Watching Smerconish on CNN today, Bob Costas had an interesting idea re: protests

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
So, Costas knows the NFL well obviously. He made a point I think could make a difference to the backlash, and I'm wondering what you all think.

He suggested that all players should stand and respect the anthem, but a second after the final words of the anthem end, the player(s) take a knee in a sign of protest. They would then not be protesting the anthem, but would apparently be drawing attention to the issue of police brutality.

As I see it, if they had done this from the start, there wouldn't have been much attention drawn to the issue and noone would have been outraged, but since Colin K was sacrificed to make the point, and inherently cause the league harm, I disgress; they can now make similar points without actually kneeling in disrespect of the flag and anthem.

Just something I saw this morning that for me seemed to be a reasonable solution, even if I don't think it really is having an impact as some suggest it is. If anything, it's making the situation worse/

Thoughts?

So, Costas knows the NFL well obviously. He made a point I think could make a difference to the backlash, and I'm wondering what you all think.

He suggested that all players should stand and respect the anthem, but a second after the final words of the anthem end, the player(s) take a knee in a sign of protest. They would then not be protesting the anthem, but would apparently be drawing attention to the issue of police brutality.

As I see it, if they had done this from the start, there wouldn't have been much attention drawn to the issue and noone would have been outraged, but since Colin K was sacrificed to make the point, and inherently cause the league harm, I disgress; they can now make similar points without actually kneeling in disrespect of the flag and anthem.

Just something I saw this morning that for me seemed to be a reasonable solution, even if I don't think it really is having an impact as some suggest it is. If anything, it's making the situation worse/

Thoughts?

It's making people want to tell the overpaid players, and the NFL which is allowing it to GFY.

I'm going to get in on the ground floor of the next football league. ;)

There will be one, yannow.

Thoughts?

Yeah.
Number one, any gesture of 'protest' or social commentary, whatever one chooses to call it, would have been, and will be, met with resistance, and if it's in any way connected with the national anthem that resistance will try to hide behind it, using that fetish as a shield. And that's always dishonest.

Number two, while Colin Kaepernick was 'sacrificed to make the point', and that's a good way to phrase it, he didn't ' cause the league harm'. What did cause the league harm was the rah-rah jingoist robots just mentioned above in Number One, trying to hide behind that fake-patriotism shield. And then Rump self-servingly poured salt into that wound with his own psychological manipulation for the Unwashed.

So let's lay the blame where it is..... in chronological order, the Pentagon and Jingoist culture for inserting politics into sports in the first place; the Media for trying to milk a story out of what had been a single player's silent passive non-action; the mob mentality that fed the idea of hiding behind that fake paid-patriotism shield; and Dumbnail Rump for whipping it into a froth like a personal cappuccino machine*.

*"You don't sell products, benefits or solutions --- you sell FEELINGS" --- Rump Fraud University playbook

Thoughts?

It's making people want to tell the overpaid players, and the NFL which is allowing it to GFY.

That was tried once; it was called the USFL.

Rump fucked that up too. In effect did for the USFL what he did for Atlantic City.

Thoughts?

Rump fucked that up too. In effect did for the USFL what he did for Atlantic City.

Well, moving the schedule to fall was a bad idea.

Good read though, thanks for bringing that up!

How Donald Trump Destroyed a Football League

Protesting whatever during the National Anthem is Un-American.

I don't have much more to say about that.

Not at all -- protesting IS American .... if one reads the Constitution.

That document lays out the right of that protest right there in Amendment Number One. What that document does not lay out is any kind of idol-worship..... flags and national anthems, to name two.

Let's leave the uniform robotic behavior to those who aspire to that shit. North Korea.

Not at all -- protesting IS American .... if one reads the Constitution.

That document lays out the right of that protest right there in Amendment Number One. What that document does not lay out is any kind of idol-worship..... flags and national anthems, to name two.

Let's leave the uniform robotic behavior to those who aspire to that shit. North Korea.

Donkey Doody!

Thoughts?

Yeah.
Number one, any gesture of 'protest' or social commentary, whatever one chooses to call it, would have been, and will be, met with resistance, and if it's in any way connected with the national anthem that resistance will try to hide behind it, using that fetish as a shield. And that's always dishonest.

Number two, while Colin Kaepernick was 'sacrificed to make the point', and that's a good way to phrase it, he didn't ' cause the league harm'. What did cause the league harm was the rah-rah jingoist robots just mentioned above in Number One, trying to hide behind that fake-patriotism shield. And then Rump self-servingly poured salt into that wound with his own psychological manipulation for the Unwashed.

So let's lay the blame where it is..... in chronological order, the Pentagon and Jingoist culture for inserting politics into sports in the first place; the Media for trying to milk a story out of what had been a single player's silent passive non-action; the mob mentality that fed the idea of hiding behind that fake paid-patriotism shield; and Dumbnail Rump for whipping it into a froth like a personal cappuccino machine*.

*"You don't sell products, benefits or solutions --- you sell FEELINGS" --- Rump Fraud University playbook

You win the "Least Said Using the Most Words" award.

Pure nutball garbage.

If white players protested black brutality the cities would go up in flames. Black people are encouraged to beat up whites.

Thoughts?

Yeah.

Pure nutball garbage.

In other words you can't think of anything to argue with. Because I covered it all.

I get that a lot.

Thoughts?

Every player who leaves college early to play in the NFL owes a debt to trump. He got that started with the signing of Hershel Walker by the USFL NJ Generals.

Thoughts?

Yeah.

Pure nutball garbage.

In other words you can't think of anything to argue with. Because I covered it all.

I get that a lot.

Lol, whatever you have to tell yourself.

Thoughts?

Yeah.

Pure nutball garbage.

I get that a lot.

Lol, whatever you have to tell yourself.

Yeah that's usually the followup to having no answer too.

It's all here in the script. :deal:

Oh --- you didn't know I had a copy of that? :lol:

Thoughts?

Every player who leaves college early to play in the NFL owes a debt to trump. He got that started with the signing of Hershel Walker by the USFL NJ Generals.

How are those Generals doing these daze?

Oh wait, I remember. They moved to Atlantic City, metaphorically.
Arriving on the Rump Shuttle.

Thoughts?

How are those Generals doing these daze?

Oh wait, I remember. They moved to Atlantic City, metaphorically.
Arriving on the Rump Shuttle.
Thanks to the creation of the NJ Generals, who hired OU legend Chuck Fairbanks to be their coach, former OU QB, Thomas Lott, became the only player ever to play for all three OU coaching legends; Fairbanks, Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson.

Forum List

Back