Watch McCain Veer to the Right

And by the time McCain lost economic credibility with the campaign "suspension" stunt, on September 24 - he had already lost all his convention bounce and was already trailing by more (3.5) than he was before announcing Palin (2.9).

Sure, you can try to spin it otherwise, but those nasty facts just keep getting in the way.

The stunt that Palin effusively praised him for.

It was steadily downhill after that. But the notion that Palin helped him is just pure fantasy. The far right would LIKE to believe that pandering to them will cure all ills for the GOP, but in doing so the GOP loses the moderates.

If the GOP cannot win without moderates AND the far right, then they are in trouble. Because they can't figure out how to hold both.

It's funny how the Palin fans conveniently forget all the bullshit they spewed out after Palin was picked. Just randomly, shit like she was going to help McCain with the conservative base, she was going to help McCain with women, she was going to help McCain with the working class in the rust belt, blah blah.

It was all a pipe dream.

Top Gun was a great movie, but watching John "Maverick" McCain get shot down for the third time is a show I don't need to see.

It was steadily downhill after that. But the notion that Palin helped him is just pure fantasy. The far right would LIKE to believe that pandering to them will cure all ills for the GOP, but in doing so the GOP loses the moderates.

If the GOP cannot win without moderates AND the far right, then they are in trouble. Because they can't figure out how to hold both.

Youre quite correct. No politician is going to win elections by pandering to the right. You see the right isnt a bunch of stupid brain dead morons. We know when someone is being geniune and someone is pandering. We want someone who is geniune. We are not going to vote someone who pretends to be right and has ever intention of not doing so when they get elected.

And thats our problem. We dont have any geniune right leadership.

The stunt that Palin effusively praised him for.

It's funny how the Palin fans conveniently forget all the bullshit they spewed out after Palin was picked. Just randomly, shit like she was going to help McCain with the conservative base, she was going to help McCain with women, she was going to help McCain with the working class in the rust belt, blah blah.

It was all a pipe dream.

Well.... I guess beliveing in the pipe dream is one thing, but claiming it came true when it clearly didn't - well, that's just delusional.

Youre quite correct. No politician is going to win elections by pandering to the right. You see the right isnt a bunch of stupid brain dead morons. We know when someone is being geniune and someone is pandering. We want someone who is geniune. We are not going to vote someone who pretends to be right and has ever intention of not doing so when they get elected.

well .... you guys have settled for less in the past. But if you've suddenly decided enough is enough and you aren't going to vote for anyone who isn't as far right as you are, that's fine. More power to ya.

New polling shows John McCain may have a serious fight on his hands just to win the GOP nomination for Arizona Senator.

Look for McCain to make a point of veering hard right in the coming months so as to secure the nomination. His silly dance of moderation that he has been engaged in for years is not playing well to his own home crowd.

And also one must wonder how much influence Sarah Palin has had in the growing dissatisfaction Arizona conservatives have with Mr. McCain? My call - considerable.

Arizona Survey of 570 Likely Voters
November 18, 2009

Arizona Senate GOP Primary

John McCain
45%

J.D. Hayworth
43%

Chris Simcox
4%

Some other candidate
2%

Not sure
7%

Election 2010: Arizona Senate GOP Primary - Rasmussen Reports™

And you think Arizona conservatives just hate Sarah Palin because why?

As an Arizona conservative, I can tell you she's one of the pathetically few things that man has done in years that I HAVEN'T hated. If you want to know why we're pissed at him, look no further than the gleeful way he's been stabbing us in the back in order to suck up to leftists, moderates, and the media for years.

While I'm no big fan of Hayworth, he'd be a marked improvement over McQuisling.

Hell, a dem who knew what a principle was would.

I think McCain will end up being safe - this last Senate campaign is his legacy run, and he is already playing Mr Conservative of late, so will pinch off just enough conservatives to get the nomination - but it will prove yet another wake up call for politicians who have strayed too far from basic conservative principles.

I like Hayworth, even though sometimes over the top. At the same time, I think you're right. McCain gets another term and that will probably be good for GOP and AZ.

And how, precisely, is McCain good for AZ?

Please, if he wouldnt move to the right for the Presidential eleciton, he sure as heck isnt going to for His Senate Seat.

What he does is try to convince us all he was REALLY right all the time, and never moved left at all. Personally, I'm not that stupid, although I can't speak for other people in Arizona. I've been just WAITING for the chance to vote against that piece of shit.

Sarah Palin, had she been let loose, could have won the election for the Repub party, despite McCain's fuck ups.

Uhh, yeah. If you folks keep thinking that, you will find yourself out of power once again after the 2012 elections. Just look at the number of registered voters who feel she is not qualified to hold the office. At last check, I want to say that # was around 70%.

You a conservative? I don't think so. So please tell me what makes you imagine conservatives are desperate to hear from YOU about what appeals to THEM in elections?

Tell me, Miss Cleo. What am I thinking NOW, since you know so much about what I'm thinking in regards to elections? :cuckoo:

I wish McCain would just retire. He's symptomatic of all that's wrong with the Republican party today, and I'd love to get to kick him once in the gonads, just once, for FUCKING UP HIS OPPORTUNITY TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY.

I have to agree with this one. The moderate, country-before-party John McCain of 2000 could have won in 2008. But he spent eight years kissing bush booty. Letting the radicals shove Palin down his throat was the last straw.

Play make believe all you want - he was polling much better BEFORE Palin.

Oh, yeah. THAT was McCain's problem. He was too buddy-buddy with Bush. :cuckoo:

And I have to add, that no one is going to win a national election from a "genuine" far right position. Without moderates - no one can win at the national level.

As such, the big challenge for Democrats is to hold onto the gains into the center they made in 2006 and 2008. If they allow their agenda to creep too far to the left, they can lose the moderates as well.

I wish McCain would just retire. He's symptomatic of all that's wrong with the Republican party today, and I'd love to get to kick him once in the gonads, just once, for FUCKING UP HIS OPPORTUNITY TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY.

I have to agree with this one. The moderate, country-before-party John McCain of 2000 could have won in 2008. But he spent eight years kissing bush booty. Letting the radicals shove Palin down his throat was the last straw.

Play make believe all you want - he was polling much better BEFORE Palin.

Oh, yeah. THAT was McCain's problem. He was too buddy-buddy with Bush. :cuckoo:

yes, that was PART of his problem - voting in accord 96% of the time with a president who has an approval ratings in the 20s and low 30s was definitely a drag on McCain.

Conservative is not "far right" - just as traditional liberal is not "far left".

America remains a right of center country, which bodes well for conservative Republicans in the coming elections.

Present polling indicates such trending.

It ist he far left of the Democrat Party such as Pelosi and Reid, that are doing longer-term damage to the brand name....

Conservative is not "far right" - just as traditional liberal is not "far left".

America remains a right of center country, which bodes well for conservative Republicans in the coming elections.

It ist he far left of the Democrat Party such as Pelosi and Reid, that are doing longer-term damage to the brand name....

Right of what center?

Right of what center?

Is that why your far left? So you know where one edge is.

McCain ripped into the AARP today - or made a show of it.

His conservative street cred credentials are attempting a comeback.

He sure could use a Palin endorsement about now...:)

First of all speaking as someone who will vote in this election, my feelings are that J.D. Hayworth has a good thing going with his radio show here and will more than likely keep it. While John McCain won't have much trouble winning another term here, I'm sure it will be his last one and even Mr. Hayworth understands thats. Should J.D. Hayworth decide to challenge John McCain, here generally the voters stick with the man in office unless he is an Evan Mecham type then if your familier with Arizona politics you will know what happened to him. The good thing that has happened recently here is that we have finally gotten rid of our worthless Gov. it's just too bad the rest of the nation has to suffer under her rule as Homeland Security Director. You have to ask youself, how a person that directed the state to be dead last in education, and 3rd in the nation with a budget crisis, and one of the worst with border issues to be homeland security director. We here in Arizona call that lowering your standards.

I think you're right unless the Obama administration pushes the amnesty issue with McCain's support.

First of all speaking as someone who will vote in this election, my feelings are that J.D. Hayworth has a good thing going with his radio show here and will more than likely keep it. While John McCain won't have much trouble winning another term here, I'm sure it will be his last one and even Mr. Hayworth understands thats. Should J.D. Hayworth decide to challenge John McCain, here generally the voters stick with the man in office unless he is an Evan Mecham type then if your familier with Arizona politics you will know what happened to him. The good thing that has happened recently here is that we have finally gotten rid of our worthless Gov. it's just too bad the rest of the nation has to suffer under her rule as Homeland Security Director. You have to ask youself, how a person that directed the state to be dead last in education, and 3rd in the nation with a budget crisis, and one of the worst with border issues to be homeland security director. We here in Arizona call that lowering your standards.

I think you're right unless the Obama administration pushes the amnesty issue with McCain's support.

Given the employment situation here in Arizona at the moment which is not so good, but not as bad as other states, if Sen. McCain touched that topic it would not be helpful to any election chances here. Personally, I would like to see new people from our state in Senate for a change, as I have come to believe that these career political figures no matter the R or the D take your pick have little if any interest in the people they represent and won't ever have, until people start voting for the individual best suited for the job rather than this TEAM mentality that seems to have taken over our political process to the point where in a lot of cases people will reject someone who is clearly a better choice because they are on the wrong team.

Forum List

Back