~Watch Them Die~

The topic of the Anthony case is so popular, as well as some other death penalty cases, I was curious to know, how many of you would watch another someone be put to death??
Be it by lethal injection, or gas chamber, electric chair, hell even a firing squad- if you were given the opportunity to watch, would you??

If the person harmed someone I loved, then I would enjoy watching them die. Actually, I would prefer to kill them myself. As for Casey, if she is guilty (which I believe that she is), I hope she gets the death penalty. No, I wouldn't want to watch it. Why? Either way, it would be a negative experience. ~BH

Absolutely if I had a personal interest (the executed criminal had harmed someone I care about).

I'd probably want to see an execution in person even for a case I had no connection to. I have had very little experience with death and have never seen a person die up close, I am curious what it would be like and how it would effect me.

I am not a death penalty advocate, but neither am I strongly opposed; it is the mechanics of it rather than the morality of killing someone that I dislike.

I once heard someone suggest (could be a well known theory, don't know) that we have capitol punishment all wrong. We should find a way to make the death purposeful. Such as building one man rocket ships with no return systems. We can shoot the condemned into the galaxies with no regard for human life. Meanwhile collect data and imagery from places we've yet to tread because it costs too much to build vehicles suitable for human travel.

I wanted to see how many others did. I asked, I got my answers.
And got mad when I gave an honest response.

Anyone who support the death penalty should bear witness to it, if not serve as an executioner.
Why, what purpose would that serve?
If I were not willing to kill an individual myself I would not be willing to watch someone else kill him.
The topic of the Anthony case is so popular, as well as some other death penalty cases, I was curious to know, how many of you would watch another someone be put to death??
Be it by lethal injection, or gas chamber, electric chair, hell even a firing squad- if you were given the opportunity to watch, would you??
If the person harmed someone I loved, then I would enjoy watching them die. Actually, I would prefer to kill them myself. As for Casey, if she is guilty (which I believe that she is), I hope she gets the death penalty. No, I wouldn't want to watch it. Why? Either way, it would be a negative experience. ~BH
I would not watch someone being put to death. I don’t see the purpose in it. Would you go visit a criminal in jail that harmed you? Why? I would have ZERO issue being the one that hit the button for an individual that the justice system has determined is not worthy of death but I have absolutely no interest in watching another person, no matter the circumstances, perish. It is a wast of my time, time that the individual is obviously not worth.

As a side note, what do you think would be worse for the pice of trash being executed: seeing the families of the people he harmed there to watch him die or going to give that final speech before being put to death and finding that no one bothered to show up.

Bottom line: the criminal that is being put to death is not worth my time, effort or attention.

I once heard someone suggest (could be a well known theory, don't know) that we have capitol punishment all wrong. We should find a way to make the death purposeful. Such as building one man rocket ships with no return systems. We can shoot the condemned into the galaxies with no regard for human life. Meanwhile collect data and imagery from places we've yet to tread because it costs too much to build vehicles suitable for human travel.
Then what is the point of putting him in there in the first place??

Now, COSMETICS testing, there’s another use. Save a pig, test a criminal…

Last edited:
I wanted to see how many others did. I asked, I got my answers.

Anyone who support the death penalty should bear witness to it, if not serve as an executioner.

The same thing as making Germans walk through the camps after the war.

If you can't bear to witness or take part, should you be advocating the killing of another human being? Do these people even understand what they advocate? Why can't they bear to witness it? Do their consciences tell them it is evil?

I can see your point and can somewhat agree but I have an issue with society being subject to the whims or random emotion. Should anyone that supports a war be on a battlefield or anyone that supported the manhunt for OBL have experienced an assassination? I would not want those important issues decided on pure emotion.

How many Americans "haven't" witnessed an execution? You can even google up the top ten from gunfire in Schindler's List to lethal injection in Dead Man Walking and hanging in Pierppoint and elecricution in Green Mile. We've seen it a thousand times. How many people have seen a full term infant turned in the birth canal so it is born feet first to avoid manslaughter charges? The baby struggles while the "technician" stabs it in the back of the head, inserts a tube and sucks it's brains into a frankenstein machine. How many people have ever seen a monstrous thing like that? It happened about a million times in the last couple of decades. Far more than executions of adults. Germans used the argument argument 70 years ago. It's different for Jews.

You DO understand the difference between movie violence and REAL death, right?

If you can't stand to watch, should you be advocating it?

Sure. There are a lot of nasty, distasteful things that I know are necessary, but don't particularly want to watch or do myself. Vaccinations, for example. I know my family and I need them, and I make sure we get them. But I have needlephobia, so I never watch. In fact, there are any number of medical procedures that I'm highly in favor of when they're needed, but would never, ever watch.

@ JB, well you are!
How can you ask me such a thing??--if you can't stand to watch, should you be advocating it??-

What the hell did you expect from me?? A medal??
So you can't bear to witness what you advocate?

Why? Is what you advocate wrong? Does it trouble your conscience?

Sometimes, it's just gross and troubles your stomach.

If your septic tank (assuming you have one) needs to be cleaned, do you do it yourself, or hire it out? Do you sit and watch the guy doing it? I look at executing heinous criminals as a septic clean-out for society. I've watched one, because it was personal, but I wouldn't want to make a regular practice out of it.

If you can't bear to witness or take part, should you be advocating the killing of another human being? Do these people even understand what they advocate? Why can't they bear to witness it? Do their consciences tell them it is evil?

I don't believe those Germans were advocating the camps. I think they were the ones busily denying that the horrors were being perpetrated.

I don't believe those Germans were advocating the camps. I think they were the ones busily denying that the horrors were being perpetrated.
Sure. Right. They heard his speeches, they saw the pogroms, they knew what he promised to do, and they had to notice everyone disappearing.

But they were nationalists- jingoists. He made the nation strong, revitalized the economy, and restored traditional family and cultural values. He was a vet and made the nation a military superpower.

So they loved him and were on board with anything that needed to be done in the name of reichland security and the gold of the nation.

It's an old story

Sure. Right. They heard his speeches, they saw the pogroms, they knew what he promised to do, and they had to notice everyone disappearing.

But they were nationalists- jingoists. He made the nation strong, revitalized the economy, and restored traditional family and cultural values. He was a vet and made the nation a military superpower.

So they loved him and were on board with anything that needed to be done in the name of reichland security and the gold of the nation.

It's an old story
A scary one to. It seems the people here would do the same as long as the economy was strong. I am saddened by the massive number of people that vote solely on the economy when the president is not always the driver that causes it.

It's an old story

And yet they DID still deny the reality of the camps, which was the point of making them walk through them.

On the other hand, I don't believe anyone who supports capital punishment is in any sort of denial as to exactly what that entails, whether they're disinclined to desensitize themselves or society in general by turning it into a spectator sport or not.

The death penalty is a spectator sport. That's the only purpose it serves- satiating the bloodlust of the mob and granting vengeance to the angry.

Granting vengeance (and closure) is one of its purposes, yes. But that's not all there is to it. Capital punishment provides, for starters, the very practical service of ensuring that that particular heinous criminal will NEVER commit crimes again, something that "life in prison" cannot entirely do. It also, believe it or not, serves the philosophical purpose of expressing the value and sanctity of human life. It says that there are some crimes, some degradations of life, that are so horrible, only the forfeit of the criminal's own life can ever possibly expiate it.

You don't have to agree with that particular sentiment, but if you don't believe that is capital punishment's purpose, ask yourself which society values the lives of humans beings more: Florida, which insisted that Ted Bundy had to die to pay for the lives he took, or California, which decided that Charles Manson should live to a ripe old age with three hots and a cot on the taxpayer's dime?

That, however, does not require us to devolve to the level of, for example, Merry Olde
England, which turned executions into grisly carnivals of extended torture and rapidly learned as a society to care so little for human life that they started levying the death penalty for crimes like robbery.

It also, believe it or not, serves the philosophical purpose of expressing the value and sanctity of human life. It says that there are some crimes, some degradations of life, that are so horrible, only the forfeit of the criminal's own life can ever possibly expiate it.[/quotes]

:jerkit:

Sounds like the bullshit story about it preventing future crimes. Compare the crime rate in Texas to those of non-death-penalty states.
You don't have to agree with that particular sentiment, but if you don't believe that is capital punishment's purpose, ask yourself which society values the lives of humans beings more: Florida, which insisted that Ted Bundy had to die to pay for the lives he took, or California, which decided that Charles Manson should live to a ripe old age with three hots and a cot on the taxpayer's dime?

So you're asking whether killing someone or not killing someone better preserves the sanctity of life :eusa_eh:

That, however, does not require us to devolve to the level of, for example, Merry Olde
England, which turned executions into grisly carnivals of extended torture and rapidly learned as a society to care so little for human life that they started levying the death penalty for crimes like robbery.

You might want to add that they gave up the death penalty a long time ago, adn the 'carnivals' you talk about were a long, long time ago, and no different from the 'carnival' of lynching black people for looking at a white girl. What is the more henious crime, robbing somebody or looking at a white girl?

It also, believe it or not, serves the philosophical purpose of expressing the value and sanctity of human life. It says that there are some crimes, some degradations of life, that are so horrible, only the forfeit of the criminal's own life can ever possibly expiate it.[/quotes]

:jerkit:

Sounds like the bullshit story about it preventing future crimes. Compare the crime rate in Texas to those of non-death-penalty states.

So you're asking whether killing someone or not killing someone better preserves the sanctity of life :eusa_eh:

I said "demonstrates". Perhaps you think your murder is only worth 20-to-life. I don't agree.

By the way, are you suggesting that the death penalty INCREASES the crime rate? I think I'd like to see some causation, rather than just what you think is correlation.

Forum List

Back