Water does flow on Mars

I wonder if they just made it up to get funding to go there.

Is that all you think about? I guess exploration and knowledge isn't worth anything in your sad profit driven world.

Sad.

Even President Jefferson sent lewis and clark to the west coast and had the government pay for it.

The resources of space are limitless but profit shouldn't be the first thing we think about. When we get a solid foot hold in space will be able to get it.

Last edited:

Is that all you think about? I guess exploration and knowledge isn't worth anything in your sad profit driven world.

Sad.

Even President Jefferson sent lewis and clark to the west coast and had the government pay for it.

The resources of space are limitless but profit shouldn't be the first thing we think about. When we get a solid foot hold in space will be able to get it.
Profit wasn't on my radar. Jefferson would have sent robots if it would have been cheaper and going to Mars it would be MUCH cheaper. Robotics are getting better and better and don't need the life support system, more compact, no risk to human life or a rescue mission, etc.

The flip side to your argument is we do not have an unlimited amount of money and are in fact 19 trillion in debt and can't tax our way out. We need to be realistic. Besides, we have plenty of water here, we don't need to import Mars water.

Stay out of wars, stop infusing billions into the stock market and stop granting the rich tax cuts...Doing this will lower the debt. Not cutting infrastructure, science, r&d, education and exploration that never caused any of that.

Why shouldn't we explore mars??? It isn't the cause of our debt problems.

I mean sure it is dangerous but crossing the Atlantic was also. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

Stay out of wars, stop infusing billions into the stock market and stop granting the rich tax cuts...Doing this will lower the debt. Not cutting infrastructure, science, r&d, education and exploration that never caused any of that.

Why shouldn't we explore mars??? It isn't the cause of our debt problems.
The rich pay a higher tax as it is, they pay most of the tax collected. 9/11 proved burying your head in the sand is dangerous and stupid. Going to Mars isn't infrastructure unless you consider the solar system our borders.

I found the fact that water flows on Mars pretty interesting. As far as intelligent Alien life in other parts of outer space we don't know yet.

Last edited:
Granny says dat's prob'ly where he got the idea for the movie from...

Did NASA time its Mars announcement to coincide with 'The Martian'?
28 Sept.`15 - Space agency says no, but like life on Mars, the idea isn't so far-fetched
NASA's announcement confirming that it found evidence of water flowing on the surface Mars was celebrated by scientists searching for life in the universe — and by publicists at 20th Century Fox looking to promote "The Martian," the upcoming Ridley Scott film starring Matt Damon.

7dea3190-6638-11e5-acfd-510beadf3662_nasa-the-martian.jpg

Matt Damon is stranded on Mars — without planetary water — in "The Martian."

In the film, Damon plays Mark Watney, an astronaut who must survive alone on Mars after being left for dead by his crew during a fierce storm on the red planet. "With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive," reads the studio's description of the film, which is an adaptation of Andy Weir's 2011 novel of the same name.

According to a Yahoo News staffer who read the book, the long-suspected existence of water on Mars was not part of the planet's hostile environment. And the water found on Mars — a briny liquid perchlorate — isn't drinkable, NASA said. No matter. The marketing team running the verified Twitter feed for "The Martian" quickly capitalized on NASA's announcement. They even used NASA's press conference for a mashup "Martian" trailer. "The Martian" is due in theaters Friday.

MORE

See also:

The Martian Director Ridley Scott Says He Knew About Mars Water for Months
Ridley Scott had worked closely with NASA on the making of The Martian
NASA’s big announcement that liquid water exists on the surface of Mars — raising hopes of past or present life on the red planet — came at a perfect time for Fox’s sci-fi film The Martian. Too perfect, some might say. Within moments of the announcement, Twitter began lighting up with cynicism and sarcasm suggesting that the news was timed to generate more attention for both the film, which opens Friday, and NASA’s own explorations. On Monday, The Martian director Ridley Scott did nothing to dispel the notion that the space agency was waiting for the most opportune time to present its findings about water on Mars. “I knew that months ago,” Scott told Yahoo Movies.

the-martian-mars-in-movies.jpg

'The Martian', 2015

Scott worked closely with NASA on the making of The Martian, which is based on Andy Weir’s hard-sci-fi novel about an American astronaut (Matt Damon) who is stranded on Mars and uses his scientific know-how to survive. According to Scott, the topic of H2O on Mars came up during his discussions with the agency. “When I first talked to NASA, we got into all kinds of stuff and I said, ‘So I know you’ve got down there [these] massive glaciers,’” Scott said. “And he said, ‘Yeah, that the massive white thing [on the surface of Mars] that gets covered with dust, we think that’s ice.’ And I said, ‘Wow! Does that mean there was an ocean?’ Are we right now what Mars was 750 million years ago?’ And they went, ‘Uh, good question.’ So they want to go up there and find out.”

But Scott specified to the New York Times that he only learned about Martian water after the film went into production — sparing him from having to adjust the plot. “[Damon’s astronaut] would’ve found the edge of a glacier, definitely. It would be fascinating,” said Scott. “But then I would’ve lost a great sequence. He has to make water, and the steaming device, and put up the plastic tents, which creates the humidity, which grows the plants, which is the most basic form of irrigation.”

'The Martian' Director Says He Knew About Mars Water

I wonder how confusing this must be for book of genesis literalists

Sad.

Actually that isn't true. The universe has been burning bright for about 13 billion years and the scientific community just agreed recently that the universe has about ten billion years left. Eventually everything ends and nothing is limitless.

The only thing that is limitless is the multiverse. It is infinite. Like a lava lamp. We are just one bubble.

I found the fact that water flows on Mars pretty interesting. As far as intelligent Alien life in other parts of outer space we don't know yet.
Because we aren't smart enough to see that far to know. Plus the universe is huge. Take 700,000 years just to get to the closest star to our sun. And every star is that far away from the next star to them. The truth is so much better than ancient myths.

Forum List

Back