Looking out at the front lawn, taken from the coffee-break room:
attachment.php

Reference:

http://www.komotv.com/stories/44982.htm

Attachments

• $watadareporters.jpg
    $watadareporters.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 121
All lieutenants are dumb asses...some take it to the extreme.

I take offense to that. My uncle was a lieutenant once, and he wasn't dumb by a long shot. But I dunno, maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was a seargent first (may have been corporal, but he did do a 2 year tour before college).

On the other hand, maybe he was an exception. He holds (last time I checked) the record for artillery drills on the older big guns that we don't use anymore (56 seconds to hitting the target, with a target time of 15 minutes) and was good enough to be stationed within spitting distance of East Germany.

I take offense to that. My uncle was a lieutenant once, and he wasn't dumb by a long shot. But I dunno, maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was a seargent first (may have been corporal, but he did do a 2 year tour before college).

On the other hand, maybe he was an exception. He holds (last time I checked) the record for artillery drills on the older big guns that we don't use anymore (56 seconds to hitting the target, with a target time of 15 minutes) and was good enough to be stationed within spitting distance of East Germany.

Old Army joke...no offense intended.

From the times you give, must have been the 8 inch guns...they were slow but left big smoking holes in the ground and pretty darn accurate too.

Old Army joke...no offense intended.

From the times you give, must have been the 8 inch guns...they were slow but left big smoking holes in the ground and pretty darn accurate too.

Yeah, and he was darn good at it, too. His crew managed to hit the target on the first shot, so he called the guy overseeing the drill and asked if they wanted him to shoot it again. They had already logged his time.

I liked the 8 inchers...called for fire with them many a time. 155mm are the biggest we have now. They are ok, but sure aren't like the 8 inchers.

If you were IN the army, you'd have known what he means is generally true. :) It's not disrespectful - Army Privates are all dumb-asses, too. Just is what it is :)

I guess I should have used more sarcasm. Stupid lack of voice toning over the internet! I don't really take offense to that, I just had to stick up for my uncle. He used to tell me all the stories of how many of the officers he worked with just didn't get it and never would becuase they'd never been enlisted and didn't take advice from those who were.

For example, at one base he was on, the enlisted didn't salute artillerymen because they were taught that artillerymen weren't real soldiers. A couple of people who didn't salute him told him such. Well, the guy he was with (also artillery) was about ready to chew him out, but my uncle told him to chill out, as they probably wouldn't care all that much. Instead, he got the name of the first seargent over them. Then, my uncle's friend want to chew that guy out for training them that way, but my uncle just told him to chill out and listen. He'd do the the talking. Well, he went into the guy's office and said, "I thought I'd bring it to your attention that some of your men don't think they have to salute artillerymen. Something about not being real soldiers. Now, I'm sure you had nothing to do with it, so I just thought I'd bring that to your attention."

For those who have never been in the military, that was a brilliant move. First seargents think they are in charge of everything. My uncle told him that he didn't have control over his own men, and in a polite enough way that the guy couldn't be mad at him. Needless to say, the problem was resolved.

I guess I should have used more sarcasm. Stupid lack of voice toning over the internet! I don't really take offense to that, I just had to stick up for my uncle. He used to tell me all the stories of how many of the officers he worked with just didn't get it and never would becuase they'd never been enlisted and didn't take advice from those who were.

For example, at one base he was on, the enlisted didn't salute artillerymen because they were taught that artillerymen weren't real soldiers. A couple of people who didn't salute him told him such. Well, the guy he was with (also artillery) was about ready to chew him out, but my uncle told him to chill out, as they probably wouldn't care all that much. Instead, he got the name of the first seargent over them. Then, my uncle's friend want to chew that guy out for training them that way, but my uncle just told him to chill out and listen. He'd do the the talking. Well, he went into the guy's office and said, "I thought I'd bring it to your attention that some of your men don't think they have to salute artillerymen. Something about not being real soldiers. Now, I'm sure you had nothing to do with it, so I just thought I'd bring that to your attention."

For those who have never been in the military, that was a brilliant move. First seargents think they are in charge of everything. My uncle told him that he didn't have control over his own men, and in a polite enough way that the guy couldn't be mad at him. Needless to say, the problem was resolved.

Heh...that indeed was a brilliant move on your uncle's part. Actually, I kind of like lieutenants...they are good for running errands and such.

All lieutenants are dumb asses...some take it to the extreme.

Not necessarily. I'm eligible to be a lieutenant (meaning, got enough time in grade as a chief master sergeant, just haven't been officially promoted yet) in the Civil Air Patrol. I'm not a dumbass now, I dont think I'll be then.

You really thould thtop generalithing....it makth me feel thad!!!!111!!1!1!

Not necessarily. I'm eligible to be a lieutenant (meaning, got enough time in grade as a chief master sergeant, just haven't been officially promoted yet) in the Civil Air Patrol. I'm not a dumbass now, I dont think I'll be then.

You really thould thtop generalithing....it makth me feel thad!!!!111!!1!1!

What they haven't told you, my young friend, is that all enlisted men who become officers get a lobotomy before they pin on the bars....

As for making you feel bad...that is the job of every senior NCO, regardless of service; make brand new officers feel bad!

Seriously, I have never heard of a senior NCO becoming a commissioned officer; of course, I have seen senior NCOs become Warrant Officers. I have seen junior NCOs become commissioned officers too. Warrant Officers are not dumbasses; Lieutenants are...it's one of the rules of the universe and cannot be changed.

What they haven't told you, my young friend, is that all enlisted men who become officers get a lobotomy before they pin on the bars....

Well that must be it then. In CAP they're circles :mm:

In CAP, becoming an officer is all part of ascending the ranks. All members began as Airman, worked their way through enlisted and NCO ranks, became officers, and assumed those ranks too, ending in Colonel.

Forum List

Back