Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mujahadeen (Afghanistan)

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
The US has had some staggeringly evil alies over the years. Which do you think is worst?

Are there any of these alliances which are justifiable, either then or now?

I'd say not myself - all reflected badly on the US, and did nothing to instill democratic values abroad.

It's also interesting to note how many of these governments were favoured by Reagan - a man who seems to have been more than happy to be friends with any tinpot dictator.

I think Washington's worst ally was Benedict Arnold
images

Have you ever been to Saigon?

Yes, of course.

And if you are suggesting the various Saigon administrations the US supported there were their worst ever ally - that isn't a bad choice! Many of them were utterly hapless.

Nah I wasn't suggesting all them words of yours. I was going to ask iff you miss Saigon. Miss Saigon is a popular stage play.

Have you ever been to Saigon?

Yes, of course.

And if you are suggesting the various Saigon administrations the US supported there were their worst ever ally - that isn't a bad choice! Many of them were utterly hapless.

Nah I wasn't suggesting all them words of yours. I was going to ask iff you miss Saigon. Miss Saigon is a popular stage play.

Ah, ok!

I wouldn't say I 'miss' Saigon - it's a fairly shitty, noisy city. But Viet Nam is stunning, just a wonderful country, and amazing people.

The US has had some staggeringly evil alies over the years. Which do you think is worst?

I'd say not myself - all reflected badly on the US, and did nothing to instill democratic values abroad.

It's also interesting to note how many of these governments were favoured by Reagan - a man who seems to have been more than happy to be friends with any tinpot dictator.

The USSR does not even make the list?

lol

Israel is expensive and manipulative, and does occasionally indulge in some fairly nasty behaviour, but at the same it is hardly a fascist dictatorship a la Pinochet, Doe or Mobutu.

Expensive? The amount we give them Directly and Spend indirectly on them, Amounts to about the same as we spend every couple days on our own Government. 2 or 3 days tops lol.

Charles -

I did consider it, but the USSR was never really an American ally, was it?

The US backed the USSR war effort only for a short time, and for a very specific purpose, but even then it was clear there was no love lost in that relationship.

Reagan actually praised people like Mobutu Sese for being a great friend to the US - at the same time Mobutu was raping the country and stealing everything in sight. We didn't see Roosevelt praising Stalin too often.

Israel is expensive and manipulative, and does occasionally indulge in some fairly nasty behaviour, but at the same it is hardly a fascist dictatorship a la Pinochet, Doe or Mobutu.

Expensive? The amount we give them Directly and Spend indirectly on them, Amounts to about the same as we spend every couple days on our own Government. 2 or 3 days tops lol.

The difference being that the US is your own government. Israel is not.

At a time when the US needs to reduce spending, personally I'd be looking to cut some trillions off the amount lavished on Israel, and I say that as a firm supporter of Israel. Israel is not a poor country, and should be able to manage on its own.

The Democrat Party.

Stalin (The Soviet Union)

This came up earlier, but I don't think we can really call the US and USSR "allies" in the traditional sense.

The US only helped Stalin in order to defeat Stalin, but clearly did so through clenched teeth. Roosevelt talked often and openly about how much he loathed communism, and I believe him.

On the other hand, we've seen Reagan, Carter and Nixon all praise complete fascist dictators, host them at the White House, and talk about them as best buddies.

You know Nixon once praised Mobutu Sese for balancing the budget?

Forum List

Back