Watching Mel Gibsons "The Patriot"

What did the slaves get out of fighting for the US ?
They got the start on the road of freedom, it is a long and hard road to travel and many people have traveled it.
Are you from Planet Earth ?
Of course he is! We have not discovered any other planets with lifeforms on them. What kind of stupid quest---, oh my bad, it's only tommy.
Its a legit question Mike. He is suggesting that fighting for your owners was a good thing. What a crock.
Some won their freedom, some didn't, as usual you take a microcosm and extrapolate about as far as you can stretch it simply to fit your "view".
No,I cant agree with you. The Civil War was a war for freedom, this was anything but. The balck slaves would have been better off fighting for the Brits.

Its the same as the two World wars. Why did blacks fight for the US ? To go home and get treated like shit ?

What have I missed ? I admit I am laughing a lot but..............................
Pretty much all of the movie which leads one to wonder if you even saw it at all or were simply watching while looking for something, anything to demean it and Americans therefore intentionally misinterpreting the whole gist of the movie, (the more likely scenario).
Oh and while the characters were primarily based on real persons the movie is an almost complete work of fiction.
Its a fantasy piece. A joke movie. There is a decent story to tell here and this isnt it.
What isn't it? :dunno:
Its history as comedy. Drums along the Mohawk is a good film on the subject. The Patriot isnt.
Fuck dud, it's Hollywood and Mel Gibson, only a complete idiot would think it's historical value is anything but comical.
Theres a character on here telling me that its a true story.

I didnt realise the the Revolution was fought to free the slaves from the evil Brits.
I cant understand why white supremacists dont make more of this fact.

Mr Gibson shows us how the Brits are violent animals who roused the slave population to fight against them.

Mels character reassures his slaves and encourages them to fight against an oppressive enemy of liberty . The same enemy of liberty who had guarenteed their freedom if they fought for the British.

America swftly made them free only a century later.
That movie was fact from start to finish taint, and another wonderful and true movie is L.A. Confidential. It shows cops in the 50's that were all racist murdering drunken criminals. All true, I swear. Watch and see so you can find out more about our history. Also it show a near 50 year old Kim Bassinger without saggy tits. That's real.
One could ask the same about the Irish.

They got the start on the road of freedom, it is a long and hard road to travel and many people have traveled it.
Are you from Planet Earth ?
Of course he is! We have not discovered any other planets with lifeforms on them. What kind of stupid quest---, oh my bad, it's only tommy.
Its a legit question Mike. He is suggesting that fighting for your owners was a good thing. What a crock.
Some won their freedom, some didn't, as usual you take a microcosm and extrapolate about as far as you can stretch it simply to fit your "view".
No,I cant agree with you. The Civil War was a war for freedom, this was anything but. The balck slaves would have been better off fighting for the Brits.

Its the same as the two World wars. Why did blacks fight for the US ? To go home and get treated like shit ?
Well, as usual, you (like the vast majority of people everywhere) view history with a modern sense of morality and concepts. Hell, even many historians do because they lack background in one important discipline, Cultural Anthropology. The culture in the American colonies and in England are no where near what they are today, understand that and you'll be able to answer your own questions.

Pretty much all of the movie which leads one to wonder if you even saw it at all or were simply watching while looking for something, anything to demean it and Americans therefore intentionally misinterpreting the whole gist of the movie, (the more likely scenario).
Oh and while the characters were primarily based on real persons the movie is an almost complete work of fiction.
Its a fantasy piece. A joke movie. There is a decent story to tell here and this isnt it.
Its history as comedy. Drums along the Mohawk is a good film on the subject. The Patriot isnt.
Fuck dud, it's Hollywood and Mel Gibson, only a complete idiot would think it's historical value is anything but comical.
Certain aspects are historically correct, places and some events, the rest is all entertainment with some propaganda tossed in.

Last edited:
Certain aspects are historically correct, places and some events, the rest is all entertainment with some propaganda tossed in.
Its fundamentally a lie. It glosses over the fact that for many Americans there was no freedom. Its a lie.

Its fundamentally a lie. It glosses over the fact that for many Americans there was no freedom. Its a lie.

Tell that to the Irish, the Indians, the Boers, and any other people that the UK subjugated in their long history, dude. My gosh but your myopia is astounding.

Oh no!!!! It's a lie!!! Should we then go over all Hollywood and BBC movies that had as least a slight propaganda message embedded in them? Or would that not fit your "Brits are good, Americans are hypocrites and liars paradigm"?

Tell that to the Irish, the Indians, the Boers, and any other people that the UK subjugated in their long history, dude. My gosh but your myopia is astounding.
Simpleton alert.
Where do I ever defend the British Empire ?
The fact is that in tthis instance they were less repulsive than the slavers spouting about freedom. (for whte folks )

Oh no!!!! It's a lie!!! Should we then go over all Hollywood and BBC movies that had as least a slight propaganda message embedded in them? Or would that not fit your "Brits are good, Americans are hypocrites and liars paradigm"?

Well this is one response -

That movie was fact from start to finish

So it is obvious that it resonates with alt right trash who are not over concerned about facts.

So it is obvious that it resonates with alt right trash who are not over concerned about facts.
Only obsessed people care about the alt-right, the rest of us either ignore or make fun of them.

I didnt realise the the Revolution was fought to free the slaves from the evil Brits.

Free them from Eel Pie and Offal

pri_50131368.jpg

Only obsessed people care about the alt-right, the rest of us either ignore or make fun of them.
Well they are here and glossing over US hypocrisy.

Well they are here and glossing over US hypocrisy.
What else is new? Hacks, regardless of which side they are on ALWAYS gloss over hypocrisy....... :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

Mr Gibson shows us how the Brits are violent animals who roused the slave population to fight against them.

Mels character reassures his slaves and encourages them to fight against an oppressive enemy of liberty . The same enemy of liberty who had guarenteed their freedom if they fought for the British.

That movie was fact from start to finish taint, and another wonderful and true movie is L.A. Confidential. It shows cops in the 50's that were all racist murdering drunken criminals. All true, I swear. Watch and see so you can find out more about our history. Also it show a near 50 year old Kim Bassinger without saggy tits. That's real.
The movie went out of it;s way to make Mel Gibsons character a modern liberal who was not racist. Obviously this was done to make it more palatable for modern movie goers because few people were so enlightened as his character 200 years ago.

The small part in the movie about slaves being offered manumission in exchange for service in the war was in fact accurate and not fictional however.

Gibsons character was very loosely based on Francis Marion also known as the swamp fox who did in fact run a guerrilla campaign against the brits from the south carolina swamps. I have no idea how Marion felt about slaves or slavery but it is knwon that he had a number of black men fighting with him. And that does not mean forced to fight with him because they were slaves.

The antagonist, Colonel Tavingten, is loosely based on a real Colonel Tarleton Who did serve in the south and commanded the green dragoons of the british army. Unlike gibsons character this one is a little closer to the real deal as Tarleton was in fact knbwon for being ruthless and brutal and he did in fact lead the british forces at the battle of cowpens and lost.

Of course Tarleton survived the war where as the fictional Tavingten was killed by Gibson.

The movie was of course fictional but as someone pointed out you seem to have gotten the wrong impression.

The bottom line is that the war was not fought to free the slaves.This film is just revisionist crap to appeal to fuckwits.

I wonder what black folks think about it ?

1295180.png

The movie went out of it;s way to make Mel Gibsons character a modern liberal who was not racist. Obviously this was done to make it more palatable for modern movie goers because few people were so enlightened as his character 200 years ago.

The small part in the movie about slaves being offered manumission in exchange for service in the war was in fact accurate and not fictional however.

Gibsons character was very loosely based on Francis Marion also known as the swamp fox who did in fact run a guerrilla campaign against the brits from the south carolina swamps. I have no idea how Marion felt about slaves or slavery but it is knwon that he had a number of black men fighting with him. And that does not mean forced to fight with him because they were slaves.

The antagonist, Colonel Tavingten, is loosely based on a real Colonel Tarleton Who did serve in the south and commanded the green dragoons of the british army. Unlike gibsons character this one is a little closer to the real deal as Tarleton was in fact knbwon for being ruthless and brutal and he did in fact lead the british forces at the battle of cowpens and lost.

Of course Tarleton survived the war where as the fictional Tavingten was killed by Gibson.

The movie was of course fictional but as someone pointed out you seem to have gotten the wrong impression.
Most of what we claim to know of Tarleton is myth, propagated by propaganda. He was not necessarily ruthless and brutal though he was vainglorious. The myth arises from the Battle of Waxhaws where it is still claimed he ordered his men to kill surrendering patriots. In truth early in the battle his horse was shot down and he pinned under it, his men though he was dead and took out their revenge, he was unable to prevent it. Granted his legion was fairly undisciplined and resulted in other atrocities at Monch's Corner and other smaller engagements and he was in command. Keep in mind his primary opponent was Francis Marion , the Swamp Fox who mainly used guerrilla tactics and were not seen as regulars but as bandits.

Top 10 Banastre Tarleton Myths - Journal of the American Revolution

Also Tarleton's Raiders was almost completely comprised of American loyalists, there was much hatred between the loyalists and the patriots.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back