Washington State privatizes liquor

Interesting. On the surface it appears to be a win for free enterprise. Y'all need to push for a very open and transparent licensing process.

Washington State may yet loose its reputation among the drunks as a very expensive place to buy a bottle.

Really?
I do know when beer prices go up liquor prices stayed mostly the same. You pay the same price you did three years ago.

Oregon did this years ago. It solved a host of problems. The OLCC stores were a nest of corruption, and I remember the huge scandal that caused Oregon to privatize.

In Oregon it has led to better compliance on liquor sales to minors issues to have the privatized.

And of course there was the freaky result that even though taxes were raised, prices sank.

Read the new law. In most cases only stores with over 10,000 sq ft can sell it now.

Okay, I misunderstood it. I thought it was allowing stores over that, not prohibiting stores less than that. Okay, I have to say this is really stupid. It's one thing to privatize. Probably a very good thing. But why in the Hell demand that only big businesses can sell liquor? Absolutely asinine.

This is screwing small businesses, and is another win for corporations.
Washington State Voters Approve Law To Privatize Liquor Sales - Election HQ News Story - KXLY Spokane

Janell and Cal Farrer contract out with the state and have run a liquor store for four years in Liberty Lake. They're upset Costco was able to back another privatize initiative after the last two failed in the state.
"It really irritates me that Costco is allowed to just keep coming at us, coming at us until finally they win and then they're going to put all of these people all of us, me included, going to be in the unemployment line," Cal Farrer said.

Now that I-1183 is officially passed by 60-percent of the vote you will in the months to come see alcohol on the shelves of Costco and other stores over 10,000 square feet.

"Additionally, we know that Washington has one of the nation’s highest ‘no sales to minors’ compliance rates at 95 percent – compared to the private sector, which has a 76 percent compliance rate. "

It states some mini marts will be able to sell alcohol, I wonder how that will be decided?

I wasn't a big fan of privatizing it, but we are going to do it, at least not screw small business.

The state never should have been involved in the first place.

sure costco will be selling booze, but now everyone else will be able to do so, w/o jumping through the states hoops.

It sounds like they spent a lot of time, effort and money trying to find the worst possible way to do this, and succeeded.

Oregon did this years ago. It solved a host of problems. The OLCC stores were a nest of corruption, and I remember the huge scandal that caused Oregon to privatize.

In Oregon it has led to better compliance on liquor sales to minors issues to have the privatized.

And of course there was the freaky result that even though taxes were raised, prices sank.

Washington state has a 95% rate of not selling liquor to minors, one of the highest in the country. ;)

Read the new law. In most cases only stores with over 10,000 sq ft can sell it now.

Okay, I misunderstood it. I thought it was allowing stores over that, not prohibiting stores less than that. Okay, I have to say this is really stupid. It's one thing to privatize. Probably a very good thing. But why in the Hell demand that only big businesses can sell liquor? Absolutely asinine.

I just saw one of the news station's facebook page that Costco raised $22 million dollars to pass the new law.
I just hope that now it is privatized, people can't fight to have small businesses to sell it. If it is going to private, let's not screw the little guy.
I do feel bad for my ex's dad, he has worked and been the manager of the liquor stores by my house for over twenty years. He is out of job now.
Also there is the small town stores that are not state ran but have contracts with the state. We have a few around here. They will also most likely have to close.

Great! Aside from collecting the taxes on liquor, the state doesn't need to be in the liquor business.

I hope Idaho takes a lesson from the Wa. voters.
I want to be able to go to a grocery store and be able to purchase my hooch. It'll create some competition in the pricing, also.

Here in my area, you can by liquor 24/7 anywhere from gas stations to drive through liquor stores and bars are open 24/7 for the most part.

Forum List

Back