Washington State privatizes liquor

Great! Aside from collecting the taxes on liquor, the state doesn't need to be in the liquor business.

Thats the thing, liquor prices never went up that much when alcohol taxes went up in the state. Plus you didn't have to pay sales tax on it. Can't tax yourself. ;)

Read the new law. In most cases only stores with over 10,000 sq ft can sell it now.

Okay, I misunderstood it. I thought it was allowing stores over that, not prohibiting stores less than that. Okay, I have to say this is really stupid. It's one thing to privatize. Probably a very good thing. But why in the Hell demand that only big businesses can sell liquor? Absolutely asinine.

I just saw one of the news station's facebook page that Costco raised $22 million dollars to pass the new law.
I just hope that now it is privatized, people can't fight to have small businesses to sell it. If it is going to private, let's not screw the little guy.
I do feel bad for my ex's dad, he has worked and been the manager of the liquor stores by my house for over twenty years. He is out of job now.
Also there is the small town stores that are not state ran but have contracts with the state. We have a few around here. They will also most likely have to close.

In Ca. there was enough to go around for the big boys and the mini-markets. That was never an issue. I imagine that everyone that want it will have their piece of pie.

So, you're in favor of squashing small business?

Did I say that?

I found Inthemiddle's remark confusing...I didn't know where he got that from.

Go read the article, and listen to what Luissa is explaining. There is a minimum size requirement of 10,000 sq. ft. for stores. There's alot of small businesses that are much smaller than that that are now going to be unable to legally run their businesses. They are being shut down so that Costco can profit instead.

Did I say that?

Go read the article, and listen to what Luissa is explaining. There is a minimum size requirement of 10,000 sq. ft. for stores. There's alot of small businesses that are much smaller than that that are now going to be unable to legally run their businesses. They are being shut down so that Costco can profit instead.

It says stores 10,000 and over AND mini marts. Anyhoo... it passed with 60% of the vote.

I also said some mini marts will be able to sell it, but it doesn't sound like many. I need to read the complete law to see how many can and where. I guessing probably mini marts in rural areas.
Other than that, it is only stores that have 10,000 plus square ft.

Michigan's a bit weird. If I understand it correctly, the state sets beer/liquor prices but only the minimum amount that can be charged (assume they want to protect state liquor taxes?). You can buy in a whole variety of different types of stores, and they are free to set their prices above the state minimum if they so choose.

Also, Costco and Sam's must allow non-members into their stores to make purchases, but they aren't allowed to buy other goods those stores offer.

I did just read on Facebook that 900 people who work at state ran stores will not have jobs anymore.

Limiting those outlets that can sell liquor to stores of 10,000 or more square feet, with limited exceptions (Section 103)
Citizens' Guide to Initiative 1183: To End Washington's Liquor Store Monopoly | Washington Policy Center

I don't have time to read it all, I need to take a shower, but some liquor store sites might be able to reopen has a private seller depending on the location. Someone else can read it and figure out exactly what it says. :D

I do like how it might raise $200 million in revenue within the next few years due to a certain fee retailers have to pay and the auctioning off of stores and supply. Washington state needs more revenue, maybe we can stop cutting some important areas of the government.

Michigan's a bit weird. If I understand it correctly, the state sets beer/liquor prices but only the minimum amount that can be charged (assume they want to protect state liquor taxes?). You can buy in a whole variety of different types of stores, and they are free to set their prices above the state minimum if they so choose.

Also, Costco and Sam's must allow non-members into their stores to make purchases, but they aren't allowed to buy other goods those stores offer.

I wonder how that will work here... Grocery stores will also be able to sell liquor. I wonder how many square ft the grocery store is by my house???:lol:

I actually hardly ever buy liquor, but I don't want to have to go far to buy it. There is liquor store in the shopping center by my house.

The new york system is pretty good, a bit wierd, but good.

Anyone can sell beer. Supermarkets, delis, grocery stores. Getting a beer liscence is easy

Selling liqour requires a seperate liscence, that actually PROHIBITS you from selling beer. Also the person owning the liscence has to live a certain distance from the store, and can only own a certain amount of stores. This basically assures small, locally owned, liqour stores.

I'll drink to that.

But measures to legalize and tax marijuana in The Evergreen State keep getting punked.

Last one didn't even get enough sigs to get on the ballot.

It says stores 10,000 and over AND mini marts. Anyhoo... it passed with 60% of the vote.

And some mini marts... The ads would also disagree with you. There big push was it would not be available at gas stations etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7vwqxq9IZA]I-1183: The Truth behind the Ads - YouTube[/ame]

Like I said, mini marts in small communities are the only ones who will be allowed to sell liquor. In cities like where I live only grocery stores etc bigger than 10,000 square ft will be allowed to sell liquor. The gas stations and mini marts will not be allowed to.

It will be cheaper............. maybe. Plus it can go up when taxes on alcohol go up.

I am fine with not all gas stations selling liquor, but it doesn't leave much room for a small business to open and sell liquor. I would be fine with smoke shops that are not open all night long selling liquor.

Virginia considered the same thing but couldn't get it past the big government democrat majority in the senate. Now that republicans won the majority the senate (yesterday) and there is a republican majority in the house of delegates the initiative might go through. What's the point of the state running a small business? It goes back to the old blue laws. If they privatize the sale of liquor they can still regulate it and tax it and they don't have to worry about renting and maintainin g stores and inventory not to mention pay sales paople.

Forum List

Back