Washington Post On Palin Scandal

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
Great update on this! Read it while you can Before the Conservatives that run this board deleat it or move it to some place no one will look!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wa...s/2008/08/exclusive_chief_fired_by_palin.html

Exclusive: Chief Fired by Palin Speaks Out
The July firing of Alaska Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan by Gov. Sarah Palin, who was announced as John McCain's running mate on Friday, has unearthed a stream of soap-opera-like details about Palin, her husband, her family and top state appointees. The controversy has also cut against Palin's reputation for holding an ethical line and standing up to colleagues in the Republican Party over matters of principle.

Monegan, 57, a respected former chief of the Anchorage Police Department, said in an interview with The Washington Post's James V. Grimaldi on Friday that the governor repeatedly brought up the topic of her ex-brother-in-law, Michael Wooten, after Monegan became the state's commissioner of public safety in December 2006. Palin's husband, Todd, met with Monegan and presented a dossier of information about Wooten, who was going through a bitter custody battle with Palin's sister, Molly. Monegan also said Sarah Palin sent him e-mails on the subject, but Monegan declined to disclose them, saying he planned to give them to a legislative investigator looking into the matter.

Palin initially denied that she or anyone in her administration had ever pressured Monegan to fire the trooper, but this summer acknowledged more than a half a dozen contacts over the matter, including one phone call from a Palin administration official to a state police lieutenant. The call was recorded and was released by Palin's office this month. Todd Palin told a television reporter in Alaska that he did meet with Monegan, but said he was just "informing" Monegan about the issue, not exerting pressure.

"She never directly asked me to fire him," Monegan said.

But he said Todd Palin told him Wooten "shouldn't be a trooper. I've tried to explain to him, you can't head hunt like this. What you need to do is back off, because if the trooper does make a mistake, and it is a terminable offense, it can look like political interference.

Great update on this! Read it while you can Before the Conservatives that run this board deleat it or move it to some place no one will look!

Exclusive: Chief Fired by Palin Speaks Out - Washington Post Investigations

The July firing of Alaska Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan by Gov. Sarah Palin, who was announced as John McCain's running mate on Friday, has unearthed a stream of soap-opera-like details about Palin, her husband, her family and top state appointees. The controversy has also cut against Palin's reputation for holding an ethical line and standing up to colleagues in the Republican Party over matters of principle.

Monegan, 57, a respected former chief of the Anchorage Police Department, said in an interview with The Washington Post's James V. Grimaldi on Friday that the governor repeatedly brought up the topic of her ex-brother-in-law, Michael Wooten, after Monegan became the state's commissioner of public safety in December 2006. Palin's husband, Todd, met with Monegan and presented a dossier of information about Wooten, who was going through a bitter custody battle with Palin's sister, Molly. Monegan also said Sarah Palin sent him e-mails on the subject, but Monegan declined to disclose them, saying he planned to give them to a legislative investigator looking into the matter.

Palin initially denied that she or anyone in her administration had ever pressured Monegan to fire the trooper, but this summer acknowledged more than a half a dozen contacts over the matter, including one phone call from a Palin administration official to a state police lieutenant. The call was recorded and was released by Palin's office this month. Todd Palin told a television reporter in Alaska that he did meet with Monegan, but said he was just "informing" Monegan about the issue, not exerting pressure.

But he said Todd Palin told him Wooten "shouldn't be a trooper. I've tried to explain to him, you can't head hunt like this. What you need to do is back off, because if the trooper does make a mistake, and it is a terminable offense, it can look like political interference.

:cuckoo: damn boy--you're NUTS !

That article says absolutely nothing new, except that "'She never directly asked me to fire him,' Monegan said."

So, all it did was make Palin look better.

Now stop posting the same thing over and over and post in the thread designated for Palin.

That article says absolutely nothing new, except that "'She never directly asked me to fire him,' Monegan said."

So, all it did was make Palin look better.

Now stop posting the same thing over and over and post in the thread designated for Palin.

He can't--needs- new -input. Number 5 -not -alive. Disassembled.

This is a legit scandal. The Republicans like smear campaigns and it seems they picked a VP involved in one. It will be interesting to see them try to sweep this one under the rug.

I think it's funny as hell myself. I didn't even know her before she got picked, but the first article I read about her mentioned a scandal. :badgrin:

This is a legit scandal. The Republicans like smear campaigns and it seems they picked a VP involved in one. It will be interesting to see them try to sweep this one under the rug.

I think it's funny as hell myself. I didn't even know her before she got picked, but the first article I read about her mentioned a scandal. :badgrin:

It's not even much of a scandal. Bad cop breaks the game laws, tasers his 11 year old stepson, drives drunk, drinks in his squad car, threatens the life of his wife's father, threatens the life of the governor, and you expect her not to ask for his firing?

Seriously, I don't like micromanaging either, but I think she has a legitimate case to fire Monegan based on the Wooten allegations alone. And that's not even why she fired him.

Nice try.:lol: Republicans can't have it both ways. Palin is an unkown on the national level so one of the first things they will learn that she may be involved in an abuse of power scandal. Sounds familiar for a Republican.:eusa_boohoo:

She's been investigated by a bipartisan legislature. After they find nothing of substance, you'll see that it doesn't matter.

She's been investigated by a bipartisan legislature. After they find nothing of substance, you'll see that it doesn't matter.

Liberals are soooo funny. Palin fires a dead beat and she is a big ol bad crook.

Obama associates withand gives money to every crook in chicago that he knows,yet this he is the Messiah. Guess they have been smoking some mighty good crack :cuckoo:

Liberals are soooo funny. Palin fires a dead beat and she is a big ol bad crook.

Obama associates withand gives money to every crook in chicago that he knows,yet this he is the Messiah. Guess they have been smoking some mighty good crack :cuckoo:

well i wouldn't go as far as calling mr. wright a crook, but i would call him a racist.

It is quite amazing. I agree.

Suggesting that the Commissioner look into firing a police officer who broke the law is somehow a scandal.

Meanwhile, being questioned about associations with known terrorists is just a smear.

Exclusive: Chief Fired by Palin Speaks Out - Washington Post Investigations

This is just like what McCain did with Charles Keating.

And a conservative like you is such a liar.

Obama associates withand gives money to every crook in chicago that he knows,yet this he is the Messiah.

Oh, I know, it's just for emphacyst.

Keating Five, Keating Five Keating Five, Keating Five

Let's wait and see how it turns out.

It's not even much of a scandal. Bad cop breaks the game laws, tasers his 11 year old stepson, drives drunk, drinks in his squad car, threatens the life of his wife's father, threatens the life of the governor, and you expect her not to ask for his firing?

Seriously, I don't like micromanaging either, but I think she has a legitimate case to fire Monegan based on the Wooten allegations alone. And that's not even why she fired him.

Total crap. You are just repeating the lies she used to try and get her sister's husband fired. Hell, this governor women couldn't even get that done right as the government officials ignored her.

And you think its ok for the governor to fire her sister's husband after her private investigator turned up "allegations?"

Now listen, if this is your defense on this, then I will keep following this story because it stinks to high heaven. This might destroy the McCain ticket if the Democrats handle it right

All of this goes to show that it is not about minorities advancing, or women advancing, or whatever.... it is simply, for libs, about only having that happen if they are a lib.... if they are not a lib, it is open for the complete attack whether it is baseless or not

Forum List

Back