Washington may be about to recognise a third gender for the first time

Well now, here is an interesting story that is sure stimulate some discussion. But before you chime in, please read the whole post. I think that you will find it to be an eye opener. It sure was for me. Keep an open mind, and perhaps you will see the non-binary, gender fluid issue in a new light

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/12/06/washington-may-be-about-to-recognise-a-third-gender-for-the-first-time/

Washington may soon give non-binary people legal recognition.

The state has proposed adding a third gender, labelled ‘X’, to official documents like driving licenses and birth certificates.

At a public hearing for the plan, supporters are reported to have greatly outnumbered those in opposition.

During the meeting, which was standing room-only, young residents spoke up in defense of their rights.

One told those gathered: “As a kid growing up in the mid-west, it’s a dream for me to see a state like Washington taking a stand to legitimize non-binary identities, when a lot of the time we’re really invisible in a whole lot of places.”

Now before you all go bonkers and start blathering about the sky falling and the end of morality and sanity, consider this in the context of history. If you are somehow threatened or appalled by this, ask yourself why? How does it affect you? What is the impact on society considering the fact that there are ancient civilizations that incorporated this into their culture without any difficulties:

http://listverse.com/2015/10/21/10-examples-of-nonbinary-genders-throughout-history/

1) Sulawesi is a small island that is part of Indonesia, usually known for paradise beaches and leisurely vacations. It is also a place with radical views on gender and sex in their people. The Bugis (or “Buginese people”) of Sulawesi recognize four genders and an important fifth “metagender.”

Photo credit: Meutia Chaerani / Indradi Soemardjan

2) Sulawesi is a small island that is part of Indonesia, usually known for paradise beaches and leisurely vacations. It is also a place with radical views on gender and sex in their people. The Bugis (or “Buginese people”) of Sulawesi recognize four genders and an important fifth “metagender.”

3) In Turkey, dancing was a revered art form during the Ottoman Empire. People spent a lot of money to attend dance performances, including an infamous dance style performed by the kocek. The kocek were men who dressed in feminine clothing and performed exotic dances for audiences throughout the empire. Some of the kocek were amateurs, and some were even slaves. But many were professional, popular, and highly paid.

4) In many parts of rural Mexico, gay bashing and homophobia are common. However, the Zapotec in Oaxaca have always been more tolerant of non-straight and nonbinary identities. In fact, they recognize a third gender beyond male and female: muxes.

5) Although the Europeans who came to North America were largely homophobic and intolerant of nonbinary people, Native Americans have always recognized a third gender called “two-spirited people.” In fact, two-spirited people were revered by at least 155 tribes across North America as healers, caregivers, nannies of orphans, and visionaries.

6) While many of the third-gendered people on this list are not commonly known, the kathoeys (or “ladyboys”) of Thailand are often mentioned in pop culture. Kathoeys range from occasional cross-dressers to transsexuals, and they are seen as a third category of gender identity. They are so common in Thai society that a poll at one school revealed that 10 percent of its students identified as kathoey.

7) Many people are surprised that there is a third gender called warias in Indonesia, a largely Muslim nation with many conservative values. Warias can be males who feel like they should be women, cross-dressers, people who believe they are truly a third gender, and more. The word comes from a combination of wanita, which means “woman,” and pria, which means “man.”

8) In beautiful Hawaii, there has long been a tradition of a third gender of people named the mahu who fall somewhere between “male” and “female.” Mahus had their own roles in society and were respected as healers, teachers, and caretakers. Through the generations, they passed down knowledge on hula, songs, chants, and other Hawaiian wisdom. One reflection of the mahu people is evident in Hawaiian music, which often displays love stories that don’t conform to traditional Western gender norms.

9) In beautiful Hawaii, there has long been a tradition of a third gender of people named the mahu who fall somewhere between “male” and “female.” Mahus had their own roles in society and were respected as healers, teachers, and caretakers. Through the generations, they passed down knowledge on hula, songs, chants, and other Hawaiian wisdom. One reflection of the mahu people is evident in Hawaiian music, which often displays love stories that don’t conform to traditional Western gender norms.

10) In today’s world, the word “genderqueer” has become a form of identity for many people who feel frustrated by a gender binary system. This expression was created in the 1990s as an umbrella term for anyone who felt that they fell outside of strict “male” or “female” categories. The genderqueer movement grew tremendously because of the Internet, and today, many people prefer to identify as “genderqueer” rather than “male,” “female,” “transgender,” or something else.

Now lets keep it civil and thoughtful and let’s see if we can learn something from this.

5-kathoeys.jpg

Last edited:
Well now, here is an interesting story that is sure stimulate some discussion. But before you chime in, please read the whole post. I think that you will find it to be an eye opener. It sure was for me. Keep an open mind, and perhaps you will see the non-binary, gender fluid issue in a new light

I kept an open mind, and it's still nonsense.

Please explain Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recognize anything....

I mean apart from two sexes.

I know I know....don't want to hurt don't want to be abrupt.....but

Only 2 for moi.

Please explain Billy

Science. You are male or female. What you may believe about yourself does not change that.

If you are surgically altered to match your belief, it does not change what you are, but only applies a mask.

Please explain Billy

Science. You are male or female. What you may believe about yourself does not change that.

If you are surgically altered to match your belief, it does not change what you are, but only applies a mask.

Who is talking about "surgical alteration" You really haven't put much thought into the subject , have you? This is just your typical anti-intellectual , knee jerk reaction to something that's foreign to you. You really don't want to learn anything, or perhaps you're unable to learn.

There are two genders: Male and Female.

That's it.

That being said, if you have a mental illness and want to identify as non-binary, a chicken, or a chimpanzee, that is perfectly fine by me. Have at it. It's no skin off my nose.

That's it.

That being said, if you have a mental illness and want to identify as non-binary, a chicken, or a chimpanzee, that is perfectly fine by me. Have at it. It's no skin off my nose.
Thank you for that well thought out, sensitive and brilliant commentary. You are real asset to the USMB and do your utmost to raise the level of intellectual discourse. We applaud you sir!!

Please explain Billy

Who is talking about "surgical alteration" You really haven't put much thought into the subject , have you? This is just your typical anti-intellectual , knee jerk reaction to something that's foreign to you. You really don't want to learn anything, or perhaps you're unable to learn.

It's science. Discard it as you will.

Only 2 for moi.
Well good for you! Keep that mind closed tight. Don't let any sun light in!! Wallow in the safety of ignorance and the familiar.

Mental illness is not "light".

That's it.

Thank you for that well thought out, sensitive and brilliant commentary. You are real asset to the USMB and do your utmost to raise the level of intellectual discourse. We applaud you sir!!

Truth doesn't require any spin, sorry Sally.

No matter how you slice it, there are only 2 genders.

People that self identify as non-binary, genderqueer, chimpanzees, horses, chickens, donkey's, tranny, etc..are mentally ill.

They need mental help, not enablers.

Please explain Billy

No it’s not You only think so because you haven’t actually looked at the science of gender and are content to keep your head buried where the sun don’t shine for fear that you’re prejudice will be challenged

Please explain Billy

No it’s not You only think so because you haven’t actually looked at the science of gender and are content to keep your head nutrients where the sun don’t shine for fear that you’re prejudice will be challenged

Spoken like a genderqueer!! Good for you!

:cuckoo:

Only 2 for moi.
Well good for you! Keep that mind closed tight. Don't let any sun light in!! Wallow in the safety of ignorance and the familiar.

Mental illness is not "light".

That's it.

Truth doesn't require any spin, sorry Sally.

No matter how you slice it, there are only 2 genders.

People that self identify as non-binary, genderqueer, chimpanzees, horses, chickens, donkey's, tranny, etc..are mentally ill.

They need mental help, not enablers.
:bang3::bang3::bang3::bang3:I hoped for better here . Silly me :asshole:

Please explain Billy

No it’s not You only think so because you haven’t actually looked at the science of gender and are content to keep your head nutrients where the sun don’t shine for fear that you’re prejudice will be challenged

You don't know squat about me , but I know all that I need to know about you :night:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/12/06/washington-may-be-about-to-recognise-a-third-gender-for-the-first-time/

Washington may soon give non-binary people legal recognition.

The state has proposed adding a third gender, labelled ‘X’, to official documents like driving licenses and birth certificates.

At a public hearing for the plan, supporters are reported to have greatly outnumbered those in opposition.

During the meeting, which was standing room-only, young residents spoke up in defense of their rights.

One told those gathered: “As a kid growing up in the mid-west, it’s a dream for me to see a state like Washington taking a stand to legitimize non-binary identities, when a lot of the time we’re really invisible in a whole lot of places.”

Now before you all go bonkers and start blathering about the sky falling and the end of morality and sanity, consider this in the context of history. If you are somehow threatened or appalled by this, ask yourself why? How does it affect you? What is the impact on society considering the fact that there are ancient civilizations that incorporated this into their culture without any difficulties:

http://listverse.com/2015/10/21/10-examples-of-nonbinary-genders-throughout-history/

1) Sulawesi is a small island that is part of Indonesia, usually known for paradise beaches and leisurely vacations. It is also a place with radical views on gender and sex in their people. The Bugis (or “Buginese people”) of Sulawesi recognize four genders and an important fifth “metagender.”

Photo credit: Meutia Chaerani / Indradi Soemardjan

2) Sulawesi is a small island that is part of Indonesia, usually known for paradise beaches and leisurely vacations. It is also a place with radical views on gender and sex in their people. The Bugis (or “Buginese people”) of Sulawesi recognize four genders and an important fifth “metagender.”

3) In Turkey, dancing was a revered art form during the Ottoman Empire. People spent a lot of money to attend dance performances, including an infamous dance style performed by the kocek. The kocek were men who dressed in feminine clothing and performed exotic dances for audiences throughout the empire. Some of the kocek were amateurs, and some were even slaves. But many were professional, popular, and highly paid.

4)

In many parts of rural Mexico, gay bashing and homophobia are common. However, the Zapotec in Oaxaca have always been more tolerant of non-straight and nonbinary identities. In fact, they recognize a third gender beyond male and female: muxes.

5) Although the Europeans who came to North America were largely homophobic and intolerant of nonbinary people, Native Americans have always recognized a third gender called “two-spirited people.” In fact, two-spirited people were revered by at least 155 tribes across North America as healers, caregivers, nannies of orphans, and visionaries.

6) While many of the third-gendered people on this list are not commonly known, the kathoeys (or “ladyboys”) of Thailand are often mentioned in pop culture. Kathoeys range from occasional cross-dressers to transsexuals, and they are seen as a third category of gender identity. They are so common in Thai society that a poll at one school revealed that 10 percent of its students identified as kathoey.

7) Many people are surprised that there is a third gender called warias in Indonesia, a largely Muslim nation with many conservative values. Warias can be males who feel like they should be women, cross-dressers, people who believe they are truly a third gender, and more. The word comes from a combination of wanita, which means “woman,” and pria, which means “man.”

8) In beautiful Hawaii, there has long been a tradition of a third gender of people named the mahu who fall somewhere between “male” and “female.” Mahus had their own roles in society and were respected as healers, teachers, and caretakers. Through the generations, they passed down knowledge on hula, songs, chants, and other Hawaiian wisdom. One reflection of the mahu people is evident in Hawaiian music, which often displays love stories that don’t conform to traditional Western gender norms.

9) In beautiful Hawaii, there has long been a tradition of a third gender of people named the mahu who fall somewhere between “male” and “female.” Mahus had their own roles in society and were respected as healers, teachers, and caretakers. Through the generations, they passed down knowledge on hula, songs, chants, and other Hawaiian wisdom. One reflection of the mahu people is evident in Hawaiian music, which often displays love stories that don’t conform to traditional Western gender norms.

10)

11) In today’s world, the word “genderqueer” has become a form of identity for many people who feel frustrated by a gender binary system. This expression was created in the 1990s as an umbrella term for anyone who felt that they fell outside of strict “male” or “female” categories. The genderqueer movement grew tremendously because of the Internet, and today, many people prefer to identify as “genderqueer” rather than “male,” “female,” “transgender,” or something else.

Now lets keep it civil and thoughtful and let’s see if we can learn something from this.

5-kathoeys.jpg

“If you are somehow threatened or appalled by this, ask yourself why?”

Conservatives for the most part are threatened and appalled by this because they fear change, diversity, and expressions of individual liberty.

Conservatism is fundamentally authoritarian, seeking to compel conformity and punish dissent.

You don't know squat about me , but I know all that I need to know about you :night:

So what you're really saying is you aren't interested in actually debating the issue. You just wanted to virtue signal.

Good for you.

So what you're really saying is you aren't interested in actually debating the issue. You just wanted to virtue signal.

Good for you.

No ! You are saying that you don’t want to have an intelligent discussion. If you do , prove it or STFU

Forum List

Back