Watching Chicago with joy

I would be lying if I didn’t say that seeing all these wonderful things being brought on by Liberal’s in Chicago is a complete joy. I mean really to see Liberal’s attacking Liberal’s and coming to a solution that will be a disaster in just a few months is absolutely wonderful. Really though they should just put the children in an isolated room with a computer and a notebook. They would probably have higher test scores than they have now. I mean the teachers argument is that it is not their responsibility to teach but rather the student’s responsibility to learn. If that is the case, then what will tax payers giving them more money do to improve the education of students? The answer is absolutely nothing.

I hear ya, but i do feel bad for the kids. They always pay the most. And of course the Taxpayers get screwed too. It really is shocking watching these Teachers demanding pay raises when the facts show they've done a miserable job of educating Chicago children. Their demands are unjustified. This is exactly why all Public Unions should be abolished.

Why feel bad for the kids?

It's their own parents putting them through this nonsense. Unless of course you think that none of those teachers have children.

Fact is, the teachers are greedy assholes that want more than they deserve. I say fire every damn one of them and hire some non-union teachers in their place. I'm sure at 70 grand a year they could find suitable replacements.

^^^This and the fact is it is even better than 70 grand a year counting their benefits and retirement. Also read the parent's comments in support of the teachers: News from The Associated Press

They won I mean the highest paid teachers in the country are going to get guaranteed raises from a city that is on the verge of bankruptcy. Really you couldn’t make this stuff up. As far as political fallout, with the right amount of denial there is no political fallout for anything especially when you live with blinders on that only shows Liberal points of view.

Well, there are a lot of sides to this argument. On one hand, the labor unions have to get used to the fact that their power is diminished. On the other, their lone weapon is this strike.

What the Teachers union did was go on strike when it hurt the public the most....not the way to get public opinion on your side.

I'm with the union for wanting things like air conditioned class rooms, a higher pay rate, etc... I'm not with them on wanting hiring privileges, to keep their state pension in line--phase it out over 10 years, the un-fire-ability plank (that is nuts).

What I was speaking of is the tactics--they were cartoonish. Also, the political fallout in the macro is non existent. Had this happened in Miami (your namesake), or a major city in a swing state...you could see some damage to the Obama campaign or the DNC in general. In Chicago...it won't matter at all.

Unions are what are actually destroying the educations system. The unions need to go away and we need to replace them with private non-unionized schools. Of course Chicago is already doing this slowly which is odd for a Liberal city. But I will give Chicago credit for doing so without a lot of noise about it. The people working in the tough neighborhoods need to be offered more pay to get better teachers that will take the risk working in that neighborhood. The teachers working in the easy neighborhoods don’t need as high of pay seeing everyone would be more than willing to work there. But unions eliminate the ability to do that. So you end up with the disasters that we have for education systems. Equality breeds complacency.

While I wouldn't use the word "destroy", it is hard to disagree with you. Moreover however I think we get the government we deserve; we value shortstops over teachers by building billion dollar stadiums that get used 8-20 days out of the year. As a governmental function and as a government employee, a teacher is given short shrift by We the People.

I can't blame them for unionizing and trying to "get theirs". However "getting theirs" has become protecting poor teachers, rejecting accountability, and demanding employement instead of earning it.

The highest reason that I like Ronald Reagan is the way he handled the air controllers' union.

There is absolutely no reason that ANY government employee should be in a union.
There is absolutely no reason that a teacher should be in any union.

Teaching should be considered a VOCATION, not a job. A teacher should consider his/her occupation as an instrument for the future, not as a vehicle for an undeservedly and obscenely high pension at tax-payers' expense. A "teacher" who counts hours does not count years in the future. A "teacher" who is not willing to give a little volunteer time is not willing to sacrifice for the kids and their future. A "teacher" whose salary is way higher than the salary or wages of those whose kids he/she "teaches" and still is unhappy, should try to find an other job.

I grew up with teachers who belonged to no unions, in the old country. I remember them, I cherish the memory of them and cherish the knowledge they taught me knowing that they never counted the hours, knowing that they taught me about values and standards and the fact that they did it without the promise that they would live better than the people who paid their salary and pension after they retired.

Just a question: How many dedicated teachers would vote to be in a union in a secret vote?

The teachers in Chicago are nothing more than Union thugs. They want more for doing less and have no good results to show for what they are already being paid. They are the highest paid teachers in the nation and produce the poorest results. Have you seen them on the news? I wouldn't want any of these people teaching my children anything.

The Chicago teachers are striking against a job evaluation.

Why??

If they have no confidence that they do a good job, their fear is is understandable.

I became a self-taught computer programmer in 1975. No university degree, hardly even a high school diploma.

Each year after I improved myself from a factory floor job, to a programmer, I had a job performance evaluation, competing against college graduates whose reports I was asked to proof-read and correct, me, an immigrant with an accent you could cut with a knife.

I always spoke for myself. (Even with my thick accent). Those who need a thug (and let's face it union organizers and union bosses ARE thugs) deserve nothing the thugs squeeze out the employers.

I had no help, there was no affirmative action for me, because I was only an AUDIBLE, but not a visible minority.

A Chicago teacher who walks the picket line is nothing but an insatiable greedy thug.

Lawyers for Chicago Public Schools were rebuffed today in their hopes of winning a temporary restraining order and immediately ending the teachers strike.

Judge Peter Flynn did not agree to hold a hearing on the matter today, instead scheduling one for 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. The judge questioned if the legal issues wouldn't be moot if the strike is over by then, according to Roderick Drew, a spokesman for the city's Law Department.

The Chicago Teacher Union's House of Delegates is to meet on the contract issue Tuesday. The union immediately condemned the move for a court order as an act of vindictiveness by a "bullying" mayor.

In its complaint seeking the order, CPS argued that the teachers union is prohibited by state law from striking over non-economic issues and that the strike is a clear and present danger to public health and safety.

It asked that CTU members be immediately ordered off the picket line and back into classrooms.

"State law expressly prohibits the CTU from striking over non-economic issues, such as layoff and recall policies, teacher evaluations, class sizes and the length of the school day and year," the motion states. "The CTU's repeated statements and recent advertising campaign have made clear that these are exactly the subjects over which the CTU is striking."

Breaking: Mayor goes to court to end Chicago teachers strike - chicagotribune.com

70% of Chicago students can't meet the standards and you're watching with joy? LOL. These teachers want more then 70k per year. WTF is going on in Chicago that would demand more then that?

Must agree with the OP. I, too, am gleefully watching this parade of pigs. I just love it when the true face of the American Left shows itself for all to see. That swamp donkey who heads the teachers union is a classic "give me an inch and I'll take a mile" Liberal.

70% of Chicago students can't meet the standards and you're watching with joy? LOL. These teachers want more then 70k per year. WTF is going on in Chicago that would demand more then that?

Must agree with the OP. I, too, am gleefully watching this parade of pigs. I just love it when the true face of the American Left shows itself for all to see. That swamp donkey who heads the teachers union is a classic "give me an inch and I'll take a mile" Liberal.

Not overjoyed about the students' situation, though.

What I cant figure out is why would anyone and I mean anyone WANT to go into a classroom full of american kids and all the problems they bring with them? Talk about an IMPOSSIBLE job. No way, not for me. Plus, consider the fact of making $70,000 tops and never getting past that. No matter how hard you work you stay at where you are at. No wonder why the best and brightest dont teach. Why would they? I wouldnt do that job for anything. That goes for any american school.

nanny government is falling down on the job.....:eek:

no breakfast or lunch for the kids.....liberals are STARVING our kids...!

no one there to watch them....money-grubbing liberals don't CARE....!

Forum List

Back