think of those PC laws liberals were pushing? What do you think of Hate Crime legislation?

No it isn't. Burning the flag is a protected freedom of expression under the First Amendment. You know which countries have really strict laws against flag burning? China, North Korea, Russia, Cuba. That should tell you something.

True, but as the Vice Commander of my local American legion it's good to see things like this. We sponsor a flag protection amendment every congress, and have come as close as one vote to having it passed.

So what do ya think of those PC laws liberals were pushing? What do you think of Hate Crime legislation?

Whatever Glenn Beck tells 'em to think.

The American Legion sponsored Flag Amendment:

"The Congress shall have power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States."

Nebraska's law bars intentionally "casting contempt or ridicule" upon an American flag

Then all the people that are driving around with flags on their cars that are in shreds must be arrested!

What does PC BS and hate crimes have to do with it?

No it isn't. Burning the flag is a protected freedom of expression under the First Amendment. You know which countries have really strict laws against flag burning? China, North Korea, Russia, Cuba. That should tell you something.

Once again, 47 States already have some form of Flag protection laws. It does not Make us anything like China or Russia or anyone else.

The Flag of the United States of America is a symbol of the freedoms which we cherish so much. IMO the desecration of that symbol is nothing more than trashing those freedoms.

But for now go right ahead and do as you will, but check your state laws first.

What does PC BS and hate crimes have to do with it?

They're laws that are based on people's emotions, kinda like flag-burning laws.

And you guys think the Healthcare Bill is unconstitional

Good Luck!

Actually, this sounds like something that would happen in Iran.

If this passes muster...there's an awful lot of people who will go to jail for wearing flag apparel.

Hey stupid, wearing the flag and stomping/standing on it are two very different things. What part of "desecrate" do you not understand?

The American Legion sponsored Flag Amendment:

"The Congress shall have power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States."

Nebraska's law bars intentionally "casting contempt or ridicule" upon an American flag

Then all the people that are driving around with flags on their cars that are in shreds must be arrested!

Hey stupid #2, what part of "intentionally casting contempt or ridicule" do you not understand?

Once again, 47 States already have some form of Flag protection laws. It does not Make us anything like China or Russia or anyone else.

The Flag of the United States of America is a symbol of the freedoms which we cherish so much. IMO the desecration of that symbol is nothing more than trashing those freedoms.

But for now go right ahead and do as you will, but check your state laws first.

Some day, some body is going to desecrate a flag in one of those 47 states, some prosecutor (who probably slept through law school) is going to be foolish enough to charge them, some lucky young lawyer is going to grab the case, take it to the Supreme Court, get a decision in about five minutes and be instantly famous.

Then the other 46 state laws will be struck down too.

Welcome to the Supremacy Clause. States can't take more freedoms than are granted by the constitution, and this is clearly a first amendment issue.

Simply because state legislators are silly enough to pass feel-good laws they know will never meet constitutional muster, doesn't change the inevitability of this.

Forum List

Back