Wassup with the avatar upload?

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I've tried several times to upload a new avatar; the first half dozen or so times the system told me "Invalid File". After a while I did get a picture to upload to the upload page -- it shows up there-- but does not show up on the board. It's accompanied by an "upload failed" message, but remains on my profile editing page. Yet the original avatar never changes....

:dunno:

Last week I did a photo attachment, and that loaded just fine.

Anyone else getting this or is it just me?
It's a new laptop with Windows 8. :death: I suspect that's involved, as this never happened before.

Last edited:
Not windows 8 could be pic size. That happened with my current av I had to resize the photo

Not windows 8 could be pic size. That happened with my current av I had to resize the photo

agreed.... most likely the pic you are uploading is to large and you need to size it down.

250x250 is about as big as it will allow.

Pic sizes (I've tried about 10) are all between 8 kb and 35 kb, so that's well within the site limits. And they're all JPGs. I've tried loading from a different browser (Chrome instead of Opera) but still get the same result.

agreed.... most likely the pic you are uploading is to large and you need to size it down.

I guess I don't understand the difference between file size in kb and "250 x 250" but I opened one up, it was over 250 so I sized it down, but still same result.

I guess I don't understand the difference between file size in kb and "250 x 250" but I opened one up, it was over 250 so I sized it down, but still same result.

try a bit smaller..... 200x200... and see if that goes.

OK, resized to 200 x 156 but still same result :(

ok....

the pic is on your computer

you go to your user cp...and go to edit avatar..
you browse the files, find your pic and hit open....
then you hit save...

yes?

ok....

then you hit save...

yes?

Right, that part seems to go fine. The new pic even shows up in the edit box as if it loaded. When I hit "save changes" I get the "upload failed" message. Several others have mentioned they too get the "failed" message but their upload goes up anyway. Mine doesn't. If you went to my profile right now you should see a different pic from what's on the board, if you see the same thing I see.

Last edited:

ok....

then you hit save...

yes?

Right, that part seems to go fine. The new pic even shows up in the edit box as if it loaded. When I hit "save changes" I get the "upload failed" message. Several others have mentioned they too get the "failed" message but their upload goes up anyway. Mine doesn't. If you went to my profile right now you should see a different pic from what's on the board, if you see the same thing I see.

question...

what are you trying to upload? And...are you sure you putting it in the right "avatar box"

are you editing the "avatar" which shows out here on the forum.. or the "profile picture" which shows up on your profile?

ok....

then you hit save...

yes?

question...

what are you trying to upload? And...are you sure you putting it in the right "avatar box"

are you editing the "avatar" which shows out here on the forum.. or the "profile picture" which shows up on your profile?

:clap2:

I am your humble servant forever.

I didn't know "profile picture" and "avatar" were different things. Now I'm really confused, but at least not about file uploads. Thank you.

What the hell is a profile picture if it's not an avatar?

question...

I didn't know "profile picture" and "avatar" were different things. Now I'm really confused, but at least not about file uploads. Thank you.

:eusa_angel:

they are both "avatars" ...but appear in different places. It is easier to call them different things.... for purposes of separation. "profile picture" denotes its in your profile :)

question...

:eusa_angel:

they are both "avatars" ...but appear in different places. It is easier to call them different things.... for purposes of separation. "profile picture" denotes its in your profile :)

Thanks, I guess it never occurred to me that I'd want to load a pic that nobody sees :confused:

So when I found I was loading the wrong box I went back to an older unreduced pic, and it went right in without a hitch.

:lol:

250x250 is for contributing members. I believe peons get 150 square.

My edit box sez "175 by 175 pixels or 195.3 KB (whichever is smaller)".

But that one I loaded is over 250 x 250 :eusa_shhh:

It's just like getting free cable. Except I don't have to watch TV.

I've tried several times to upload a new avatar; the first half dozen or so times the system told me "Invalid File". After a while I did get a picture to upload to the upload page -- it shows up there-- but does not show up on the board. It's accompanied by an "upload failed" message, but remains on my profile editing page. Yet the original avatar never changes....

:dunno:

Last week I did a photo attachment, and that loaded just fine.

Anyone else getting this or is it just me?
It's a new laptop with Windows 8. :death: I suspect that's involved, as this never happened before.

I got it when I tried to change my profile picture. I finally was able to load one, a different one. It could be the picture was too big.

Forum List

Back