Washington Post Pulls "Where's Muhammed?" Cartoon

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
An award-winning cartoonist is seeing red after editors at The Washington Post and other newspapers pulled a "very tame" cartoon that alluded to the Prophet Muhammad.

Wiley Miller, whose "Non Sequitur" comic strip has won several national awards and appears daily in roughly 800 newspapers, said he was not surprised by the decision to yank the single-panel, "Where's Muhammad?"cartoon because even the word itself is such a "dicey thing" nowadays.

The cartoon, which was originally submitted in August and had been scheduled to appear in newspapers nationwide on Oct. 3, depicts a lively, seek-and-find-esque park scene complete with a giraffe, a skateboarder, a cyclist, frolicking children and a large hippopotamus. An accompanying caption reads: "Picture Book Title Voted Least Likely to Ever Find a Publisher … Where's Muhammad?"

Miller, 59, of Maine, said the cartoon was intended to be a satirical reference to the global furor that followed the 2006 decision by a Danish newspaper to solicit depictions of Muhammad.

Ned Martel, the newspaper's Style editor, said he decided to yank the cartoon after conferring with others, including Executive Editor Marcus Brauchli, because it "seemed a deliberate provocation without a clear message."

Cartoonist Seeing Red After 'Muhammad' Cartoon Yanked - FoxNews.com

cartoonmillerwashpo.gif

Sounds like the Post is full of a bunch of bedwetting, Islamophobic pussies to me. :eusa_whistle:

Ned Martel from Washington Post: "a deliberate provocation without a clear message."

Agree with that.

Ned Martel from Washington Post: "a deliberate provocation without a clear message."

Agree with that.
Where IS Muhammed in that cartoon?

Damn, you get offended at the slightest thing.

Idiot.

An award-winning cartoonist is seeing red after editors at The Washington Post and other newspapers pulled a "very tame" cartoon that alluded to the Prophet Muhammad.

Wiley Miller, whose "Non Sequitur" comic strip has won several national awards and appears daily in roughly 800 newspapers, said he was not surprised by the decision to yank the single-panel, "Where's Muhammad?"cartoon because even the word itself is such a "dicey thing" nowadays.

The cartoon, which was originally submitted in August and had been scheduled to appear in newspapers nationwide on Oct. 3, depicts a lively, seek-and-find-esque park scene complete with a giraffe, a skateboarder, a cyclist, frolicking children and a large hippopotamus. An accompanying caption reads: "Picture Book Title Voted Least Likely to Ever Find a Publisher … Where's Muhammad?"

Miller, 59, of Maine, said the cartoon was intended to be a satirical reference to the global furor that followed the 2006 decision by a Danish newspaper to solicit depictions of Muhammad.

Ned Martel, the newspaper's Style editor, said he decided to yank the cartoon after conferring with others, including Executive Editor Marcus Brauchli, because it "seemed a deliberate provocation without a clear message."

Cartoonist Seeing Red After 'Muhammad' Cartoon Yanked - FoxNews.com

cartoonmillerwashpo.gif

Sounds like the Post is full of a bunch of bedwetting, Islamophobic pussies to me. :eusa_whistle:
The irony of this cartoon being pulled is amazing.

I did not say I am offended. What I said was, that I agree with the reason the WP-guys refused to publish the Cartoon.

chanel said:
Of course you would. Why do Muslims not understand satire?
That is a picture a 10 year old child could draw, and an adult just adds the word Muhammad on it. Totally unrelated to each other. Where is the satire in this? There is no logic in that cartoon.

Yes, Chanel, why do Muslims not understand satire?

Washington Post editorial board also does not get the satire.
Explain me in your own words, where the satire is in that cartoon.
Maybe you'll convince me.

I did not say I am offended. What I said was, that I agree with the reason the WP-guys refused to publish the Cartoon.

chanel said:
That is a picture a 10 year old child could draw, and an adult just adds the word Muhammad on it. Totally unrelated to each other. Where is the satire in this? There is no logic in that cartoon.

Freedom of speech, learn it, love it, support it.
No fatwas over the piss Christ
Piss Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or the feces Virgin Mary
Feces virgin mary - Google Search

Can you say hypocrisy?
How about double standard?
No spin, just be honest.

That's actually a pretty funny cartoon. Shame it got pulled. Or that any cartoon concerning Muhammad gets pulled.

chanel said:

Sure there is, it's intolerance:

2wc2ue9.png

No, like Yale and others, the WaPo editors really believe that some of your fellow travelers mean what they say. It's called fear and appeasement.

Two reasons.

First, it's based off the Where's Waldo books. If you're not familiar with them, it's a series of books where each page shows a crowded social scene, and the reader is supposed to find a skinny emo guy in a red-white-stripped shirt hiding somewhere in the scene. I used to have all of them, and found him on every page. :D

So the satire here is that, since Muhammed can never been shown, the reader would spend their time looking for something that's not even on the page.

Second, like Annie pointed out, is the subtitle of a publisher never printing this kind of book... for two reasons. The first reason is the one above; it would amount to a practical joke on the readers. And the second reason is because almost anything that could possibly be construed as not praising an invisible Mo' would attract death threats from some psychopathic Muslims.

Not as funny if you have to explain it, though. :doubt:

Forum List

Back