Washington Post needs to sell more papers?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
:wtf: explain please

Well the same group of people, mostly the left in America who claim the constitution is an everchanging document and who dismiss people as cattle who express patriotism are now holding up the Geneva Convention as an unwavering document. Just seems funny to me. Couldn't be for partisan political reasons could it? Where was the same outrage on the part of the left when Bubba bombed the aspirin factory on the day of his impeachment vote? A blatant display of scumbagness if there was ever one that actually resulted in death not torture.

Originally posted by OCA
Well the same group of people, mostly the left in America who claim the constitution is an everchanging document and who dismiss people as cattle who express patriotism are now holding up the Geneva Convention as an unwavering document. Just seems funny to me. Couldn't be for partisan political reasons could it? Where was the same outrage on the part of the left when Bubba bombed the aspirin factory on the day of his impeachment vote? A blatant display of scumbagness if there was ever one that actually resulted in death not torture.

ok, I can see how you think that of alot of people.

I'm still dismayed though, that you see the abuses in the prisons as funny.

ok, I can see how you think that of alot of people.

I'm still dismayed though, that you see the abuses in the prisons as funny.

I know you do that is why I don't talk about it much. My opinion on how to win and finish this deal is we are going to have to get down in the mud and beat them at their own game. We can't hold ourselves to a set of rules and the enemy plays by another and expect things to go well. I mean isn't that obvious?

Originally posted by OCA
I know you do that is why I don't talk about it much. My opinion on how to win and finish this deal is we are going to have to get down in the mud and beat them at their own game. We can't hold ourselves to a set of rules and the enemy plays by another and expect things to go well. I mean isn't that obvious?

No, we should have learned from the past that massive roundups of suspects, detaining them for long periods of time, and a general overall bad attitude in dealing with them does not work.

My strategy, if I were ever asked my opinion by the pentagon (hint, hint) is that I'd put about 20 seal teams and marine special forces units inside the city then use their own tactics against them. Small hit and runs taking out little groups of them when they least expect it. Eventually these murderous cowards would be too damn afraid to show their farkin face out in public.

Originally posted by OCA

Did you see Holbrooke on Hardball last night? Here is a part of the transcript:

HOLBROOKE: Did you see “The Battle of Algiers”?

MATTHEWS: Many years ago.

HOLBROOKE: It‘s an incredible movie.

MATTHEWS: OK.

HOLBROOKE: There‘s an incredible scene in it.

MATTHEWS: Again, they were somewhere before us.

HOLBROOKE: Well, this film was made in 1966.

MATTHEWS: Right.

HOLBROOKE: And there‘s an unbelievable scene in it where the general commanding in cleaning out the Casbah in Algiers, says to a press conference, do you want the French to stay in Algeria? Because, if you do, you have to accept the consequences, all the consequences. And then they pan, they fade into scenes of the kind of things we‘ve seen in Abu Ghraib, exactly. This is a 40-year-old film.

MATTHEWS: Torture scene, interrogations, the whole routine.

(CROSSTALK)

HOLBROOKE: Yes. They don‘t do dog leashes.

MATTHEWS: And why is that because? Because you have to get information from an underground if you‘re going to beat it.

No, we should have learned from the past that massive roundups of suspects, detaining them for long periods of time, and a general overall bad attitude in dealing with them does not work.

My strategy, if I were ever asked my opinion by the pentagon (hint, hint) is that I'd put about 20 seal teams and marine special forces units inside the city then use their own tactics against them. Small hit and runs taking out little groups of them when they least expect it. Eventually these murderous cowards would be too damn afraid to show their farkin face out in public.

Frankly, that is what I have heard that we actually did in Fallujah. We killed them using special ops then we let the Iraqis take over. Sure, we didn't get them all, but we got enough they didn't have much of a fight left in them.

Power hits(that sounds better than free and fun:D ) I guess I didn't catch the drift of that exchange between Holbrooke and Matthews. Did Matthews agree that we have to get in the mud or did Holbrooke agree, shit i'm lost help me out buddy!

Originally posted by OCA
Power hits(that sounds better than free and fun:D ) I guess I didn't catch the drift of that exchange between Holbrook and Matthews. Did Matthews agree that we have to get in the mud or did Holbrook agree, shit I'm lost help me out buddy!

It was funny, Holbrook brought it up, then when Chris pointed out the question of, "And why is that because? Because you have to get information from an underground if you‘re going to beat it."

They both easily changed to the subject. . . . I think they both realized they just, basically, gave our guys and excuse and they wished they hadn't....

Chris tried taking it back to the subject, but Holbrook kept dodging.... here is some more of the dialogue....

MATTHEWS: And why is that because? Because you have to get information from an underground if you‘re going to beat it.

HOLBROOK: Well, in urban fighting, particularly, which is even worse than Vietnam‘s circle canopy jungle fighting, this kind of thing happens.

But the question about these photographs in Abu Ghraib is that it seems to me to be more than just a handful of people at a low level. There was some kind of climate or culture that allowed it. I don‘t know enough about it. We‘re going to find out about it.

But let me just tell you, Chris. You mentioned my recent trips. I‘ve been in Europe, Central Asia, the Mideast and the Far East all in the last .....again, tries to change the subject

MATTHEWS: But you were saying another thing a moment ago, that it is part and parcel, what you have to do if you want to occupy a hostile country.

HOLBROOK: I...

MATTHEWS: Is there any other way to break the back of a resistance than being tough?

HOLBROOK: I am not in favor of violating the Geneva Conventions, because I think it puts our own troops at risk.

It was simply that you mentioned the French and my mind immediately went to that incredible scene in that film. By the way, six months ago, . . .
again, he dodges the subject which he brought up in the first place....
LINK

Forum List

Back