Watch: Judge Sleeps Through Autistic Teen's Trial

Crackerjack

Too sick for a cure
Dec 6, 2011
Somalia

Submitted by Landon Bryce on Sat, 02/11/2012 - 17:01

Sleeping Special Education Judge Resigns under Fire: MyFoxHOUSTON.com

Larry Craddock has stepped down as a hearing officer after video showing him sleeping through the due process trial of autistic teenager Ryan Harvey was posted to YouTube:
In Texas, when the parents of special needs children disagree with the way their public school is educating their kid and efforts at compromise fail, there is often only one recourse to settle the dispute. It's called "Due Process", an educational court proceeding in which a state-appointed hearing officer listens to the issues and serves as judge and jury.

Larry Craddock was presiding at just such a hearing when he was captured on cell phone camera snoozing through testimony. Attorney Silver estimates Craddock slept through a quarter of the proceedings.

"We dropped water bottles. We tried coughing, we tried jumbling our books to help stir him awake, but it wasn't working," said parent Donna Harvey.

Parents who engage in a "due process hearing" often expend tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees fighting school districts with much deeper pockets.

[...]
[...]
At least they were able to capture Judge Rumpelstiltskin on tape:

[youtube]-e0_ztpdREY[/youtube]

[youtube]SLN5vhAsi1Y[/youtube]

The judge said it was the attorneys who were supposed to wake him up.

What a twat. I think it's about time he had his bar card revoked. That'll give him a chance to catch up on his sleep. :mad:

How embarassing. I once fell asleep during a deposition. They were reading medical records into the legal record. It was about the most boring, droning voice. "November 13, 4am, 3ccs of whatchamacallit. November 13, 8 am, 3ccs of whatchamacallit." After about two hours, of that dronining voice I just fell asleep. Which might not have been so bad, but I started snoring really loud.

No one ever let me forget it either.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos

Larry Craddock has stepped down as a hearing officer after video showing him sleeping through the due process trial of autistic teenager Ryan Harvey was posted to YouTube:
In Texas, when the parents of special needs children disagree with the way their public school is educating their kid and efforts at compromise fail, there is often only one recourse to settle the dispute. It's called "Due Process", an educational court proceeding in which a state-appointed hearing officer listens to the issues and serves as judge and jury.

Larry Craddock was presiding at just such a hearing when he was captured on cell phone camera snoozing through testimony. Attorney Silver estimates Craddock slept through a quarter of the proceedings.

"We dropped water bottles. We tried coughing, we tried jumbling our books to help stir him awake, but it wasn't working," said parent Donna Harvey.

Parents who engage in a "due process hearing" often expend tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees fighting school districts with much deeper pockets.

[...]
[...]

What a twat. I think it's about time he had his bar card revoked. That'll give him a chance to catch up on his sleep. :mad:

Would you believe judge Larry Craddock alleged in interview it was duty of attorney for child to awake him?

Larry Craddock has stepped down as a hearing officer after video showing him sleeping through the due process trial of autistic teenager Ryan Harvey was posted to YouTube:[...]

Would you believe judge Larry Craddock alleged in interview it was duty of attorney for child to awake him?

Rumplestiltskin spun straw into gold. Rip Van Winkle slept for 20 years.

Forum List

Back