Watch Out For Those Mild Mannered Law Profs!

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_03_13-2005_03_19.shtml#1111021309

Here is what he is in an uproar about: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4353449.stm

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    I have spent some time considering this topic as it has come up in my line of work from time to time.

Here is my take:

In the old testament the punishment for certain crimes was harsh. I would dare say that this proved a deterrent to others.

In America's early history, some crimes were also treated harshly. I don't have the statistics, nor am I sure they would compare with today given the great increase in population and other factors, however, I believe that certain crimes were committed less than they are today. In fact, I will do some more research on it.

Also, putting someone in jail for life, to me, is pretty cruel, if you want to get technical. I know some people who would rather be put to death. Not to be caustic, but it would also save taxpayers a lot of money.

An example of a law that some think is harsh, is Oregon's measure 11. Basically it states that if you do X crime, you get Y time. No judge discretion, no first time allowance. I did the research, it even passed the constitutional mustard for violent acts committed by 16 years. The law was only recently passed, so I do not believe there is an adequate study to determine if the deterrent has worked, however, were I one of those people and knew that I no longer would get a slap on the wrist, I would think thrice about what I was doing.

Now I do not believe in savagery for punishments, rather, we could be a little more strict.

Interesting post.
    IMHO