Watching the Budget

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
Seems that everybody is watching their budgets these days.
The finance sector
the retail sector
dining establishments,
auto dealerships,
In fact, pretty much every sector of the US economy is taking a good hard look at their budgets and trimming things, focusing on spending wisely except one.

STATE GOVERNMENTS

Seems that almost every state government is increasing it's spending/budget.
You think they are counting on the feds to bail them out?
It seems that the states think the Federal government is some sort of Rumpelstiltskin that can spin gold out of straw and rescue them.

They don't have a choice in many cases bat boy. It's called unfunded mandates handed down from the Feds to the states and when unemployment goes up so do the cost of a lot of those unfunded mandates.

They don't have a choice in many cases bat boy. It's called unfunded mandates handed down from the Feds to the states and when unemployment goes up so do the cost of a lot of those unfunded mandates.

Except most of what states spend tax dollars on are not mandates. Mostly it's what the state chooses to spend money on.

Teachers, Cops, lawyers, roads, bridges, government services, It is by the way when one gets to the last of those damn hard to sort out what is and what is not a government mandate. By the way it is likely that The teacher student ratio - al ong cherished shibboleth of the teachers unions - will be mandated by the feds by the end of Obama's first term.

Seems that everybody is watching their budgets these days.
The finance sector
the retail sector
dining establishments,
auto dealerships,
In fact, pretty much every sector of the US economy is taking a good hard look at their budgets and trimming things, focusing on spending wisely except one.

STATE GOVERNMENTS

Seems that almost every state government is increasing it's spending/budget.

They are? News to me

Maine budget cuts outlined

By The Associated Press, Bangor Daily News
View the original

AUGUSTA, Maine — Gov. John Baldacci is urging quick, bipartisan legislative action on a budget cut plan that reflects a revenue shortfall of more than $140 million.
Baldacci, who outlined his supplemental budget proposal for the current fiscal year on Tuesday, says it includes no new taxes, fees or fines. But it eliminates 94 positions, including 40 layoffs. Most of those layoffs are in the Corrections Department.
Baldacci says the cuts in state spending are due to the recession. He acknowledges that the cutbacks in state spending could have a ripple effect in the state.
The cuts continue nearly $80 million in curtailments the governor ordered last month.

They are? News to me

Maine budget cuts outlined

I said almost every state, not all.

South Carolina cut their budget to.

Although, in government-speak, you have to pay close attention to "cutting the budget'. Since most governments are automatically assumed to increase by 10% year to year, many states call a less than 10% increase a cut.

As I recall there are 30 some states that have a mandatory balanced budget. This means when revenues decline the budget must as well. To my mind this is a good thing.

Teachers, Cops, lawyers, roads, bridges, government services, It is by the way when one gets to the last of those damn hard to sort out what is and what is not a government mandate. By the way it is likely that The teacher student ratio - al ong cherished shibboleth of the teachers unions - will be mandated by the feds by the end of Obama's first term.

Interesting. I am a teacher, and my paycheck when DOWN on Jan. 5th (my first payday of the new year.)

How many college educated jobs are there where your salary goes DOWN every year? :confused:

Interesting. I am a teacher, and my paycheck when DOWN on Jan. 5th (my first payday of the new year.)

How many college educated jobs are there where your salary goes DOWN every year? :confused:

Oh, you said your paycheck went down,
did your gross pay go down, or just your net pay?

Forum List

Back